Feb 15, 2019, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

AutoCAD 2018 - drawing for laser cutting

Hi

I've drawn up a model in AutoCAD2018. The aim being to laser cut the parts. I've used the 'arc' functionality quite a lot for curved components, as oppose to polylines. Is this going to be a problem?

Cheers

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2019, 11:38 AM
I shouldn’t be. In CNC code an arc or radius is defined in one line giving end point , and the coordinates from the center of the radius.

The interpolation should give a smoother result instead of a jagged curve using short segmented lines. Less lines of code too.

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Mar 08, 2019, 12:07 AM
who has rabbit ears down
The biggest thing is the parent structures: It doe not matter if your AutoCAD ot TurboCAD Mac! Here's some basic guides:
the 'old' Eppler and some Selig foils have 150 points/lines per foil: Drela has 1500
Therefore, whether your "curve"- a line no matter the shape, is ALWAYS going to be micro lines, the lines usually show in magnafications.
As Jim mentioned, ( And I'm thinking a Milltronics program write) The fine tuning of these steps is controlled by the servo drive(s) on the machine, and now that I'm retired, the last I've heard a few months ago, is machines are running 27 Axii now!
Super fine on the 'curves'= I set my drawings with curves Superfine, surfaces and solids get their post edit from medium to super Fine.
The nesting and Vias (used for keeping parts on the sheet till you break them free) is the slow part of laser files ( look up my blog pix)= Vias, I was told by "my Laser guy" are usually .080 circle trimmings, putting a gap in the previous "straight' line, all lasered texts need to be converted to lines ( I use Plotter text)
more torments upon more questions!
Latest blog entry: My "Kubiak" Collection
Apr 25, 2019, 08:51 AM
When I was doing a lot of CNC plate cutting I could only use lines and arc only, had to be in DXF files only.

It was pain but that was the only way , this dates back to late 1990s
I hop this has been fix by now.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick666
Hi

I've drawn up a model in AutoCAD2018. The aim being to laser cut the parts. I've used the 'arc' functionality quite a lot for curved components, as oppose to polylines. Is this going to be a problem?

Cheers

Mike
Last edited by smithdoor; Apr 25, 2019 at 08:59 AM.
May 16, 2019, 11:08 AM
Arcs and curves are the best to use for smooth cuts. I have 2 CNC machines and use Vectric software for carbon fiber and aluminum parts and convert everything to arcs or bezier curves for smooth, rounded edges. Cutting curves that are made up of many short straight line is a pain and isn't smooth.

Contact the company that is going to make the parts and ask them what they want to see. The "cleaner" you make the file for them the less expensive it'll be.

Shawn

Quick Reply