Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Bladeless Drone Video

A high school senior in the San Francisco Bay area has created a bladeless drone that is safe to operate around people and objects.

Splash

High School Senior Creates a Bladeless Drone

A high school senior in the San Francisco Bay area has created a bladeless drone that is safe to operate around people and objects. He noted how dangerous the props are on traditional drones and that prop guards didn't do a great job at providing protection.

He turned to ducted fans as the blades of the fan are in a ducted housing, but you could still manage to reach in and touch them. He then came up with an idea to imbed the fans inside tubes thus preventing contact with the high speed blades. It looks like it worked out great after some tuning and you can see the flight video and origin story below.

Feb 13, 2019, 12:17 PM
Wandering IT geek
And thus the worlds most inefficient drone propulsion system was implemented...

Nice Proof of Concept though.
Feb 13, 2019, 02:38 PM
Yup, and the flight duration (without any kind of payload) is ...

It's also probably several times the mass of a comparable quad with standard props. So it'd do far more damage to people/property if it ever dropped out of the sky.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Feb 13, 2019, 05:00 PM
Actually, it letīs you deploy parachutes easier than with prop drones. I still stick to my old RC buddies anyway
Feb 13, 2019, 08:56 PM
not Bladeless lol
Feb 13, 2019, 09:52 PM
AMA L68621; WA2LLX

Kudos!

Yeah probably not terribly efficient but thatís not the point. This is a high school kid who had an idea, designed and built the airframe, programmed the flight computers and successfully flew his design! Heís going to make one heck of an engineer if he chooses that path. He thinks outside the box. Lots of kids his age spend their time playing video games and tweeting (or worse). Excellent job man, well done!

John
Feb 14, 2019, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadt770
Yeah probably not terribly efficient but thatís not the point. This is a high school kid who had an idea, designed and built the airframe, programmed the flight computers and successfully flew his design! Heís going to make one heck of an engineer if he chooses that path. He thinks outside the box. Lots of kids his age spend their time playing video games and tweeting (or worse). Excellent job man, well done!

John
My thoughts exactly, couldn't say it better. Great job young man, keep thinking out of the box.
Feb 14, 2019, 04:15 AM
luschengerman
Good job! first i think on a harrier when i see this!
But i think everything can come down and hurt someone! Thats nature! A rock, a Tree, a big bird like Bibo, a plane, a brick, a Handy.......................
Feb 14, 2019, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadt770
Yeah probably not terribly efficient but thatís not the point. This is a high school kid who had an idea, designed and built the airframe, programmed the flight computers and successfully flew his design!
The carbon design and fabrication was very impressive but let's not get too carried away ... the flight controller is just a standard DJI N3 - no programming required there. With that, the Horus radio, high end EDF units & big batteries somebody (presumably not the kid) threw some pretty serious money at this.

And for those who didn't watch the full video, this thing pulls 480A at 22V (10 kilowatts). That would flatten a 6S(?) 10,000 mAh pack in one minute. So unless someone invents a featherweight nuclear reactor this really is no more than a gimmick. You could run standard props in cages (as on a paramotor or airboat) to get comparable (or better) levels of safety, for a fraction of the time/effort/cost/weight/power consumption.
Feb 14, 2019, 12:35 PM
I have to agree completely with posts #6 and 7. This kid has shown the wherewithall to get into a top engineering school and on to a great aerospace career. Don't knock him because there are lighter, faster, and longer flight-time air frames out there. The point is that he executed a creative solution to a problem he saw with the current products. That in itself is worth buckets of accolades.
Feb 14, 2019, 01:09 PM
MuscleCBT

There ARE more than two kinds of people...

...but they often fall into two categories....people who DO and people who CRITICIZE. We all know both kinds--which one do you want more of?
Feb 14, 2019, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCBT
...but they often fall into two categories....people who DO and people who CRITICIZE. We all know both kinds--which one do you want more of?
You are absolutely correct. Awesome effort Stefano. Don't let the haters bother you. You've probably seen this before, but I've always found the following excerpt written by Theodore Roosevelt to be inspiring and quite accurate:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat".
Feb 14, 2019, 01:24 PM
FPV IT
He did a nice job engineering and fabricating the frame. But I have to agree to inefficient to fly any long duration on battery power. Maybe tethered but if it is pulling 480A as stated above that'd be one heck of a tether/power cable.

Back in 2011 another guy was giving it a go. Not sure if he ever made anything of it.
https://diydrones.com/photo/img1919-1
Feb 14, 2019, 01:44 PM
Nev
A complex build. Irrespective of parts used or its inefficiency and cost. For those sceptics, slow down. When last did you design and execute on something that did not exist ! The hobby part of this hobby is forgotten way too often. I think this is a commendable achievement, irrespective of its inefficiencies or viability. Well done, keep thinking,keep inventing !
Feb 14, 2019, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMZILLA
Back in 2011 another guy was giving it a go. Not sure if he ever made anything of it.
https://diydrones.com/photo/img1919-1
Yes there have been various ducted fan 'multirotors' over the years - you can find video of them on YouTube. All seemed to fly fine ... the issue is just the power consumption. Well, they are also pretty noisy.

Quick Reply