Jun 20, 2019, 02:55 PM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
That's the spirit Jim (no pun intended). If you send me some details on the engine I can ask around for you.
When you get closer to finishing the model, we can set up mine or Jeffs Taranis as a buddy box for you if you like so you can enjoy the fruits of your labour from a safe height and with some nerve settling confidence.
Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2019, 04:48 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeleyEagle
That's the spirit Jim (no pun intended). If you send me some details on the engine I can ask around for you.
When you get closer to finishing the model, we can set up mine or Jeffs Taranis as a buddy box for you if you like so you can enjoy the fruits of your labour from a safe height and with some nerve settling confidence.
Andrew
Andrew,
The engine is a 40 cc 2 stroke Kioritz. 38 mm bore. It was fitted to a backpack agricultural blower or sprayer.
The Echo agents are currently looking for a replacement cylinder head in Japan.
As I have already written, Dean will fly the model when it is rebuilt. Either this year, or September next year. I've already spoken to him and he has agreed.
Besides, there is a growing list of pilots offering to fly the model for me, you and Jeff would have to join the queue. It would be bad manners to pass over the long term arrangement that was initiated back last September with Dean.
I expect that I will become tired of stating this conclusion.
My best pal gives me a talking too whenever we meet, sometimes for half an hour or more (Pep talk!). Complete with all the associated science and aviation experience and observation he can call upon from his history. I cannot fault his logic.
But I am resolved for reasons already explained well enough, I hope.
There is still a slim chance you will get your aerotow this coming festival after all....................
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 20, 2019 at 07:52 PM.
Jun 20, 2019, 04:51 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
If I can help in any way let me know.

Scott
Ohh, just send me a case of Scotch Whisky please Scott, alright?.......................
(Well, you did ask!).

But seriously, if you have a circle of small two stroke enthusiasts that you know, ask around if anyone has spares for this engine. Long shot I know, but there could be one in your flying buddies shed.
Jun 20, 2019, 04:54 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP

Thinking of alternatives...............

I just realised, I could look for a second hand replacement engine.
Please note Andrew.
You may know of a club member with a similarly sized engine going on offer?

Possible repairs to the head on this Kioritz depends upon the opinion of Cameron, the best aluminium welder that I know of in Coffs Harbour.
He is in the US for some weeks more yet, not sure when he gets back. I can talk to Ryan, his offsider, who is also very good.
However, Cameron has had a life times experience with two stroke engines in various racing applications and with modding them and welding alloys.
A great guy to know; he has collaborated with/for me on several jobs, modelling and otherwise.
Jun 21, 2019, 06:43 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Jim,
What I meant by offering a Taranis as a buddy box was purely for you to use , not me/us. Dean is your man with the magic fingers and if you want to have a go at flying your model then you have the opportunity with a buddy box that can be set up here locally before setting off.
I will ask around at the club for you next week when we can fly again regarding a replacement engine or parts.
Andrew
Jun 21, 2019, 05:34 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Jim,
What I meant by offering a Taranis as a buddy box was purely for you to use , not me/us. .........................
Andrew

Just a reminder for you Andrew; I have my new replacement Taranis X9D Plus. I might not have reported that I was flying the Spacewalker with it for its very short, and only, flight.
But thanks for the offer of another Taranis (or two Taranis's , or should that be: Tarani?). Wow! Think what we could do with three of them?
I have the model set up all sorted in my Taranis X9D Plus, all except the logical switch to automatically throttle down when the temp sensor senses a pre-set cylinder head temp. Nice if you can get it work, but I could not. Not at all necessary though; I did get so far as to find the telemetry display of the head temperature on the screen which was sufficient for safe operation of the engine.
Brutus was the first IC pilot to report this option that OpenTx makes possible to me, but sadly, he has closed his account. I have sent him an email message, but he has not responded.
I don't expect I will get it work (the logical switch I mean), as the FrSky gurus have stopped replying to my questions for help to sort it out. The FrSky forums have to be the least friendly of all the forums I have ever participated on except perhaps the arduino forums.
I did manage to confront them sufficiently so that one prominent expert had to assist me with some of the basics however. He first referred me to Google when I asked a question (about nomenclature and symbols I think). Answered with something like: "Google is your friend". When I went to google, I found one of his threads or posts. I then quoted and posted under his post with something like: "Hi xxxx, here I am, back in your face again! You could refer me back to google again, I might then find one of your posts and answer it like I am now, and we could create an endless positive feedback loop". Round and round and round again...................Do you reckon that would be fun?
He did not see the humour, sadly!...........................
But.......he did start to assist me and very well at that I must say. His assistance got me through the basic cognitive challenges I was experiencing with the OpenTx system, which is simply fantastic!
So, in the end, I am indebted to him.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jun 21, 2019 at 05:55 PM.
Jul 04, 2019, 08:09 PM
Scott
Well Jim, has the repair begun??

Scott
Jul 04, 2019, 08:45 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Yes Scott, the repair, or rather, rebuild is well underway.
I have take no pics yet, but will do so.
The plan is to have the model finished (again) for our upcoming festival in September.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-NSW-Australia
Jul 05, 2019, 04:11 PM
Play that funky music right
Jim, very sorry to hear of your crash. I can identify with that. It seems me and 2 meter pattern plans have the same affliction. Unlike you I've kind of given up. No pattern pilots locally to help out.

Good on you for rebuilding so soon. On my side I found some thick foam for my Zlin. See my thread. Now if I can find some time to continue. 12 to 14 hour work days have me wore out so just come home and recover for the next day.

Ken
Jul 14, 2019, 03:17 AM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Thanks Ken.
It seems that this "brain freeze up" is not uncommon for some of us aging flyers!..................part of growing old.

Here is a couple of pics I took a few days ago........and forgot to post..........until now.
Just to prove that the re-build is going ahead.
It has progressed a bit more since these pics were taken.
More later.
Jul 14, 2019, 07:24 PM
Play that funky music right
What crashed airplane????? Looking good Jim! You'll be back in the air in no time

Ken
Jul 15, 2019, 10:01 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
What crashed airplane????? .......................
Ken
It was all a mischievous rumour Ken!..........................

Edit: I just realised that I am (only) 4 weeks into the 12 weeks I had to rebuild this model in time for the annual Manilla Slope festival.
So, I am more than on track to achieve it in time.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Jul 15, 2019 at 10:56 PM.
Aug 01, 2019, 06:57 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP

Covering.

At covering stage.
I will be waiting for good weather (low humidity) for spraying acrylic lacquer.
Maybe in a week or so?
The cylinder head of the Kioritz is still waiting to be welded up in town.
If that does not go well, I will resort to fitting my 30 cc OPS (gas converted) engine for the September festival. Review power options later if necessary.
Aug 02, 2019, 05:53 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Looking good there Jim.
If needed, I can take the Zenoah 26cc out of my tug plane for you. Not sure if it is sufficient for your model but the offer is there. My Taylorcraft is 7.1kg and it pulls it along.
Andrew
Aug 02, 2019, 06:01 AM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Looking good there Jim.
If needed, I can take the Zenoah 26cc out of my tug plane for you. Not sure if it is sufficient for your model but the offer is there. My Taylorcraft is 7.1kg and it pulls it along.
Andrew
Thanks for the offer Andrew. However, the 30cc OPS MAXI that I have will power it ok.
That is the back up plan for September.

Quick Reply