Mar 03, 2019, 05:26 PM
Way to much free time!
Second flight of my balsa AD/HD wing was stopped to quickly when it flew into a basketball hoop! The only hoop in the place not retracted toward the ceiling, naturally! My bad. Attention was divided while I used my throttle hand to trim for pitch and roll. Just cosmetic damage to my wing of a bent foam nose.

AD/HD 14.5 inch Delta Wing crash into basketball hoop (1 min 0 sec)

This is the 4th, last, and longest flight of the day! Had an unexpected landing about 45 seconds into the recording when the ESC shut off the motor. Fortunately it reset itself and behaved for the rest of the 7 minute timer. Flying is more of the same with less TX trimming and smoother stick control.

AD/HD 14.5 inch Delta Wing longest flight (7 min 34 sec)
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Mar 04, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2019, 05:36 PM
A great success indeed! It flies just like it should
Watched the video a few times already, a fresh AD/HD is always a delight to fly!
Just wait till you start to loop and roll it around.

About the default reflex "-- Preset elevons on half of the thickness of the foam (well, about 1mm) up-- " is what reads on my build post, it's just a suggestion, the exact amounts can vary on different builds and CG.

I agree with you that some differential might be useful in some cases but it might make flying inverted a bit more difficult
I don't even use any EXPO on my AD/HDs either xD However having rounded the leading edges and tapered trailing edges thin and sharp seem to give it inbuilt expo, or that's what Harri told me after trying mine out.

Haha, just noticed that you posted another video, the foam fuselage is there for reason I also noticed the common feature you mentioned on the first video, they just don't want to turn when there's too little airspeed, close to stall. Usually indicated by dutch rolling a bit.
Last edited by Keppis; Mar 03, 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Mar 04, 2019, 09:24 AM
Way to much free time!
The AD/HD is really a sweet flier! I just watched my longest flight video and it looked great! Plus it checked off two wish-list bucket-list RC items of mine:
1) Have an indoor-friendly flying wing. Which it does in spades!
2) Use a 8.5mm coreless motor in direct drive. A bonus is cruising at 35-40% throttle!

Fantastic that the AD/HD does its thing so well!

Since I'm flying in a tight venue, I'll experiment with a bit of aileron differential. Could help: could hurt.

P.S. During my longest flight, one of the patrons not flying RC came over and afterwards asked about the delta wing. He wanted to understand how it was controlled because he didn't see the elevons. A nice way to introduce more people to our hobby. Thank you.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Mar 04, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
Mar 04, 2019, 01:04 PM
You really seemed to enjoy flying it, thanks for sharing the moments with us!
Couldn't help your comrade commenting something about the speeds or something there
Also I find that place you were flying in quite spacious!
It's amazing with how little input this plane needs to be controlled, seems like some kind of magic to outsiders sometimes

I have to agree, AD/HD is quite versatile plane, I have plenty of planes for both indoor and outdoor use but now it's almost all AD/HDing ...or FullHDing when flying FPV with the head tracking

I've started to work on the material we got from our last indoor session, the chronological timeline has stretched over 50 minutes here and it'd be almost triple the lenght if all the clips were put separatedly! Lucky the material overlaps, just need to time and synchronize the clips with each other. Not going to make the video that long ^^;
I really should fly more, but editing can be fun too.

Maybe I should whip out an AD/HD infomercial video
Mar 09, 2019, 02:59 PM
flyin' fool
My FB's attempt from last night. Tried it on rudder/elevator with limited success.
Mar 09, 2019, 05:08 PM
Glad to see people giving these a try

I've tried to fly mine with just rudder and elevator too, didn't disable the delta mixer, just didn't input any aileron. It was flyable, but a bit wonky.
My 50 is starting to show some serious wear and tear but it still flies pretty decent, weights 55 grams. Decided to try how slow I could go with it by just pulling from the stick and controlling it by throttling and giving yaw and stick to keep it steady. It indeed went slow. Flew some high angle of attack flying on LOS too, which was actually easier than FPV.
AD/HD 50 Slow Flight DVR (2 min 9 sec)

Also our veteran hobbyist was on a roll, big time!
AD/HD 125 Rolling (3 min 15 sec)

I'm also still working on the last weekend's video, hope to get it done soon. Lucky this time I didn't get anything special material for most of our group didn' t show up. Also no indoor sessions for a few weeks due to matriculation examinations, plenty time to make some new AD/HDs
Mar 09, 2019, 07:04 PM
flyin' fool
My friend got some input on how to set up elevons with his crappy TX, so it will go back to 'as designed'. Flying without dihedral using just rudder control for yaw usually doesn't work well.

My AD/HD is waiting for the mail from BangGood.
Mar 09, 2019, 09:57 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Mine flies too!

Further to posts #42, 43, we had a lovely calm morning at the field yesterday, so got to maiden my AD~HD in ideal conditions. It flew beautifully straight from the launch, though needed a little less reflex than I had guessed. Throws are fairly fierce, so roll rate is exceptional and there is plenty of power for unlimited vertical. Stability is excellent, power on and off - heaps of fun all round.
Thanks again for a lovely, simple design!
Cheers,
PeteM
Oh, and Goldguy - if you put the fin and rudder on the bottom rudder/elevator control works nicely as long as you don't try inverted.
Mar 10, 2019, 01:48 AM
flyin' fool
That picture I posted is a friends, not mine.
Mar 10, 2019, 03:18 AM
Hi guys I’m falling in love with this “simple” design model and I’d like to build a couple of them to theater the FPV combat system that I’m working on...
I’m writing to ask for some suggestions because I don’t have any experience with mini/micro size models!
The system that I’m working on should weight about 10g, which is the best size for flying both indoor and (sometimes) outdoor?
I was thinking 60cm...
Which is the best solution for the motor, prop and ESC considering that I should use 2s battery?
I checked very quickly on HK but I could find only one motor ap03-7000kv but it seem good only for 1S and it looked to me really expensive! About 17$?!
Mar 10, 2019, 06:24 AM
Thread OP
Petem, Congrats for the maiden, I'm glad to hear people enjoying the AD/HD

ioteo, in my 60cm AD/HD I have a HK1610-3400kv with EP-4530 prop, Plush 6A esc, 2s 250mAh FullRiver. The rx is a stripped 3ch Flysky FS-A3, servos are Turnigy T531-BBD. Plenty of power, weight 77g.
Mar 10, 2019, 07:59 AM
Nice to hear your built was a success too Petem! Hope you enjoy flying it as much as we do

Ioteo, AP03 7000kv works on 2S too, but you can burn the motor if you fly full throttle for longer times, this happened to one of our AD/HD 50 with said motor, propeller was GWS 3020.
For 60 sized you might want to use a different motor for more thrust, 6-10A ESC, lighter is of course better.
I personally prefer the 50 sized over my 60 one.
The 60 is not as agile as 40 and 50 sized ones, but can carry more weight easier, so it should fit your needs better.
Generally they all can fly really slow if needed.
Go ahead and give it a try, I'm eager to see the results

Hope you get your parts soon Goldguy! I'm also waiting for parts, looks like I need a 40 sized in my fleet too
Mar 10, 2019, 06:20 PM
I tried to search for that size of motor but wasn't so lucky... Some motors are discontinued, other available only in china, do you guys know where can I find something in europe?
I could only find some drone motors, but they seem to be even too much...
For example this one:

https://www.banggood.com/EMAX-1306-R...r_warehouse=CN
Mar 10, 2019, 08:32 PM
flyin' fool
Check this inexpensive motor out ............… https://hobbyking.com/en_us/brushles...000kv-ccw.html

It should spin a 4/5" prop on small 2S lipos and work great on a light 600mm. I ordered two as I love small models and have had good success with drome motors. I make a back plate mount using thin Lexan and socket head counter sink screws.

Here's an example of my 600mm wing power by a Sunnysky 1406/3300kv on 2S 300s with a flying weight of 112 grams. Having a bit of fun in 30 KPH winds ……………..

The Park Lark with Goldguy (1 min 32 sec)
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 10, 2019 at 08:59 PM.
Mar 11, 2019, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Those motors are probably fine choices for ~60cm AD/HD. Just test and report the results.

Quick Reply