Feb 14, 2019, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Deviant - *NEW* 1 meter - ArmSoar

The GO Mini was an important project for us where we totally strayed from the 1-meter market norm and created this model with a big fat wing and a totally different perspective on how to get the most out of the 1-meter restriction. A couple years down the road the demand for the GO Mini is still strong and the low aspect ratio design on a 1-meter has proven to be cutting edge, but we need to always be making something good even better.

The biggest improvement of the Deviant over the GO Mini is the overall quality of the model. Having our BAMF made in the Ukraine has really set the bar up high in the quality department, and so we have brought production of the Deviant also to the Ukraine where it can be made to the highest possible quality. The quality of the Deviant at the time of production will be at least as good as the BAMF models.

The second major change is the refined aerodynamics of the model. Now utilizing the complete 1-meter wingspan, the Deviant has a similar (BIG) wing area as the GO Mini but with a thinner section, higher taper, and higher aspect ratio. The nose was made smaller in profile and shortened while the boom length was increased along with the size of the tail surfaces. The result should be a marked increase in launch height with better performance at even at the lower weights that the Deviant will be coming in at compared to the GO Mini. The Deviant will be keeping the awesome ballast capabilities of the GO Mini which sets it far apart from other 1-meter designs in tougher conditions.

Upgrading from XPS to Rohacell for cores, you can now use CA to build your whole Deviant. It should be a similar build time as a BAMF, so roughly 2 hours or so from start to finish for most people. The launch blade is the same 3D Blade design we use on the BAMF but with a much lighter layup. To prevent you from mixing it up, all Deviant blades will be painted on the outboard side (the side facing the wingtip) in fluorescent yellow.

The very first test model was out of the molds and immediately shipped out last Wednesday (Feb 6), arrived in Ohio on Monday (Feb 11), completed on Tuesday (Feb 12), and the maiden flight will be on Friday (Feb 15) in San Felasco hours before the 1-meter contest.
While this is the first model out of the molds the quality is already quite high but you will notice itís not quite up to the BAMF quality yet. All details have been looked at on this model, mold designs are being tweaked, and the final molds are being milled right now, so if you like what you see on this prototype and the BAMF then youíll love the Deviant. The quality of the Deviant will be at least on the same level as the BAMF. Iím still trying to figure out an awesome paint scheme for the model, it will hopefully be ready in the next few days.

If youíre interested in seeing how it flies and launches and will be at San Felasco this weekend, go say HI to Gavin and heíll be more than happy to let you go on a test drive with his prototype.

Once the molds are done (the aluminum on the fuse mold is being finished as we speak) the builders are going to build my 2 test models, and once I get them, build them and give the thumbs up, then we will be entering production. We are expecting the first models to be ready to ship to customers mid March.

Iím not sure if I will run a pre-order for the model like the GO Mini or just sell them as they come in stock in my warehouse, but Iíll let you guys know soon.
Last edited by ThomasLee; Feb 18, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2019, 10:08 PM
so now we know what the NT was for. Looks good man
Feb 14, 2019, 10:19 PM
Flying Low
Looks awesome.
Feb 15, 2019, 09:01 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Ok spill it. What's the proposed cost? I like the idea of an even higher launching 1m.
Feb 15, 2019, 09:59 AM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
Can't wait to see this in person! Great job continuing to push the envelope Thomas!
Feb 15, 2019, 12:06 PM
I love it! Great work Armsoar! Now for a cool paint scheme....
Feb 15, 2019, 01:14 PM
Can you post a side-by-side planform image of the Go Mini and the Deviant?

Thanks,

Woody
Feb 15, 2019, 02:12 PM
iVoid Warranties

Paint Schemes

Looks sweet Thomas!
How is this for paint?
Feb 15, 2019, 03:04 PM
plays with toy planes
Congrats Thomas! Very cool. Eager to see one IRL.
Feb 15, 2019, 03:36 PM
Team Futaba
Looks great Thomas, looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for color schemes.
Feb 15, 2019, 06:19 PM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
Pretty awesome debut for the Deviant with Gavin winning the 1M “World Championship” at San Felasco today! Oh, and a Go Mini came in 2nd with Noah Myers!
Last edited by plankaujr; Feb 15, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Feb 15, 2019, 08:07 PM
Last edited by QuadFlopper; Feb 15, 2019 at 11:47 PM.
Feb 16, 2019, 07:55 AM
GliderGuiderCrasher
Thomas: The deviant looks great. I finished up a go mini late last year and it is a great flying plane. Looking forward to the deviant and will likely be buying one when they hit full production.
Feb 16, 2019, 02:12 PM
Micro all the flying things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
The biggest improvement of the Deviant over the GO Mini is the overall quality of the model. Having our BAMF made in the Ukraine has really set the bar up high in the quality department, and so we have brought production of the Deviant also to the Ukraine where it can be made to the highest possible quality. The quality of the Deviant at the time of production will be at least as good as the BAMF models.
Thomas: Crazy to think you already have a new 1m model. The launch of the Go Mini seems like yesterday.

The Go Mini has been on my wishlist since its launch. But I still haven't had a chance to jump into the DLG world. Whether the Deviant replaces the Go Mini on my wishlist will depend mostly on price. So I'm very curious to find out what the Deviant costs and whether there will be any options, e.g. glass v. carbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankaujr
Pretty awesome debut for the Deviant with Gavin winning the 1M “World Championship” at San Felasco today! Oh, and a Go Mini came in 2nd with Noah Myers!
Thanks for the heads up, Paul! That is a great showing for ArmSoar as a whole, too.

PS/Edit: There are pictures of the Deviant prototype in the San Felasco 2019 thread!

Noah (kneeling) with Go Mini on left, RCG Editor Jason (gray shirt) with Go Mini, Gavin (blue shirt) with Deviant in center

1m champion Gavin, posing with Deviant prototype
Last edited by Brainstorm; Feb 16, 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Feb 16, 2019, 03:12 PM
Thread OP

Deviant debuts at San Felasco 2019

Thank you guys for the comments and support!

Every time I develop a new plane I always lose sleep leading up the the testing phase... What if it doesn't launch well? What if it doesn't perform to our expectations? What if it simply sucks? It was doubly worse this time because of the time constraint the first one went directly to Gavin before I have even held one in my hands. We had no real settings yet, no real CG, everything was just guesses for Gavin to go on to build out and have the maiden flights a few hours before the competition.

Luckily we pulled it off again and the messages I got from Gavin after he got it somewhat set up was very very encouraging, certainly slept good last night! I'll let Gavin talk about it more after he gets more stick time on it, and I'll give my impressions after I get my hands on my models which will be built next week.

For now, will let the results speak for themselves Noah grabs 2nd in San Felasco with the GO Mini and Gavin takes 1st with the prototype Deviant. Honestly I was just hoping he'd get on the podium given the lack of time to setup and 'learn' the model... truly an awesome surprise and shows Gavin's incredible piloting skills.

Pricing will be $480 CAD and up depending on the graphics (maybe an extra $10 or so for complex graphic designs that will be available). Really need to nail down a couple good schemes before Monday. That works out to roughly $362 USD.

Some photos from Jason Cole, thank you!

Quick Reply