Feb 14, 2019, 04:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Night Radian LED light controller or similar?

Does anyone know where I can purchase the night Radian LED light controller. I am not talking about the kit, just the LED light controller
by itself.
Horizon Hobby does not show it as a separate piece, but just in the kit form. Also, does anyone know of a similar LED light controller
that uses the 5V WS2812B 5050 RGB LED 3 pin form?

Please, NOT THE 4 pin RGB LED controllers you see on Ebay and stuff, but this newer style 3 pin 5V WS2812B 5050 RGB LED light controller.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2019, 10:23 AM
Good stuff on this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...LED-Controller

There are Arduino projects, integration with iNav / Betaflight / Cleanflight flight controllers, and even small driver boards like THIS one.
May 21, 2019, 10:39 AM
I just built a couple for my Night Radian. SO much better than the stupid LED controller that comes with it - and in my humble opinion, much better than that $25 add on that gives no extra options...except using another 2 channels of your tx to press the same old buttons from a distance.

This uses a regular old $3 Arduino Nano and a couple of wires. Nothing else required. I still use all the wiring and stuff the Radian came with, but then I run the data (yellow) lines out of the little servo connectors so instead of going into that LED junction box, the data wires all plug into pins 8-4 on the Arduino. Data wire from rudder channel goes to pin 1 on the Arduino and lets you do a ton of other stuff, literally anything you want - not just turn it off or on or cycle through the patterns.

The beauty of this is it's versatility. You can control everything from speed to brightness to pattern and color for all LEDs or each individual LED. For those who aren't big on Arduino programming, no biggie - there's a NeoPixel Code Generator website that does all the work for you. It's a GUI where you can specify any and all of these things...and then change it when you get tired of it and want to do something new. In addition I have a single channel PWM signal from the RX that lets you select all sorts of different options by just using your rudder channel or some other channel.

It's a good way to get into this sort of stuff anyway and I'd highly advise it. As such I don't mind helping anyone out that wants to do this, but I'm not going to be selling anything or trying to turn this into a business. I can provide links to everything you need for this, but it's less than $5 and it can be easily programmed and installed in one evening. Hit me up if interested and if someone wants to go through the trouble of writing a legit post on this, I can go ahead and throw a GitHub together.
Jun 08, 2019, 08:08 AM
Hi Buzz,
If you’ve done any helpful compilation that would boost me up the learning curve, please do share...!
Out of the box, my Night Radian cycled colours nicely for about 2 minutes, and then the LEDs in the fuse got confused. They are the wrong colour, or don’t cycle with the rest, or are static, etc... just messed up. They are still illuminated, but not under proper control. HH feels no responsibility for it, and helpfully (*cough*) sent me a link to their webpage to purchase my own replacement parts from them. I’d rather kick myself in the teeth than support a company that doesn’t support its customers.
Thanks for any tips you can offer,
-Trevor
Jul 05, 2019, 10:30 AM
I hustled picked up a night radian

The lights didnít work when plugged in. Turns out it is what I assume to be the BEC (what you plug the lipo into before the controller with the buttons)

Can someone tell me what the output voltage from the BEC/regulator is? The voltage going into the controller with the buttons.

Is it 5v or do the lights run off 12v like normal LED strips?
Jul 27, 2019, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbombkirk
I just built a couple for my Night Radian. SO much better than the stupid LED controller that comes with it
Do you have any videos of the lighting capabilities of your project?

Quick Reply