Jul 15, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like the Deans will work just fine then. Now to decide on a color scheme..........
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 12:48 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger
Thanks guys. Sounds like the Deans will work just fine then. Now to decide on a color scheme..........
The orange seems to be the most popular, but I ended up with both.
Jul 15, 2019, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
The orange seems to be the most popular, but I ended up with both.
Doc always ends up with both of every plane scheme.
Jul 15, 2019, 07:59 PM
Leaning toward the orange scheme I think.
Jul 15, 2019, 08:51 PM

OATW and new video

Quote:
Leaning toward the orange scheme I think.
Orange All The Way and is there any new video of the 52" Edge?
Jul 15, 2019, 09:17 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
Orange All The Way and is there any new video of the 52" Edge?
More on my blog.

(4 min 10 sec)
Jul 15, 2019, 09:53 PM

Delightful

Jolly good old chap!

Now we need to see video with audible motor sounds of the red and yellow 52 Velox!
Jul 15, 2019, 11:47 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
Jolly good old chap!

Now we need to see video with audible motor sounds of the red and yellow 52 Velox!
I really want to get that done, but right now I'm just spent out.
Jul 16, 2019, 04:54 AM
Man I have to tell you Doc, I can see the huge difference in your flying over the years. I've been getting caught up going over old threads and videos. Looking at some of your vids with 48" planes from the past compared to the 52" planes of the present with the Aura system is a whole other world of difference.
Jul 16, 2019, 11:08 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinteriorguy
I've been getting caught up going over old threads and videos. Looking at some of your vids with 48" planes from the past compared to the 52" planes of the present with the Aura system is a whole other world of difference.
Since you've been out awhile, rest assured everything has changed completely. Better planes, better power systems, better Xessories, better servos and just more fun.

The 52 is a better plane, so that plays it's part. Still, the 48 is definitely firmly in the game, but more on that a little later.

The 52 is the perfect storm. The Extra and Slick came out about the same time gyros started to get traction in the market, and once we started enjoying that benefit we were looking around for better servos. Between Hitec, MKS and KST there are a lot of great servos, but I chose ProModeler and refit every plane I owned.

With the servos and gyro working together, and the airframes being so far advanced, it's a different world. If you flew any of my 52s you would be shocked.

The difference between what we were using and the newest premium servos are torque and speed, naturally, but the centering is much more critical to getting a perfectly trimmed plane. When the servos center properly, the plane trims out and stays trimmed out. This plays out big in precision, and even in 3D because the plane goes where you point it, and stays where you put it every single time. It is probably impossible to overstate how much this improves how the plane flies, and also how well you fly it. When you come out of a maneuver, you let off the control confident it isn't going to dive or climb or roll or yaw off. It's going to do what you tell it to do like never before, and this halves the work load and stress on the pilot. The plane tracks like an arrow, so you don't have to fly it every single second. Point, shoot, relax, point, shoot, relax.

That, and there is an intangible that's hard to explain. With premium servos, I just feel better connected to the plane. Much better connected to the point there is never going to be any going back.

If you shop carefully you can buy premium servos for only a little more, or in some cases, the same money as a regular servo. In the end this means I can outfit a 52 with Aura and DS100 super premium super mega wonder servos for only about $100 more than with regular equipment, which turns the plane from state of the art to deadly serious
Jul 16, 2019, 11:45 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Don't count the 48s out though. Not only is the V2 going to be a substantial improvement, but we will have premium servos for that plane shortly. I'm testing a 48" V1 Extra with the Aura and some prototype DS85 servos and it's sublimely dreamy to fly. It's smooth, solid and flies like a big plane, only it keeps that small plane agility advantage. In short, the Extra EXP was ten years ahead of it's time, but now that the equipment can keep up, we might be getting close to unlocking all the potential this plane has always had. That's why it's the perfect time for the V2.

While I have not flown a V2 Extra yet, I have seen the benefits the lighter, stronger, stiffer mixed composite construction in the 60" planes and the 3DHS 52s. I expect the same sort of improvement in the 48.

As you can imagine, the Aura helps the little plane more than the larger one. Where the little plane gives up to the larger one is stability, but a good stability system narrows that gap considerably, though you keep the small plane agility advantage. For me, this pulls the 48s right back into the fight with the 52 and even the 60. This is great news for folks who require small plane practicality, and even big plane pilots who still need a practical practice plane.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I'm slowly getting up to speed with the latest greatest gear. I'm hoping my new business starts cranking before this flying season ends so I can get into some of the new stuff. Once school starts and soccer season starts my access to my flying spots gets pretty limited until soccer gets over later this fall. Until then I'll just keep beating on my old stuff. I'm just now getting comfortable again with my skills so should be destroying something soon. I'm pushing things pretty hard again and somethings bound to give.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:59 PM

Rudder authority

Doc,

Which plane has more rudder authority? The 52" Edge or the 52" Velox?
Jul 21, 2019, 06:40 AM
Question for those of you Edge owners who are using the DS100 servos from Pro Modeler all around. Does the servo come with useful arms that can be utilized or do I need to perhaps buy some aluminum arms from EF?
Jul 21, 2019, 11:56 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Question for those of you Edge owners who are using the DS100 servos from Pro Modeler all around. Does the servo come with useful arms that can be utilized or do I need to perhaps buy some aluminum arms from EF?
I run a combination of the Xessories 1.25 arm and the ProModeler PDRS101 arm. Check my blog report for set up photos.

Quick Reply