Apr 10, 2019, 10:44 PM
Just tape the blade, slightly off vertical, to a bottle, and wait for it to dry.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2019, 07:36 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by k k iyer
Just tape the blade, slightly off vertical, to a bottle, and wait for it to dry.
Better idea, thank you. The stove process intrigued me for its swiftness but we have a flat top stove and one isnt supposed to turn it on unless a pot or pan is sitting on the burner area. The bottle seems a good alternative, thanks.
Apr 11, 2019, 11:58 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Heres a pic from the magazine, the fellow I was referencing was Bruce Kimball.
Apr 11, 2019, 01:01 PM
B for Bruce
Or you could do your own props using a wood dowel hub and blades cut from pop bottles or yogurt containers. That's cheap enough and the blades are quite flexible and damage resistant. For up to maybe 7 inch the side plastic on 1L bottles is a good match for curve and strength. For larger use large size yogurt or cottage cheeze containers.
Apr 11, 2019, 08:54 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Thanks Bruce, I think I’ll try that also.
Apr 15, 2019, 10:04 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
hi Skysters,
I had a bit of time to myself tonight so I thought I’d give the bent sheet balsa props a go. The plans call for 10” props but lacking a full size pattern I laid a 9” grey Peck prop on the balsa and stretched the shape a bit. Traced it and cut out, then sanded an airfoil shape into them. Turned out pretty good if I must pat my own back.

So now I have a pair of nice airfoiled flat balsa props. It’s now late and dark so tomorrow it will my chore to route through the recycle bin for an approximate diameter container to mold the blades around.

The props were weighed on an old electric postal scale which measures in 1/10ths if an ounce. Both showed .1 on the scale, but I’m not sure if that’s what they actually weigh or since .1 is the minimum weight on the scale that’s what showed. A new penny also showed .1, but the 9” Peck prop showed .3 of an ounce. Both props together on the scale showed .2. I don’t know if this is good or not but they feel real light to me.

Anyhow, they look good to me so tomorrow I’ll try to steam some pitch into them. Let’s see what happens. Stay tuned...
Apr 22, 2019, 08:46 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Hi Skysters, a very little bit o progress.

Half the wing is covered and three of four prop blades are molded. Pics tell the story. Gotta get a move on and wrap this up. Stay tuned...
Apr 28, 2019, 08:34 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
A few little steps again. ( I know, for something this simple its taking pathetically long) The other half of the wing is covered but needs the edges sanded and glued down. Rudders were cut from 1/16 and sanded to 1/20 as required. Motor sticks were cut from sheet to 1/8 by 3/8 by 16 long. Not real happy as the balsa wasnt real hard, but its only one loop of rubber so it might work.

The parts layout was a wake up as I realized how far apart the props will be, obviously liftoff will be a two or three handed affair. Ill be glad once its done as its so delicate to handle it makes me nervous holding it.
Apr 28, 2019, 09:52 PM
B for Bruce
Delicate can also mean flexible and supple. And like the lofty willow tree supple and flexible can often prove to be amazingly durable. So it may not be as bad as you think.
May 01, 2019, 09:12 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Bruce,
I tried thinking ‘supple and flexible’ every time I pick it up and so far no more broken ribs. :^)

However, another mountain to conquer...motor sticks are done except for prop hangers. Lookin at the plans there is no mention of where the sticks should be centered on the end rib. A rough estimate is 1/3 of the stick in front and 2/3 behind, unless this dimension was excluded as a precise spot isn’t necessary. Just ‘wing’ it, so to speak.

Any help?

And anybody have a picture of how to do the prop hubs? I know it’s second nature to some but I’m learning here.

Thanks.
May 20, 2019, 10:03 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Still poking along. Flying in the dark with the propellor construction as I’ve never done this. Been reading a few books for ideas and this is there I’m at. The blades are glued to 1/4” sqs. which are sanded round and inserted into sections of plastic orange colored straws.

Next step will be to fix a prop shaft, I’d like to leave the props a friction fit to adjust pitch and play with it a bit.

Any thoughts are very welcome here, I need all the help I can get.

Btw the caption on pic# 3 should say 10 inches and 12 inches, not sure why it came out like that.
May 20, 2019, 10:07 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
I saw this on YouTube, didn’t realize the WD was a scale model. :^)

Giant Freaky Fireworks Flying Saucer (1 min 47 sec)
May 23, 2019, 05:54 AM
Impressive...!
Like a giant, rocket powered "Charybdis"......
May 28, 2019, 08:27 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Note pencil for size reference. Also magic marker arrows to indicate direction of spin and avoid mass confusion at moment of launch. If it can happen..
May 28, 2019, 10:13 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Ooohh.... I like the WD Jim..... it looks ready for a whirl...

Best regards,

jeff

Quick Reply