Jan 17, 2005, 09:37 AM
Thread OP

TD flying in Fort Lauderdale

I've got two trips coming up in the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Fl. area and would like to fly TD sailplanes with some local RC groups friends.

Anybody interested so that the travel plans could be modified accordingly?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2005, 04:04 PM
AMA 112851
evan, as far as I know there are no TD guys in Ft. Lauderdale but there are a couple of clubs that fly slope/thermal off of a couple of old landfills. MiamiMike of VVSS on this forum is a good contact. Here are the links to the fields: Vista View Soaring Society and Pompano Hill Flyers

Tom
Homestead, Fl
50 miles south of Ft Lauderdale
Jan 19, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evan,

If you have electric gliders, I fly at Markham Park. My friend Walter and I are all thats left of about 10 guys that use to fly Electric gliders there. Let me know if you fly electric and when you are coming down.

Gilbert

P.S. Vista Veiw is about 3-4 miles southeast of Markham
Jan 19, 2005, 05:02 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
We've already invited Evan up to the Pompano hill by private message. You can join us too sometime if you like, Gilbert.

There are quite a few of us in the club who are into thermal duration with pure gliders. We often set up a winch or hi-start at the hill when there's not much slope lift, and we even brought home some iron from the last Tangerine contest in Orlando.
Latest blog entry: How To Get a Custom AMA Number
Jan 19, 2005, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the warm reception gentlemen and am looking forward to flying with you folks.

I primarily fly TD sailplanes off a winch and havn't flown my electric since last winter. I also discovered recently that "somebody" dropped something on the fuse and it sustained considerable damage but i'll try to fix it.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for more than a year and in Coconut Grove for more than 10 years but I never knew that the landfill and vista park locations had RC flyers. The Markham park location didn't have anybody flying on the day I visited a little over a year ago.

This site (or maybe my computer) seems to be having technical difficulties since it could not be accessed by myself for quite sometime today; the letters and images are still quite messed-up and I hope it gets better soon.
Jan 22, 2005, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
The schedule is all set-up and and I get to play for 4 days and work on the other two. I will PM you guys with my schedule and information.
I'm really pumped-up for this trip since the weather hasn't been very cooperative this year here in MN. The last time I was able to fly was on New Years Day in Dallas We had about 7-10" of snow over the past 24 hours due to a winter storm that is now troubling the northeast. Here is a picture of my son after the clean-up.
Jan 23, 2005, 12:36 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
Here is a picture of my son after the clean-up.
And what did he look like before you cleaned him up?

We had a really great day at the hill today. It was warm and sunny with lots of thermal activity. I hope it's that good when you're here.
Jan 23, 2005, 01:02 AM
Thread OP
It's great that you all had a great time, wish I was flying too. BTW here is the before picture:
Jan 23, 2005, 01:07 AM
Thread OP
The snowman picture was actually from Doctors without Borders to bring attention to the homeless during the winters in Moscow.
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/index.shtml
Feb 23, 2005, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
Got the Sportube loaded with 2 sailplanes, hope the TSA guys dont put any holes on the wings
Praying the weather cooperates and get some flying with you guys this Saturday.
Feb 23, 2005, 12:34 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Are you signed up with Mike Williams? I hope so. There's a copy of the agreement at http://www.vvsss.com/agreement.htm. It has to be printed out, signed, and turned in to Waste Management Company by Mike ahead of time.
Feb 23, 2005, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Hello Mike,

Yes, I am. I also joined the club since my son wants to go down for spring break; guess what I want to do
Feb 23, 2005, 06:03 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Great! When you come, bring sunblock and beverages, and save your appetite for our regular Saturday after-sloping Italian dinner a few blocks from the hill.
Mar 04, 2005, 09:40 PM
Thread OP

Back to reality

I'm back to good old and a little cold MN and had a great time with the guys at Ft. Lauderdale. We flew Saturday and everybody had a great time.

Here are some pictures:

The first picture is my Sportube containing both my TD planes being loaded on the WRONG plane. All was well though since the plane also went to Ft. Lauderdale, the Sportube just arrived ahead of me
Mar 04, 2005, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Here are a few pictures of the great guys that were my host. RC Groupers are MiamiMike who has a yellow shirt in front row, James has the gray shirt and hat in the front row and Radian is on the right rear holding a Mantis. Club Prez is Mike Williams seated on right front with white shirt.

Radian showed us how to handle that Mantis and had some pretty awesome flights. I picked-up some nice points from everybody and they sure had nice planes.
Last edited by evan; Mar 04, 2005 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply