This thread is privately moderated by oldsneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 12, 2019, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Switch setup on a AS3000 w/iX12

Switch setup on a AS3000 w/iX12

I setup my first AS3000 by following Miguel's video and getting some help from him & Andy on the AS3000 thread here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...00-AS3X-module

A few months went by and I had to program another AS3000. My memory is not very good and I had to watch Miguel's video again. So I decided to write up the main points for me from his video so I can more quickly repeat the process. I have another AR12310T/AS3000 waiting for me to finish building the plane.

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend going to receivers with Forward Programming. It's the way Spektrum receivers should have always been.

There is much more in Miguel's video than I cover here. These are simplified instructions and are just what I am using. Some of the other items covered in the video are using multiple gains for high and low speed flight and using 5 Flight Modes for rate gain and heading hold gain.

Miguel's video on switches is here:
Spektrum AS3000 Switch Setup Tutorial (16 min 14 sec)

The Spektrum Power Safe/AS3000 combo uses a different method to control the gyro as compared to the AR636, AR7350 & AR9350 receivers. The Forward Programming lets you do all the programming of the gyro from your DX8, DX9, iX12 and others with no PC, phone or tablet needed. However, you still need a PC & cable to register and update the receiver firmware using the Spektrum Programmer app. And you should always update a new receiver if it isn't up to the latest software.

To check for the latest software, go to:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/

The USB cable needed to register & update your receiver with a PC:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/as3x-pr...rface-spma3065

The free Programmer App:
https://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/apps...rogrammer.html

To get started, connect your receiver, AS3000 module, satellite antennas and battery. Bind the receiver to your transmitter.
Complete the First Time Setup (FTS) of the gyro as shown in these next screen copies. (Note: The Forward Program menu option needs to be receiving telemetry data from a receiver to appear. )

As the warning screens say, your plane should be fully trimmed before running FTS. Preferably mechanically trimmed with no transmitter trim adjustments made.

First Time Setup

Eight orientation Positions are available. Select the orientation that correctly matches the orientation of the AS3000 in the model. Click on the down arrow to change it.

Set the Gain Channel Select to the channel you are using for the gyro gain. Hit Apply.

Choosing Sport/Scale initializes the set up of Roll/Pitch/Yaw with Axis ratios of 40%/50%/60%. Axis Ratios are a subset of using the full gyro gain range. By setting an Axis Ratio to 50%, you have limited the maximum gain to half of what it would be at full range(100%). If you had the Axis Ratio at 50% and then set the gyro gain to 75%, you would only be using 37.5% or 3/8ths of the total gain the gyro is capable of. So you need to be aware that the gains are not absolute. They are restricted by the Axis Ratio setting. A nice benefit of this method is it allows you to tweak individual axis by modifying the Range values.

Spektrum says that most people will find that using the default axis ratios(Roll 40%, Pitch 50%, Yaw 60% for the Sport profile) will give satisfactory results. This allows you to use a single gain value and channel to control all three axis. Spektrum recommends flying initially with this set up. They also recommend determining your gyro gain values using the R Knob method.

To determine the gyro gain using the R Knob

Before programming the gyro, if you don't know which channel you are using to control it, check it as shown:
From the Model Settings/Forward Programming/Gain Channel Select screen, note which channel you used for gyro gain. Aux3 in this example.

From the Model Setup/Channel Assign/Channel Input Configuration screen, choose the R Knob for your gain channel(Aux3 here). With heading hold Off in the Forward Programming, turning the knob from -100 to 0 the gyro is off. From 0 to +100, the gain is activated and increases. If you have heading hold turned On in Forward Programing, -100 to 0 controls the amount of heading hold.

You are ready to fly your plane. Set the gain knob to zero. Get in the air and carefully increase the gain with the knob to a satisfactory level. Most people turn it up until one axis starts to oscillate and then back off. Land the plane and note the gain value from the Monitor screen and write it down. Here itís 27 on Aux3.

To control the gyro gain of all three axis with a Switch

Decide which switch you want to use to turn the gyro on and off. Here we use Switch B (weíre not using flight modes). Go to Model Setup/Channel Input Configuration and set your gain channel(Aux3 here) to the switch you are using:

Go to Model Setup/Digital Switch Setup.

Select Switch B. Youíll see your chosen gain channel(Aux 3 here). Set position 0 to 0 so you can fly with no gyro gain. Set position 1 to the number determined with the knob while flying. Here itís 27. Iím only using a single gain setting so I set position 2 also to 27. Miguel in his video uses two gains, one for low speed flight and one for high speed flight. You typically need more gain at slower speeds.

