Jun 08, 2001, 08:11 AM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Thread OP

Ryan P-47 Builders

I'm sure that most of you have seen the documentary "A Fighters Pilots Story". This is a story about the experiences of war through a P-47 pilots eyes. First rate!!! If you have not seen it you can by the tapes on this web site, worth every penny. If this does not make you excited to build Jim's new P-47 nothing will. The web site is great also.

http://pages.prodigy.com/fighterpilot/
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2001, 08:22 AM
Serenity Now!
Another great book to read is Thunderbolt! by P-47 ace Robert Johnson (He flew with Zemke's Wolfpack). I'm not sure if it's still in print or not. My copy is older than me since my dad bought it originally and is well worn.

[This message has been edited by jbrundt (edited 06-08-2001).]
Jun 08, 2001, 11:50 AM
Has anyone started building the Ryan P-47 yet? My plans are ordered but not yet in my hands.
Jun 09, 2001, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
I am going to wait for the kit when Jim releases it. I just like working with laser cut parts. Can't wait to get one!
Jun 09, 2001, 05:47 PM
Got my P-47 plans today. Anyone wanna race to the finish? Time to get some wood

Greg
Jun 10, 2001, 03:02 PM
J Bergsmith,

Any idea when the kit will be released? I'd love to get myself one too. Unfortunately I don't have time to cut out a kit for myself.

T
Jun 13, 2001, 02:06 PM
I have been studying the P-47 plans (well done by the way), and working through my head how to get started. I decided to start with the wing first since I am pretty familiar with cutting these parts and sticking them all together.

I'm curious why the plans call for a single aileron servo that operates with a snake system. Why not use the slop-free method of torque rods? There seems to be ample room in the fuse for torque rods and an aileron servo as in the other kits.

Greg
Jun 13, 2001, 03:06 PM
Thread OP
Aero I have no idea when a kit might be released, I think Jim mentioned late Sept.
Jun 13, 2001, 06:49 PM
BillBowne
BillBowne
Thunderbolt! will probably be listed as being under Martin Caidin, as he was the actual author of Johnson's book. Like many of Caidin's WWII books, it gets periodically re-released. For example, I just saw a new release of his book on the B-17 in Barnes & Nobles just a few weeks ago.

Bill B.
Jun 13, 2001, 06:56 PM
So tired
I think Im going to send the plans away to somebody that cuts kits. it will be easire and look better than cutting it myself, and will be a lot cheaper than buying a kit when it comes. i've noticed that a lot of ryan kits are priced it the 70 - 80 dollar range. To get a kit cut is only about 40 for the first and 30 or so for each additional

[This message has been edited by JJEXP (edited 06-13-2001).]
Jun 14, 2001, 06:50 AM
JJEXP,

It might not be as easy as you might think. There are other factors involved in laser cutting a kit. For one you have to get the plans into the computer and in a format that is usuable on the laser cutter. There are a couple of ways of doing this. One is to scan the plans into an image format then run it through a program that will convert it from a "rastor" image to a "vector" image. A vector file is then able to be edited via AutoCAD or similar programs. Generally speaking this conversion software is very expensive. Granted you can find cheaper versions but the quality of the end conversion isn't as good. The other way to get plans into the cutter are to import the rastor image into AutoCAD (or similar) and trace the image creating a vector file. This method is time consuming and potentially expensive when you take into conisderation what one charges for drawing time on AutoCAD.
I can speak from experience in these matters as I do some autoCAD work and a flying buddy of mine has a laser cutter.

If you're still interested in doing this drop me an email and I'll talk to my buddy about it.

Tom
Jun 14, 2001, 10:45 AM
I think you would be surprised at how easy it is to cut your parts. A little more work up front, but you get the pride of building a plane from planks of wood you bought at the store

Give it a go, no sense in letting a little fear of cutting wood or extra time hold you back.

Greg
Jun 14, 2001, 01:02 PM
Flying electric since 1986
I think Im going to send the plans away to somebody that cuts kits. it will be easire and look better than cutting it myself, and will be a lot cheaper than buying a kit when it comes. i've noticed that a lot of ryan kits are priced it the 70 - 80 dollar range. To get a kit cut is only about 40 for the first and 30 or so for each additional

Hmm, let's add this up;

Plans: $15.20
Canopy: $8.00
Wood cutting: $40.00

Total: $63.20

Boy, your right! That's a LOT cheaper than buying the kit for $75.00.

[This message has been edited by Mark Wolf (edited 06-14-2001).]
Jun 14, 2001, 09:39 PM
So tired
hey, when your a 16 year old kid with little money as it is to spend on this hobby, you take the cheepest route possible. Also there are pro. companies that do everything for you for a good price
Jun 15, 2001, 10:14 AM
Well, I started cutting parts lastnight. I figured I need to start building this thing, or the darned kit is going to be out before I finish. Then I have to buy the kit

I have all the parts for the wing cut and ready to go (need some final sanding but its minor). I am going to build this and then cut parts for the fuse. Should be done in about three weeks

Greg

Quick Reply