Feb 19, 2020, 07:31 AM
Way to much free time!
Keppis, Harri, and all!

Last weekend I tried rolling my foam and balsa 1-cell AD/HD airplane for the first time. We did well enough that Edgar captured on video the end of the flight:

AD/HD Simple RC wing airplane Indoors rolling for first time (1 min 51 sec)

Thanks again for sharing this sweet design!

- Curt
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2020, 09:44 AM
Look at you having a blast there Curt Glad to hear you're enjoying it that much, now the next step is to increase the throws a bit and amp up your flying, faster rolls and loops etc .
Feb 20, 2020, 07:32 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppis
Look at you having a blast there Curt Glad to hear you're enjoying it that much, now the next step is to increase the throws a bit and amp up your flying, faster rolls and loops etc .
Indeed!
I would like to add in a few loops with the new rolling. It may require a change to my control horns. The innermost hole, for maximum throw, is only one hole away from where they are now. And with the linear servos already at maximum throw I think that shorter control horns are in order. However, before I change them I will install guides to the pushrods for reduction of any flexing in them.
Mar 01, 2020, 02:38 AM
I've been testing out some fresh AD/HDs, the 3S 50 and new ligter 40 with coreless and a 40 brushless.

The 3S 50 has a slightly asymmetric wing, made out of 3mm Graupner Vector Board, so it tends to roll to the left and down on high throttle, I think the wing gives in a bit.. I also need to remember to secure the battery with a rubberband , flung the battery across the gym hall while the plane flipped on its place xD I also added 1x5 carbon flats on underside of the wing to see it that does the trick. That does not cut it I'll make it a 2S version, the batteries (2s 300mah and 3S 180mAh) weight the same, just need to lenghten the battery bay a bit.

Now the new 40 brushed flies like a dream, a blast to cruise or zoom around the place on full speed The only small problem is the motor or motor extention connection, it tends to cut the throttle at times

I managed to finish the 40 brushless.
Used a Happymodel SE0802 16 000kv motor , Micron Wings ESC 4A Bare Board ESC and HK-5320 servos with small 4 channel FrSky receiver. It weights under 30 grams with 3.03 gramAIO camera on board! It flies on 1S 150mAh or 200mAh cell, which makes it a bit under powered compared to the coreless using the HVLiPo cell, but it flies really slow and gently. I originally had the cheek plates out of 0.5mm Vector Board but switched them to 1.5-2.0mm EPP, just a bit more robustness and more weight to the front. I could save a bit on weight by soldering everything on the receiver and switching the motor extention wires to something lighter and so on

Another 50 is coming up, I'm likely to try detachable landing gear on it, tricycle version. And got to adjust the aileron differentials for the elevons, had some funky behaviour yesterday night And a lot of videos to go through and edit from several weekends already xD
I'm likely to edit this post later and attach some more images or video.

Fresh Deltas (2 min 16 sec)

How are everyone else doing? Harri had something new last night too
Last edited by Keppis; Mar 02, 2020 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added a video link
Mar 10, 2020, 07:38 AM
Ovella! (0 min 12 sec)

When you want to go indoor flying but nobody opens the door because they're already flying! We can hear similar banging there on almost every saturday

Made more tests with the 3S 50, glued 5x 0.5mm carbon flats under the wing, circa 2 cm from the leading edge to prevent it from bending in high speeds which seems to work to some extent but I still lost control on over rolling a few times. 2 full throttle slams to the floor from banking and all I that broke were ripped fuselage cheek plate and 15mm EPP core and ripping the tip off of the middle part of the wing.
I think I'd need to make the wing out of thicker Vector Board to see if it does the trick. Going to have a CoG problem after that though

Here's another video with some indoor flying. I remade my AD/HD 30 with brick receiver and 617 coreless motor. It seems to work really well now, starts at 4:14. It could use some more throws on the elevons though, I'll also need to resolder the positive battery wire back to the board since it came off.
Laukaa Indoor Flying 7.3.2020. (6 min 0 sec)
Mar 11, 2020, 06:46 AM
Way to much free time!
Well flown!
Mar 20, 2020, 06:55 AM
Thank You CorvetteC5
Seems like our indoor season ended earlier this year because of Covid-19 so we're going to continue flying outside. Calm days make a nice substitute for indoor hall. Now when it just get's a bit warmer.

