Feb 11, 2019, 08:58 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP
Build Log

Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 - V1 Old production run

Waiting for delivery - PA is putting together the Yellow and Black Scheme, but they have to build the tail and Shuan has to complete the kit Quality Control before Adad can ship it. It will be worth the wait....Started on my RCG Blog

In the meantime I have a complete Ultimate AMR 40 kit arriving Monday.
Last edited by simages; Mar 23, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2019, 04:19 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

PA Rocks!!!

Got my V1 260 Extra today!
Latest blog entry: For Sale
Mar 12, 2019, 08:57 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Time to Start......

Just finished my Mustang Strega project just in time and cleared the bench for the Extra!
Mar 12, 2019, 09:27 PM
The Extra looks good, I always wanted to get one as they are a true 3S 2200 plane. Enjoy the build.
Mar 12, 2019, 09:48 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduke1
The Extra looks good, I always wanted to get one as they are a true 3S 2200 plane. Enjoy the build.
Its my 2nd PA, but 1st Extra. I really liked the idea of another 3s because my 3rd PA is the Ultimate AMR...... and I ordered a 4x Pack PA V4 Lipo 2200mAh 11.1V 25-50c with this order.
Mar 15, 2019, 02:39 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Control Horn installs.....

I know this is a PA V1 260 which has been around for sometime now however; it's my 1st eXtra! Because of the black covering I had a H*** of a time finding the horn slots especially on the Elevator. I know I was not the only one.... as I searched and came across a few builds, comments and pictures.

Well I finally got to it and pulled through, but too often I'm a bit over meticulous or too careful..... ugh
Mar 15, 2019, 02:44 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Motor mount reinforcement....

Straight forward and easy enough, now wait the 24 hrs. Also; went over inside of fuselage joints with diluted epoxy.
Mar 15, 2019, 03:10 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Stabilizer Integrity

Well, not so good, guess I have a bit of filing to do......
Mar 15, 2019, 04:05 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

That will work.....

Much better....
Didn't take too much to fix, time to epoxy.....
Mar 15, 2019, 04:49 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Tail Feathers...

Centered, Straight and Parallel.....

Epoxy to set overnight, great day goofing off!
Mar 22, 2019, 12:28 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Ailerons, Elevator and Motor Box

Completed the Aileron and Elevator Servo installs as well as the linkage.
The extra balsa block for the elevator servo screws came loose even with pilot holes drilled. No problem, glued them back, re-drilled and are solid.
Motor Box lined up and fit perfectly as well as the pins which fit nice and snug!

I waited to install the tail wheel until now...
Mar 22, 2019, 08:14 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Close to finishing

All that's lacking are pull-pull cables, cowl, prop/spinner, wheel pants and tweaking the flight mode control throws...
Last edited by simages; Mar 22, 2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Anal Retentive Correction.....
Mar 23, 2019, 01:56 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Rudder control

The pull-pull cables are initially done, but need to tighten and fine tune at the servo arms.
Mar 23, 2019, 04:04 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Cowl done

Easiest thing yet......
Mar 25, 2019, 12:44 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Finishing up.....

I'd rather take my time with my builds.....

Added skid pad on battery tray, loving the PA 2200 V4 3s LiPo
Motor, Prop 13x5 and spinner done.....

Something's off sitting on the table....
Last edited by simages; Mar 25, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
Mar 25, 2019, 12:49 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Something was off......

The right LG is 8mm lower than the left.

Once corrected, everything lined up fairly well.

PA's flight weight is approx 33.7oz / 955g

This plane weighs in at 35.0oz / 992g - 35.5oz / 1006g (with Wheel Pants)

PA's CG range is 93 - 100mm / my CG is right at 95 - 98mm
Last edited by simages; Mar 25, 2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Anal Retentive Correction......
Mar 26, 2019, 04:30 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Final Tweaks Done.....

Ready for Maiden and it will probably fly itself........
Mar 26, 2019, 04:33 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

However; on second thought....

Although the V1 doesn't have the slots, I think I'll cut them in and add the Vortex Generators.
Last edited by simages; Mar 27, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
Mar 27, 2019, 07:47 AM
Hi all, I picked up one of these the other day for a good price complete with PA power system but the servos are Emax Es08 MA 11 12gram. The specs look good but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on these in this plane or their suitability.
Many thanks.
Mar 27, 2019, 11:51 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP

Bummer....

Two cracks appeared on the canopy covering.......

UGH, but I can fix this.....

That's what the scrap decal sheets are for......
Last edited by simages; Mar 27, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
Mar 27, 2019, 01:08 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreflyer
Hi all, I picked up one of these the other day for a good price complete with PA power system but the servos are Emax Es08 MA 11 12gram. The specs look good but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on these in this plane or their suitability.
Many thanks.
What color is the Extra 260?
I'm assuming the ones in your plane are Analog if so; it really depends on your flying style and needs during the flights like, precision, aerobatics, ability to hold the planes position and for many flight times are very important.... That being said; I personally prefer digital servos on control surfaces over analog especially in a 3D model and I know it's not always about the price. They seem like decent servos for the price and look like they've been around a while.
However; I've never owned these Emax servos so, maybe someone that has might chime in, but it might be better to post the question "directly" in the 3D Forum where thread is. https://www.rcgroups.com/3d-flying-188/

Hope this helps

Mar 27, 2019, 02:41 PM
Hi Simages,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 60" model with Hitec 7245 digital servos and think they are worth the extra cost but as this is more of a budget buy I am tempted to try it with the emax servos as long as they are up to the job. Spec wise they seem ok and they have metal gears, it's just I am unfamiliar with them. I think it's a few years old (although looks as new)It's a green one. Will try your link, thanks.
Mar 27, 2019, 02:51 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreflyer
Hi Simages,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 60" model with Hitec 7245 digital servos and think they are worth the extra cost but as this is more of a budget buy I am tempted to try it with the emax servos as long as they are up to the job. Spec wise they seem ok and they have metal gears, it's just I am unfamiliar with them. I think it's a few years old (although looks as new)It's a green one. Will try your link, thanks.
Certainly, I'd agree and try them and as a new used model you'll probably get a better idea as you go through the maiden preflight setup. Also; the maiden will give you a better idea, who knows they might be just fine and maybe upgrade them later "if needed".
Mar 27, 2019, 05:25 PM
I was looking at your canopy and wondered why you showed picture 3 and 4? Then I realised it was the carbon underneath and not the same decals that are on the canopy of my Extra! I have had success with canopy glues and a piece of thin flexible plastic (old packaging) glued on the inside to reinforce. For picture 1 a bit of filler ( plastic airfix kit type for example) then spray BUT my preferred method is glue/ thin plastic to prevent further cracking followed by, as you say, decal cover up. I have had success printing images/ patterns off the computer to the right size to cover cracks etc. and then using clear tape to seal the outside. canopy glue adheres into place. You don't see it when you are prop hanging in front of you anyway!
Mar 27, 2019, 05:27 PM
Ah sorry, just realised. Those are the decals! Nice job!
Mar 27, 2019, 07:59 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Thread OP
Yup...... that's what the scrap decal sheets are good for...... it was easier to seal the cracks and cover with decals because in that location it's yellow paint over the smoked canopy.....
Last edited by simages; Mar 28, 2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply