Feb 12, 2019, 10:30 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Build Log

RaySER F3-RES from Canada

On of my club mates, Ray Munro, has designed a new F3-RES ship, intended for members of our club to build.

I've been given the first full cut of the to build. This is a first-pass cut, so some aspects are rough on it.

In terms of design, the configuration is similar to the Allegro Lite and X-RES, and it's a fully wood build, with a balsa box fuselage, flying stab forward of the fin and the spar system is all wood. The wing is an AG3x series with a D-Box.

The box I received:

The laser cut Fuselage bits (plus the neat ribbed spoilers Ray has done)

Cutting out the pre-cut forward stringers for the fuselage.

All the forward fuselage side bits together

Next I'll be gluing the stringers to the forward sides, so I can use them to align the rear sides.
Last edited by mawz; Feb 13, 2019 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2019, 08:24 AM
Cool! Any chance we can get a full shot of the plans?

-David
Feb 13, 2019, 09:27 AM
RC Sailplane Pilot
I think he should make the name be SER Ray instead and give it a kind of Game of Thrones vibe.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 13, 2019, 02:41 PM
Ribbed spoilers?
Feb 13, 2019, 02:56 PM
Adam:
Awesome! I have been watching everyday (as in 2 days!) since you received the kit for your build forum! So exciting! The designing and production of this kit has become much more involved and complicated that Ray ever imagined! I'll be following your post with great interest as will a lot of other members of our club! We look forward to your comments and recommendations as you proceed!

Cheers!
Lyle
Hamilton, Ontario.
Feb 13, 2019, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The wing is an RG3x series with a D-Box
Is that supposed to be AG-3X series? I don't think Rolf Girsberger ever did anything for a built up construction floater.

Mark
Feb 13, 2019, 03:25 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattock
Is that supposed to be AG-3X series? I don't think Rolf Girsberger ever did anything for a built up construction floater.

Mark
Yep, AG series (I had Ray's name on the brain last night).

I've corrected it.
Feb 13, 2019, 05:55 PM
Semper ubi sub ubi
Feb 13, 2019, 09:59 PM
Play loud, Fly high
I guess this project might be why I’ve missed seeing one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met at the Nats recently. We need his smile and cheerful personality back in Muncie. Good luck on the project.
Feb 16, 2019, 09:56 AM
Sounds neat. I'd sure love to see some pics.

-Dave
Feb 19, 2019, 11:42 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave
Sounds neat. I'd sure love to see some pics.

-Dave
There will be more pictures soon. Haven't been able to get to the building board in a week due to family commitments.
Feb 19, 2019, 11:46 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
Cool! Any chance we can get a full shot of the plans?

-David
I'll have to ask Ray, but be aware the plans are very basic right now, really only the wing sections and a pair of side views for the fuselage.
Feb 19, 2019, 11:47 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
Ribbed spoilers?
Yes, the spoiler construction is a sheet with ribs on the back. It'll be more obvious when I get to that part of the construction.
Feb 26, 2019, 09:12 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Finally got some time at the bench last night & today. Working on the fuselage for now.
Yesterday I spent cutting out the formers, which are Balsa ply (2 pieces of balsa laminated with opposite grain). Then started on the stringers.

First stringer on:

Then the rest after letting the first one dry overnight

Next up will be getting the rear fuselage sections attached and the formers laminated and ready to install. At that point I'll move to the wing as I need the wing to ensure the formers are located correctly.

Ray has designed an alternate, lighter set of tips and sent me the ribs for them. I'll be building both sets.
Feb 27, 2019, 07:22 AM
Adam:
I'm happy you were able to carve out some time to work on the wee beast! : ) I was getting concerned.....

Cheers!
Lyle

Quick Reply