Anyway, 0802 16 000kv motor with Micron Wings' 4A brushless ESC seems to work really well!
But when comparing to 7x15 55000rpm motor with Walkera-prop coreless gives just a few grams more static thrust. Need to make test between different kv 0802s and other drone motors and props to find the best combination for future. I might even try a 40 2S versionwith that motor. Maybe we'd get that pylon racing action on finally
And shave to some half grams from here and there on the components

On the new 40s I had to put in some aileron differential since the control horn placement and shape makes it to have some in built differential, good for normal flight but bad for flying inverted After I got the control throws somewhat symmetrical inverted flying became much easier while turning/banking. So check your control surface movements

I think I'll need to make some bit larger variants for outdoor use, 60+ with larger batteries for longer flight times etc.
Harri tried 6mm Vector Board which seems quite promising after some carbon reinforcements.

Here's a montage of 2 last weekend's DVR, got to say outside loops and inverted Split Ss and Immelman turns tend to twist your brain on FPV
Weekend compilation! DVR montage. (9 min 57 sec)

Check the blooper reel in the end at 8:46, had to make 0 repairs even with such abuse!
Apr 19, 2020, 07:10 AM
It's been quite quiet in here for a while, I thought to post some updates to break the silence.
Indoor season came to its end earlier this year due to Covid-19 restrictions but there's always the outdoors and the day's are getting longer too.
Sadly I didn't get to fly my new AD/HD 50 since the motor (AMAXinno 1103 5000kv ) apparently has one coil wire broken and it took way too long to get a spare for it so I'll be flying it outdoors then. I gave it almost identical taping like the earlier one I had.
AUW is 59.5g with 2S 180mAh battery with 3 servos, AMAXinno 1103 and TGY Plush 6A 32-bit.
Weight without the battery 46.25g

I also renewed "Das" AD/HD, switched its wing into a regular one, full taped and added a working rudder to it. Waiting for re-maiden flight.
AUW is 68.7g with 2S 300mAh battery and with 3 servos, AP03 motor and TGY Plush 6A. Without battery 51,35g

You could say that taping the wing fully adds up around 5 grams in total.

AD/HD 30's broken negative battery wire got also fixed, had to tear almost the whole wing out to get the brick out to solder it, so that is good to go too now.

I also tried flying in the forest with AD/HD 40 inspired by ALMODELS' (Alexey Efimov's) videos with his chuck glider conversions. I definitely need to give it another try
Forest FPV (3 min 49 sec)

I'm also tempted to try a hotwire cut EPP wing variant, not much planning needed, just suitable profiles.
Last edited by Keppis; Apr 19, 2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Adding more info and a photo
Apr 19, 2020, 07:58 AM
Interesting little plane.

What kind of wind can it fly in?
Apr 19, 2020, 10:07 AM
flightmode0,

On higher speed the winds doesn't toss these planes around as much when compared to slow flying
it depends on the place you fly in and what variant you fly. Steady wind is no problem and these planes are capable of slope soaring too, flew my 40 and a 50 on a slope in Italy last summer. Can't remember what the wind speed was back then, some 5 to 7 m/s I guess.

I followed another slope flier on a local slope last autumn, the wind wasn't strong enough for AD/HD just to slope soar, had to give in a bit of throttle to stay in the air.
AD/HD Slope Following (11 min 32 sec)
Apr 20, 2020, 01:31 PM
I think I might try to build one sooner or later.

Tried to build a small 300mm wing based on the versa wing but I cant get it to fly properly.
Apr 20, 2020, 02:52 PM
Generally the smaller you go the harder it is to get it to fly well (and not to talk about build symmetry), noticed the same when trying to make a 200mm wing and had some trouble with the Tiny Wiener too. But these, AD/HD's 40 and 50 have proven themselves on several different builders so I can easily recommend building one What do you have for electronic parts?
Apr 20, 2020, 03:18 PM
I have no real experience with fixed wing so the small planes are appealing as you can not cause too much damage with them and you can fly them on any grass field.

I read about the Tiny Wiener when it came, seems to be out of production.

For the failed wing I used frsky xmr mini, some low quality but lightweight linear servos and a rewound 0802 motor with a tello prop.

Have some emax micro servos also and 1103 motors if needed.
Last edited by flightmode0; Apr 20, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Apr 20, 2020, 03:53 PM
That seemed to fly quite well actually, maybe bigger winglets could have helped?

I had the Tiny Wiener, didn't like it, flew straight and fast and that's quite about it. ^^;
If you have no experience on fixed wing planes then this could be for you!
Your motor and servos sound good for a 2S 50 and those electronics on the "failed wing" can make a nice 40 size 1S AD/HD
Apr 20, 2020, 03:59 PM
It might be that I'm just not much of a pilot.

I have printed the plans. Thanks for making it availible!

I will report back.

Quick Reply