Feb 25, 2019, 01:35 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTeamBladeRC
Hey Guys!
Wow- this looks great! I am thinking about this , as my first ARF Kit. As I am not new to 3D/XA ( foam) I am to balsa/ building, or should I say Assembley?
Hopefully this will help: Miscellaneous Build And Set Up Tricks

The Edge generally makes a great first 3D balsa plane. What's really nice about the 52 is that the self aligning stabilizer makes the build nearly goof proof. Slide the stab all the way forward and then run a bead of thin CA into the joint. Done. All you really have to sweat is getting the hinges right, but read the link above and you should be ok.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2019, 01:38 PM
Perfect, Thanks!
Feb 25, 2019, 05:43 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Love this plane.
Feb 25, 2019, 06:40 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Feb 25, 2019, 06:48 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Wing tips... cool enough for sure but are they a net positive or net negative?
On the 64" MXS, the near consensus was that the SFGs are good but the racing tips, not as much.
It'll be interesting to hear what the final verdict will be.
Feb 25, 2019, 07:42 PM
I assembled mine without any instructions... not even for CG or throws. The self aligning stab is nice but I measured mine before I glued. Had to make a small adjustment. Other than that... just use a fresh bottle of CA for the hinges. Old thin CA doesn't work well. The EF metal servo arms make the process really nice as well. I would recommend them if you can afford them.

Got an even 5 min out of the 3000 4S 55C packs. Maybe I will try a 3300 just to get another minute of flight time.

I had to turn down the gain from 15 to 12 on the ailerons (Jeti Assist receiver). The rudder and elevator I left at 15 and might be able to crank those up a little.

Probably will fly it again tomorrow as the winds are supposed to be a lot better than today.
Feb 25, 2019, 09:15 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Glad you are getting it dialed in, Swill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
Wing tips... cool enough for sure but are they a net positive or net negative?
On the 64" MXS, the near consensus was that the SFGs are good but the racing tips, not as much.
It'll be interesting to hear what the final verdict will be.
These are about the same shape and relative size to the ones on the 60" Yak, and on that plane the effect was not much. I think all they do is look cool.
Feb 26, 2019, 12:54 AM
Team Extreme Flight
I have not had a chance to fly her yet, but I don't care. I took an extra day or so to piddle around with it and fix a couple things I wasn't happy about. It was just OCD kind of stuff, but now I'm really happy with it. It was a really sweet build and I really enjoyed it. This is a damm nice airplane.

We hope to shoot tomorrow, and I'll have and flight test report on my blog tomorrow night if everything goes right.

Feb 26, 2019, 11:42 AM
Team Extreme Flight
I've got a brand new plane and it's going to rain all day.
Feb 26, 2019, 11:45 AM
Crazy 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Doc good luck on your maiden ....... waiting the fly report
Feb 26, 2019, 12:22 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy 3D
Doc good luck on your maiden ....... waiting the fly report
Weren't you getting one? Anyone named Crazy 3D has got to have an Edge!

The rain s going to hammer us literally all day long, so no maiden today. This is extremely disappointing because expectations were high after a seamless build. I've just been tinkering and checking everything, and I've had so much time this is probably the best prepared plane I have ever had.

This new Edge looks a lot more racy than any Edge I've ever seen. I like the color scheme with all the straight lines and angles, and it just looks fast. All my Edges so far have been really quick, so that's what I am expecting here. I'm also expecting it to be at least as stable, and probably more than my other 52s, so it's going to be fun finding the limit. So far, a most excellent project, and now scraping nickels together to fund a back up.

This plane came out so nice I took a lot of additional pictures: 3DHS 52" Edge Photo Storage
Feb 26, 2019, 07:23 PM
Crazy 3D
Hahahahaha thats right Doc, Im more a fan of the Extra than the Edge, but I think this one would be awesome, that’ s why Im waitin for your fly report, sure I will get one in Orange, I have the Laser 48” and fly super cool, without mentioning the 104 Extra V2 and the 91 Laser
Feb 26, 2019, 09:33 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy 3D
Doc, Im more a fan of the Extra than the Edge,
I'm an Extra man too, but I like Edges too. This one looks so racy I had to get one, and will probably get another.

Quote:
.............but I think this one would be awesome, that’ s why Im waitin for your fly report,
I'm pretty confident it's going to be strong.

Looks like we are going to get hammered with rain about 3pm, but we hope to squeeze in a few packs and maybe get some video.
Feb 27, 2019, 05:50 AM
Where did that tree come from
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
We had a window of sun shine yesterday. But rain for the next five days again.
Feb 27, 2019, 12:28 PM
Team Extreme Flight
More rain today, but we might have a small window about 3pm.

Mostly I have neglected to tell you how nice the whole package is. I think you have to build a 52" using all the Xessories to get the complete experience, but it's worth it. Everything on the kit fits perfectly and the Xessories are a perfect compliment, almost like they were meant for these planes!

Also, after looking at the plane for awhile, especially when applying the decals, I have a deep appreciation for the racing themed color scheme and overall presentation with racing canopy and wing tips, not to even mention the checkerboard bottom. Very racy, which lends itself perfectly to this plane.

Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 27, 2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply