This thread is privately moderated by Late99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2019, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Yippee!

Year 2018 with 3DHS 95" Extra 330SC

I'm a lot overdue with this...

I started to drool at 3DHS 95" Extra 330SC as soon as first info of it surfaced on Internet. And I basically ordered one as soon as they were available in Europe.

The first items I received were motor & prop. On this build I went with Dualsky GA6000.8 motor and got carbon fiber 24x10 prop (electric, lightened) and matching spinner from Meijzlik. I will use my existing Savox 1270 servos the plane. Couple of them have seen a bit of use, but basically there are as new.

The plane arrived quickly and without shipping damage, everything was really well packaged. Upon unpacking I immediately noticed that the quality of the finish on this plane is top notch.

The plane assembly went without trouble, let the pictures speak for themselves.
Last edited by Late99; Feb 13, 2019 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2019, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
Maiden & early flights went without trouble. No suprises with the handling, so smooth flying. What I noticed is that the big motor doesn't accelerate in similar way as smaller motors. This seems to be quite normal behavior related to bigger props & motors. Nevertheless, I changed the original Aerostar / ZTW Gecko 150A ESC for an original YGE 160A ESC.

On one late spring evening I was flying after a busy day at work and I forgot to attach the battery straps on the last flight of the day. This caused a spectacular battery ejection when I performed crankshaft / lomcevak. Fortunately I had altitude and the receiver is hooked to double lipos so I just glided the plane down safely. Seems that the plane is not very sensitive to CG after all.

The frustration was mostly related to no extra canopies being available on any of the European dealers at the time, so I performed quick tape fix (new canopy was purchased as soon as they were available some time later).
Last edited by Late99; Feb 15, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Feb 13, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
I also participated our local F3A Sport class competition with the Extra. I would have flown my old Exreme Flight 70" Extra, but happened to sell it just couple of days before the competition. Extra flew great in competition and I placed 1st in the Sport class.

The day was pretty windy and I had one somewhat bumpy landing and in that landing the tail gear plate came loose. This seems to be the weak spot of the plane as there's several similar cases reported on the 95" Extra thread.
Last edited by Late99; Feb 13, 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Feb 13, 2019, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Rest of the season went without incidents. In the autumn weather was a bit lousy and I flew most of the flights with the smaller 70" planes as I didn't want to risk the "precious" Extra.

Altogether I flew 55 flights with the Extra during the 2018 summer season. Hopefully I'm able to fly much more during 2019!
Last edited by Late99; Feb 13, 2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply