May 28, 2019, 10:39 AM
DiAleksi, glad to hear you enjoyed your AD/HD

Putting some new ones together in the meanwhile I can and manage. Thought to make the wiring a bit more simple on the next 50 sized, made a groove for the wires, easier to replace components if needed. The images also illustrate how to roughly test the CG, put everything on the wing to their supposed places and try balancing it from the suggested CG, now you know if you're close. Of course side panels and taping add in some weight, but you can easily move the battery and camera (if you make an FPV variant) to get it correct.

I've still have to think if the power leads come out from the bottom or from the side, the battery bay needs to be cut out too and make the side panels covering the receiver and battery bay.

How's everyone else doing? Any reports, thoughts?
Last edited by Keppis; May 28, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2019, 10:50 AM
It's been a while since anyone's posted here.
Let me break the silence then
Got my new Taranis working so I could test the 40 sized with the brick receiver again, range seems decent now (some 50m+ meters) but the other servo has become slow. So I managed to break a lens of the camera that was on board, even I flew traditionally, on LOS, while hitting a rock. Lucky I have a few of those small cameras also broken ones so I can switch the lens.

I've been busy with work so not much updates on new AD/HDs. Gotta build a few before the summer trip, an updated 40 and a 50 one.
Also gotta build a few new ones when the Ioteo's FPV Laser-tag equipment (still in beta) comes, waiting eagerly for that too We're going to have 3 planes to test the thing out.

Has anyone flown their AD/HDs recently? Thoughts, ideas? Anyone tried thermaling with one?
Jun 27, 2019, 01:32 PM
Canít wait the tests results and video of adhd with the FPV Combat installed...
I could test it only during ground to air combat, I think you will like it a lot considering your experience with that model!
Jul 09, 2019, 01:25 AM
Yesterday I took my AD/HD 40 to a slope, at Monte Cornetto. Maidened it in Folgaria Italy, weights 37 grams and is a tad tail heavy, makes great flat spins xD After getting through the turbulence it flew really great, Propably should have removed the prop, it kept wind milling and made loops quite impossible without power. Bit what an ecperience, both traditiomally (LOS) and FPV.

I also have a new 50 sized coming along which I also want to try in the slope. Mainly needs the control horns and thea pushrids to be finished for the elevons. And some tape for colour
Last edited by Keppis; Jul 09, 2019 at 04:18 AM.
Jul 29, 2019, 11:13 AM

Motors

Got back from the trip to Italy and back to work, I've been quite busy.
Flew the AD/HD 50 in slope at Monte Cornetto too, great fun .
Should start to make a video out of the trip soon. Too much to do in general.

Now when I have some days off I can finally concentrate on some AD/HD repairs and possible on new builds. Gave my AD/HD 50's motor and ESC to Andrea (in Italy) after he burned his motor so he'd have a working AD/HD there
So I thought now it'd be a good time to test some other motor options. Having a Racestar 8000kv and 10000kv lying around for some time and threw it on there. Since these motors are designed to be mounted through an arm or a plate I had to improvise an adapter for the motor; a servo arm/wheel was quite a perfect solution for it since the holes matched, just needed to drill the holes a bit bigger and make holes to screw it onto the existing firewall.

Gemfan 3025 which might have been a bit too big, test ran the motor a bit to see if it gets hot or not. Didn't get that hot so Idecided to screw it on. Power on and bah, a broken coil or connector. So got to switch the motor again.
Edit: Apparently it was just a bad soldering that got loose.

So, DYS BE1104 1104 6500kv on the back and waiting for a calmer evening to test it out.

Also Ioteo's FPV Combat system should be ready to ship soon so better make a few AD/HDs to fit them on them

How have everyone else been?
Last edited by Keppis; Jul 29, 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Aug 15, 2019, 11:13 AM
Breaking the silence again here.
Got to test the DYS 6500kv motor with Gemfan 3025 propeller which provided a huge amount of thrust but brought the CG too aft. Goog motor but I prefer not putting any dead weigth to front, other than a bigger battery. Sadly 2S 300mAh Nanotech was not enough so I thought to screw the Racestar 8000kv on the back, now I got to find those 2520-propellers, reccon 3020 will melt the coils
Also getting to try the clover leaf antenna on the FPV-camera.

Ioteo's FPV Combat systems beta pieces arrived and delivered one to Mikko already so I should make a few new 60 sized ones for combat.

Also got EMAX 1103-5000kv motors for testing, these seem like beasts if the specs are even half true, on 2S T3035 4.8A 153g of thrust and 3S with T3035 6.7A 210g of thrust, crazy!
Aug 28, 2019, 11:14 AM
Okay, finally got around testing Racestar 8000kv which got a bit hot with GWS 3020 propeller, screwed on AMAXinno 1103 5000KV 1-3S motor with GWS 3020 and Gemfan 3025 PC propeller. Both seemed really good choices but after the GWS detached in the air after I drilled the hole just a tad too big so it didn't sit snugly on the shaft. But yes, now it has plenty of power and ran mildly warm even running long on full throttle.
The motor is a pain in the butt to mount since it has just 3 mounting screws but got around it again with a servo wheel mod. Maybe a 3D printed mount could be a nice solution?
Definitely going to try this with a better ESC soon Going to try different propellers later.

About the FPV-side, refocused the camera and had a go.
Got to test an antenna mod for FPV, a "side feed clover-leaf" antenna with longer cable which proved working quite well! No more bent antennas on landing/crashing upside down
Also need to test Realacc UXII Stubby RHCP antenna at some point.

New videos coming soon.

Link for the motor and propeller.
https://www.banggood.com/AMAXinno-11...p-1425976.html
https://www.banggood.com/2-Pairs-Gem...p-1059763.html
Sep 12, 2019, 07:34 AM
So I've had my AD/HD 40 for few weeks now, and it has finally got to the point where it stays in the air.
Build with the help of Keppis (he told me what to do, and I did).
He is actually the one who got me into this hobby anyway.
I am personally more into quads, but wings are also super fun!

This is my first wing, and I don't really have much experience with wings or planes (other than once tried Keppis' Bixler and couple times his AD/HD).

Specs of my AD/HD:

- Wing span 40cm
- Weight 38 grams.
- Fuselage from EPP (2x 6mm), wing and fin from 3mm depron with a 1x3mm carbon strip
- FrSky VD5M receiver
- HK-5320 Ultra-Micro Digital Servos
- 2A brushed ESC
- 8x16mm coreless motor
- Caddix Beetle AIO camera
- Flies with 1S 380mah lipos

Couple videos below;

Flying wing [AD/HD] (5 min 6 sec)

Raw DVR without sound:
adhdrma (2 min 24 sec)

Also also pictures;
Last edited by Zeroine; Sep 13, 2019 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Changed first video url from tinyurl to normal url because video not appearing on post.
Sep 13, 2019, 06:15 AM
Thread OP
I don't see potential spam nor other problems with zeroine's post. Please un-flag.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:55 AM
It's nice to hear you've got your AD/HD flying Zeroine, too bad we ran out of time on the first flights, could've pre-trimmed it for you better. But this is exactly how you learn
Now you need to come to fly with us on our indoor session during winter (or course we'll fly outside too).

Here it was a windy and rainy weekend so not much flying done, took a quick spin with AD/HD 40 at summer cottage but it still was quite windy in the evening, I flew bit higher than usual, but it was quite turbulent and it was already getting dark, what a rough ride. Lucky didn't dip the plane in the lake
Sep 21, 2019, 02:16 PM
Indoor season is starting in a few weeks but got around to go for some slope soaring in the mean while. It was a really light breeze, couldn't stay in the air without power unlike the gliders I was following. But it was super fun. A slight touch touch to rudder and spin away unharmed

I need to test teh HQ 3x3 props with AMAXinno 1103 5500kv motor too, to see if it makes any difference.

Anyways have a video
AD/HD Slope Following (11 min 32 sec)

Has anyone else made any tests or flights with their AD/HDs?
I ordered some super light stuff from Banggood, micro actuators and receiver by TY Model, a Indoor Airplane Power System Micro Nano, so I will be trying a super light one for some indoor fun
Oct 08, 2019, 07:18 AM
Little update on my AD/HD 40

It seems like it is finally acting like it supposed to, and also my skills has improved too.
It's fun af to fly! Next I'll build a 50

Made couple changes to it too (to what I originally had), changed a better FPV cam (well quality wise, not really. Or might just have messed up settings, but better signal because of cloverleaf antenna) and switched from normal lipo's to HVLipo's. Still 1S of course.

Here's a video from yesterday. It was a little windy at times but it flew nice most of the time.
AD/HD 40 cruising/training | #4 (5 min 27 sec)
Oct 09, 2019, 04:13 AM
I have to say you've improved quite a lot since the first videos with your AD/HD Zeroine! Looks like the 1S HVLiPos quite did the trick
I feel you for the camera, hard to see if it's too dark even if you amp up the brightness.

Let's see for how long does your fist AD/HD survive before you have to rebuild it

We have started our indoor sessions again, not too many attended but it's a start. Also damn you Harri for downing my GWS Pico Stick S with AD/HD ( at 8:10 on the video)

Opening of Indoor Season of 2019 (9 min 51 sec)

Hot dam that AMAXXinno 1103 5000kv with Gemfan 3025 is a beast! Wonder what HQ 3030 prop does, or if the amps get too high on 6A ESC
We also discussed about the instability with high angle of attack with sudden bursts of power, it starts to drift the tail even I input full right rudder, it might needed to put a small fin under the fuselage too.

And about the old GWS Pico Stick I got inspired to make an AD/HD variant, Das AD/HD. Got the idea for round fuselage from Virtakuono, since he told to make it like in Albatros D.III even I thought that I'd make it more like in an Ugly Stick It's going to be classic red with Maltese cross but I don't know yetif I should paint it or tape it?
Oct 14, 2019, 03:41 AM

3D Printed AD-HD?

I have read this through a few times and have put a 40 sized one together but managed to smoke my brick before even getting it in the air!
As a keen 3D printer user and having seen the recent set of 3D printed aitcraft I wondered about 3D printing the body of the AD-HD to keep it nice and rigid and give firm mountings to everything.
The issue here is that I haven't made them quite as thin as some of those translucent models you see out there so weight may be an issue - so I wanted to pick the brains of you AD-HD flyers as to whether my initial attempt had any chance of flying or if I need to do more work before going any further.

I have draw up (in Tinkercad) a 30, 40 and 50 size AD-HD each having a version with and without a FPV camera mount on the front and all split into 2 so that they can be printed vertically on an average size printer (I use an Anet A8).

The 50 size has a flat rear end for fixing a mini brushless motor, the others have a hole to fix a coreless motor.
The 50 also has cut-out for micro servos and a space for the receiver, ESC and battery to go and the hollow inside allows for most wiring to be hidden away.
They all have a 3mm slot to aid fin mounting.

I had an issue near to the end of the back end of the 50 print where it lost adhesion to the bed so i had to stop for the last inch or so and then tinker the last part as a seperate item - but this did give me the idea of changing it to work that way anyway to allow fitting of the motor before the parts are joined.

I printed using PLA with a 0.4mm nozzle, 0.2mm layer height and 40% infill - so nothing special and reasonably rough finish as these are just test pieces (maybe?).
Print time for the 50 is about 4 hours at these settings.

A few pictures attached - servos fit perfectly and i may fit the motor before joining the rear end but before i go further please let me know if you think this will work - these 3 pieces add up to 57g - so already near the top end before adding wings, motor and electrics.

Is it worth proceeding?
Hope you like it
Oct 14, 2019, 04:56 AM
Hello modellermark and welcome aboard the thread, sir!

Ah, bad luck with the brick, is it still out of order or have you got around flying it?

Looks like you've put some thought to it. Love the embossed AD/HD title on the nose You have the servo holes quite in the nose, did you use something to calculate their places according the CG? This fuselage looks quite rigid.

Whoa, 57grams? Is it possible to shave up any weight? I bet it will fly, but it'll be fast and not that agile, just for outdoors use only. Also wing needs to be reinforced and fully taped which again adds in more weight.

Hope you don't plan to print the wing too, DiAleksi was about to try a full 3D printed 40 but the estimated weight was really high so he decided that it's not worth the shot.

I don't mean to shot you down with the idea, I'm actually keen to see how this would come up.
What servos and motor are you about to try by the way?

Just weighted the fuselage templates and got weights for EPP and packing foam fuselages the following readings:
1.0-1.5 grams for 30
1.0- 2.5 grams for 40
4.0-5.0 grams for 50 fuselage.
These are just for the foam cores so they do not include the weight of the possible cheek plates or firewall for brushless motor, adding a gram or two in total glue included.

Maybe I need to build a sleek debron fuselage with hollow interior, probably with a EPP core from the nose to the CG to preserve at least some of the elastic properties of the original concept.

Quick Reply