Thread Tools
Jan 16, 2005, 11:23 PM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
Yogi's Avatar
is there a convention to put the male bullet connector on the positive or negative battery terminal? When I went to Denver last year, all the team guys had theirs the opposite of mine. It seemed easier to solder the male connector to the positive battery button, and the neg femal connector to the negative battery end. Does it matter, and is one way better than another?

~~fred
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2005, 12:47 AM
Registered User
rcelectfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
is there a convention to put the male bullet connector on the positive or negative battery terminal? When I went to Denver last year, all the team guys had theirs the opposite of mine. It seemed easier to solder the male connector to the positive battery button, and the neg femal connector to the negative battery end. Does it matter, and is one way better than another?

~~fred
The only reason to do do it one way or the other is if you want to be compatable with someone else so you can share battery packs and charging leads. Otherwise it makes no difference.

Chuck
Jan 17, 2005, 07:22 AM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly
The only reason to do do it one way or the other is if you want to be compatable with someone else so you can share battery packs and charging leads. Otherwise it makes no difference.

Chuck
For the battery, shouldn't the (-) be the male and the (+) be the female that is covered in heatshink? This appears safer to me knowing the whole case of the pack is (-).
Last edited by down_shift; Jan 17, 2005 at 09:07 AM.
Jan 17, 2005, 08:58 AM
Speed Demon
GregG's Avatar
I'm getting ready to switch all of my battery packs over to bullet connectors. I was wondering the same thing. I do like your suggestion DS, makes great sence to me as the barrel side should get the shrink wrap.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up Yogi.
Jan 17, 2005, 11:29 AM
Registered User
argarre's Avatar
Actually, 4 of us in Denver run with female leads (2) on the batteries. This makes it easiest because there is no gold exposed for a possible short. Then the esc's have 2 males.
Jan 17, 2005, 11:35 AM
Registered User
davidfee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
For the battery, shouldn't the (-) be the male and the (+) be the female that is covered in heatshink?
Heatshrink??? It will melt or split, I promise you! You can wrap the tubes (female) in Kapton in some applications, but no heatshrink in F5B/D.

-David
Jan 17, 2005, 01:51 PM
Registered User
argarre's Avatar
Double wall heatshrink has held up very well.
Jan 17, 2005, 05:05 PM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
Heatshrink??? It will melt or split, I promise you! You can wrap the tubes (female) in Kapton in some applications, but no heatshrink in F5B/D.

-David
David - my kapton wrapped GP3300 packs are routinely over 205 degrees F, but the heat shrink covered 5.5mm connectors are fine. Okay to call us what we are out here on the east........ bush league.
Jan 17, 2005, 05:48 PM
Registered User
davidfee's Avatar
You guys must have better heatshrink than me. I tried it once... it only lasted a couple flights.

-David
Jan 17, 2005, 05:53 PM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfee
You guys must have better heatshrink than me.....
.......or lower resistance connectors.
Jan 17, 2005, 06:01 PM
Registered User
down_shift's Avatar
David,

Try some temperature-sensitive tape. Kitfoxdrvr was nice enough to hook me up with some. It works great and the stickers are ~ 1/8" by 1/4". I'll try a few on the connectors.
Jan 17, 2005, 06:06 PM
electron liberator
jaywatay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by argarre
Actually, 4 of us in Denver run with female leads (2) on the batteries. This makes it easiest because there is no gold exposed for a possible short. Then the esc's have 2 males.
You just have to make sure you have the polarity correct when you plug them in so you will not short the esc correct?
Jan 18, 2005, 12:55 AM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
kitfoxdrvr's Avatar
David,

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of the strips Russ mentioned. They work great for indicating whether or not you exceed a given temperature at any time, at a minimal weight (a piece of paper!).


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brits - How many Ezone'ing English Gentlemen and Ladies are there out there dave_lilley Electric Plane Talk 119 Jan 23, 2005 11:30 AM
What other battery choices are there? temacc Batteries and Chargers 0 Sep 02, 2002 02:45 PM
Looking for a small battery connector. What do you use ? RonJ Parkflyers 18 Jul 12, 2002 10:04 PM
Are there any Model companies that make slow flyer Warbirds? mrebman Parkflyers 3 Jul 20, 2001 09:18 PM
Are there any slowflyers that.... cheapflyr Parkflyers 5 Jun 06, 2001 10:50 PM