Feb 01, 2020, 11:37 AM
Cloudrider
Kevin, can you clarify "does not come into play"?

I believe I've seen (slow motion video) and experienced it doing just that.........other than the fact you're holding the pivot point in your hand, thus fixing/damping and airframe yaw forces. Surely the forces are present, even if they only present in yaw forces on the boom.

I agree, as intended, that from the flight profile and launch phase, actual release point is where it's all relevant.

Paul. UK.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2020, 12:02 PM
solastagia
The fin is just trailing during the launch circle, not developing much lift. The offset incidence angle of the cambered fins means it behaves as a symmetrical section would during the circle. It is only at release when there is a sudden large side slip angle and fin angle of attack increase that the cambered section comes into play.

You can see the rudder angle of attack in the top plot of launch_timetraces from Dr, Drela's simulations below. You can also see the sudden spike in the fin lift at release in Dr. Drela's launch gif - the fin lift is shown in the centre plot the shorter line near the centre of the plot. The gif goes through the final bit of the launch rotation, and then the release and the first two tail wags.

I believe the rudder offset used in the old days was more to compensate for the fins being too small, rarely with a decent airfoil, and there being too much flex in the old booms.

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Feb 01, 2020 at 12:18 PM.
Feb 01, 2020, 12:09 PM
Thank you everyone for the quick clarification! I do want to note the quality of the fit and finish that I see on this 1 meter dlg are just outstanding. The carbon tail feathers are beautiful. I picked the yellow and pink Firetiger with the pink nose cone...should be easy to see.

Keith
Last edited by kkerstetter9; Feb 01, 2020 at 04:11 PM.
Feb 01, 2020, 12:12 PM
Cloudrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel
The fin is just trailing during the launch circle, not developing much lift. The offset incidence angle of the cambered fins means it behaves as a symmetrical section would during the circle. It is only at release when there is a sudden large side slip angle and fin angle of attack increase that the cambered section comes into play.

You can see the rudder angle of attack in the top plot of launch_timetraces from Dr, Drela's simulations below. You can also see the sudden spike the fin lift at release in Dr. Drela's launch gif - the fin lift is shown in the centre plot the shorter line near the centre of the plot. The gif goes through the final bit of the launch rotation, and then the release and the first two tail wags.

I believe the rudder offset used in the old days was more to compensate for the fins being too small, rarely with a decent airfoil, and there being too much flex in the old booms.

Kevin
Thanks for the links Kevin, I've read most of Marks research over the years. I just wanted to check my understanding. The forces are present, but just not consequential while the pegs secured to the pilots hand.

Cheers Paul.
Feb 01, 2020, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
Progressing 2 a day

---

Due to the Coronavirus lockdown in China right now (everything is currently closed until Feb10) this next batch of 15 models I will not ship to my warehouse, and will instead post up here to be sold with a 10% discount.

Anyone waiting for a Deviant from China and want to take one of these instead let me know and I will arrange it.

If you see a model you like, send me a PM and I'll get that processed for you!
Last edited by ThomasLee; Feb 01, 2020 at 09:03 PM.
Feb 02, 2020, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Pink and white taken

Depending on the graphic the prices for the above models are $480 or $490 Canadian Dollars + Shipping ($360 - $370 US Dollars) BEFORE discount. Take 10% off.

--

Flying season is around the corner - get 10% off a Deviant NOW!

Due to the lockdown in China which is affecting our warehouse there, we will be shipping these direct from the factory in Ukraine. Please send me a message for availability. If the graphics you want isn't available, send me a message as well and we will have it made for you.
Last edited by ThomasLee; Feb 02, 2020 at 09:13 PM.
Feb 06, 2020, 11:56 PM
Thread OP
I have received a bunch of Deviant orders in the past couple of days for planes both in-stock and custom made.
These are the Deviants that are still available for shipment next week - these kits will still be shipped from Ukraine.
If what you want is not available in the list below, we can make it for you. Lead time approx 1-2 weeks.

Discount -10% off

Strong - red camo
Strong - blue camo
Strong - green camo
Standard - pink+white firetiger
Strong - orange+white firetiger
Standard - orange+yellow firetiger
Strong - green+yellow firetiger
Feb 08, 2020, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Two new custom Deviants out of the moulds
Feb 09, 2020, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Rivan, have you had a chance to try and flip it back yet? What glue did you use for the build?
So... my attempt at taking that tail fin off without damaging it was not successful. It came apart. So I spoke with Thomas earlier, messaged on FB for the cost. And about $50 Canadian Dollar to get a replacement vertical tail, which I'll probably order later on this month.

The best I understand it, is when you launch a DLG up. The Gforce of the rotational launch is awesome. But when it goes up, it arcs away from the launcher, when it goes up, the faster it goes, the more it arcs away. So to counter that there is an airfoil on the tail. So, the Airfoil generates sidways lift. So if like what I had it would not only have the rotational arch away from the launcher, the airfoil would add to that arch away from me, and create even more of a curve away from the launch.

I would feel with your fingers to feel the arch on there. The top of the airfoil, should go on the side where you are launching from. In this case, the cut is on the bottom side to the airfoil. (Flat side/Less curved side). The control horn when the tail is flat, is on the bottom side of the airfoil. Which when the spring is in, will fold the tail up.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Last edited by Rivan81; Feb 09, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
Feb 10, 2020, 04:22 AM
Just put the hinge gap with the rudder horn on the opposite side to your throwing peg.

Done.
Feb 10, 2020, 09:20 AM
Wayne Wimbish
What Mark said.

Sorry I confused the issue about the airfoiled side. The hinge cut and the horn go on the side away from the peg side.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 10, 2020, 08:06 PM
Don’t be sorry. “Why” things are done a specific way reinforces the “What” we doing. I just learned exactly why the hinge gap goes on the far side of the peg.

I think a thank you is in order to those posting. Especially Rivan for posting his mistake. That GIF posted by Kevin. Very interesting.

Beautiful DLG Thomas. I’m not good enough for one.....yet. Hopefully by the end of summer.
Feb 11, 2020, 09:22 AM
spender of too much $$$
i agree, dont be sorry.
im learning and have not built my dlg yet. i learned something from that mistake and glad he said something.
dlg's are not a common thing and most of us come to these forums to learn as they dont come with instructions! i have been scouring these forums for weeks now and have learned ALOT
Feb 11, 2020, 10:05 PM

Spektrum receivers for Deviant ?

Hi, would anyone happen to know if the Spektrum AR6610T telemetry receiver will fit into the Deviant? Thanks John
Feb 11, 2020, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFVB
Hi, would anyone happen to know if the Spektrum AR6610T telemetry receiver will fit into the Deviant? Thanks John
I was looking at those, and thought against it when I saw one in person. I couldn't imagine trying to fit that in there. Of the Spektrum, I was barely able to fit the AR410 4-Channel Sport Receiver (SPMAR410). Even that is a tight fit.

Quick Reply