Return to the Monitor screen. Toggle Switch B and you should see the value for your gain channel(Aux 3 here) change from 0 to 27. Youíre now ready to fly with the ability to turn your gyro off and on with a value to your liking.

Adjusting the Single Switch gain in flight

From the Model Adjust/Mixing screen, create a mix as shown. This will send the output of the Left Trim(LT) switch to your gain channel(Aux3). The mix is activated when Switch B is in either position 1 or 2.

Controlling the gyro gain of all three axis using Flight Modes

From the Model Setup/Channel Assign/Channel Input Configuration screen, choose Flight Mode for your gain channel.

From Model Setup/Flight Mode Setup screen, select which switch you will use to control the Flight Modes. If you are already using Flight Modes, skip this step.

From the Model Setup/Digital Switch Setup, set Switch to Flight Mode. Set Channel Assign to your chosen gain channel. Set FM1 to zero so it has no gyro effects. Set FM2 & FM3 to your chosen settings determined while flying with just the knob. Positive numbers are gyro gain, negative numbers are Heading Hold gain. When using Heading Hold, some normal gyro gain is still applied and determined by the receiver. Heading hold must be activated in the Forward Programming section for the negative numbers to work.

Adjusting the Flight Mode gains in flight

From the Model Setup/Trim Setup screen, set the switch to be used(Left Trim here) to F Mode. The Normal setting makes trim adjustments take effect on only the selected Flight Modes. For example, adjusting the Trim on FM2 has no effect on FM3.

Create a Mix that feeds the output of your Trim switch to your gain channel. Set both rates to 100%. Select Flight Mode for the switch and set block one to be Off and block 2 & 3 to be On as shown.

Again, youíre ready to fly the plane. Take off in Flight Mode 1 that has no gyro gain. Get up to a safe height before trying Flight Modes 2 & 3. In flight, adjust the LT switch to adjust the gyro gain as needed.

Since you're using an iX12, take advantage of the Audio Events and add the voices to what you programmed.Gyro On, Gyro Off, Flight Mode 2 Gyro On, etc..

If anyone spots any errors or something is not clear, let me know and I will fix it. That's all for now. I'll add more eventually.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2019, 09:45 AM
Great overview! Or rather conversion from video to text + images. I think pretty much everything important from the video is in thiere.
Feb 14, 2019, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Miguel. Great video. And thanks for replying. I'd always be wondering what you thought if you hadn't.
Apr 01, 2019, 04:40 AM
Roll with the changes...
Great info to both of you guys. Thanks. A couple of easy questions:

Why is it so important that the model is "trimmed before setup"? I understand getting the switch settings / reversing / channels all set first, but trimming via transmitter switches happens over the duration of the jet. So if I add a click of right aileron (for example) after the AS3000 has already been setup, do I have to change the config again or is that just ok?

What is your suggested setting in Airframe Type for a turbine/Jet where the surface deflection is so low?

Thanks!
Apr 02, 2019, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibarSRQ
Great info to both of you guys. Thanks. A couple of easy questions:

Why is it so important that the model is "trimmed before setup"? I understand getting the switch settings / reversing / channels all set first, but trimming via transmitter switches happens over the duration of the jet. So if I add a click of right aileron (for example) after the AS3000 has already been setup, do I have to change the config again or is that just ok?

What is your suggested setting in Airframe Type for a turbine/Jet where the surface deflection is so low?

Thanks!
Hi RibarSRQ. You should post your question on the thread below. Miguel is active there. He is the expert. Just copy and paste it. Plus it's a good question and more people will learn from the answer there.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...00-AS3X-module
Aug 22, 2019, 10:28 PM
Guys I just got Ix12 and ar636 as3x. Questions.
1) Can I programing as3x on airware only or do i have to be on as3x app?
2) On as3x app beginning of wizard section SYNC
(( as3x app to rx /or/ rx to as3x app )) OK, since I got Ix12 what does it meant? As3x app to airware are from rx right?
Aug 23, 2019, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywing
Guys I just got Ix12 and ar636 as3x. Questions.
1) Can I programing as3x on airware only or do i have to be on as3x app?
2) On as3x app beginning of wizard section SYNC
(( as3x app to rx /or/ rx to as3x app )) OK, since I got Ix12 what does it meant? As3x app to airware are from rx right?
Hey Happy

This is my blog. You need to post those questions to the threads about those items.

This is the iX12 thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...m-iX12/page445

This is the AR636 thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ETRY-!/page455

I can answer your 1st question. You must use a AS3X app with the AR636. There are AS3X apps for the PC, iPhone, Android phone and the iX12. Each behave a little differently. The PC version is the most reliable. You also need either a programming cable or Bluetooth Adapter. You can buy them at Horizon Hobby.

Quick Reply