Feb 10, 2019, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1/10 Boeing 757-200 UPS Freighter

Guys,

I am a while from starting to cut any wood, but I want to start the discussion on a project I have been wanting to design for as long as I can remember. I want to develop a good set of plans, cut files, gear, etc. for a 1/10 scale Boeing 757-200 UPS Freighter. That would give me a wingspan of 149.8" a length of 186.3" and a height of 53.4". I want to have all the scale details and all the flaps, flight controls function like the real one. I basically want to shrink down the real one! However, I need to keep it as light as I can get it too because I would like to do this with EDF's. I may be dreaming with the EDF's and will go the turbine route if I need to, but I have along way to go and a lot of design and number crunching to go. I love the 757 and to me, just a beautiful airplane and I love the nose section!

With that being said, I have gone through the data thread and downloaded all the pictures I could and bought the 757 Systems Manual. But I am asking the group and big favor, if you have a factory drawings, parts manual, technical references, accurate scale drawings or anything that will help me design this, that would be extremely helpful. With the level of scale I am looking at, I will need it. If I can't find enough, then I will more then likely abandon the project. I want to go as scale as I can and having the reference is important to me. I am willing to pay for the information as well. I have a couple books on the 757 Philip Birtles as well and they are good, just not the level I of detail I want for the build. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

I plan to use Draftsight 2D and Solidoworks 3D for the modeling and I have 12" x 24" 60W laser cutter, 24" x 36" CNC router to take care of the parts and Craftbot 3 3D printer to do scale details and prototyping. I plan on adding a CNC mill and lathe late 2019 or early 2020. I want to make the gear scale as well and want to make them myself.

Thanks for any help and inputs. It will be awhile before I get started and I will start another thread when building starts or turn this over to a build thread when the time comes. I hope not to get flogged with my ambitious project like this, just want to share with the group and ask for a little help. Thanks.
Last edited by spookyeng; Feb 11, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2019, 06:08 PM
This will be a masterpiece for sure. I don't have enough life for such a project but this is how I would build one.

I would start with a crutch for the center of the fuse which would be built like the old iron bridges and crane booms. The center section receives the most stress which dictates some ply wood (regular and lite). For the booms connecting the nose gear and the tail feathers, I would use spruce with a generous number of gussets. All removable items would use Testflies' wing latch and multipin connectors. At first the structure will seem rather wobbly but the fuselage skin will provide the additional rigidity needed. Flesh out the fuse with foam formers and skin. Use foam for anything that does not provide a structural or mechanical purpose like flap mechanism covers.

For the wing I would use plywood and spruce as needed with balsa ribs forward of the spars and balsa sheeting. One thing I have thought of, but not tried, is using furniture grade vanier for wing sheeting. Pluses: it comes in big sheets, is quite thin, bends like card stock and stronger than balsa. Minuses: it weighs more like slightly heavy spruce and the amount of sealer needed depends on the porousness of the wood you choose.

I would make the outer wing panels with foam and use spruce spars. Also would use Testflies' latches on them.

Here is the link to see Testflies' wing latches: http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/md-87/view.html
Feb 11, 2019, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Pilot
This will be a masterpiece for sure. I don't have enough life for such a project but this is how I would build one.

I would start with a crutch for the center of the fuse which would be built like the old iron bridges and crane booms. The center section receives the most stress which dictates some ply wood (regular and lite). For the booms connecting the nose gear and the tail feathers, I would use spruce with a generous number of gussets. All removable items would use Testflies' wing latch and multipin connectors. At first the structure will seem rather wobbly but the fuselage skin will provide the additional rigidity needed. Flesh out the fuse with foam formers and skin. Use foam for anything that does not provide a structural or mechanical purpose like flap mechanism covers.

For the wing I would use plywood and spruce as needed with balsa ribs forward of the spars and balsa sheeting. One thing I have thought of, but not tried, is using furniture grade vanier for wing sheeting. Pluses: it comes in big sheets, is quite thin, bends like card stock and stronger than balsa. Minuses: it weighs more like slightly heavy spruce and the amount of sealer needed depends on the porousness of the wood you choose.

I would make the outer wing panels with foam and use spruce spars. Also would use Testflies' latches on them.

Here is the link to see Testflies' wing latches: http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/md-87/view.html
Thank you for the advice and information, it is greatly appreciated! Those are things I will need to consider and I do plan on building the fuselage on a crutch and have jigs for the wings, rudder, and elevators. I plan on doing the spoilers, leading edge slats, and flaps in the same fashion as well. I love making jigs and hopefully make the assembly easier. My goal it to not build over plans at all. Thanks again!
Feb 28, 2019, 07:09 PM
Are you making any progress?
Mar 01, 2019, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Are you making any progress?
Unfortunately no, I am not finding good information for the scale details I am searching for. I will continue to search though and not ready to give up yet! Thank.

Jason
Mar 01, 2019, 11:56 AM
RC Airliner Man
here are the official boeing 3 views cad airport planning drawings whatcha have the 757-200 cad scale outline to download http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/3_view.page

another boeing pdf with info
http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...aps/757_23.pdf
Last edited by brett1984; Mar 01, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
Mar 01, 2019, 06:04 PM
airliner-rc.ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyeng
Unfortunately no, I am not finding good information for the scale details I am searching for. I will continue to search though and not ready to give up yet! Thank………..

I plan to use Draftsight 2D and Solidoworks 3D for the modeling
It takes a lot of works or money to make 3D models.
Apr 18, 2019, 09:35 AM
Have you started building yet?
Apr 19, 2019, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1984
here are the official boeing 3 views cad airport planning drawings whatcha have the 757-200 cad scale outline to download http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/3_view.page

another boeing pdf with info
http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...aps/757_23.pdf
Brett, thanks for the information. I have the 3 views from Boeing, but i have not seen the document! Thanks for sharing, i appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airliner-rc/
It takes a lot of works or money to make 3D models.
You are correct, it take a lot of time to get these drawn up. Draftsight is free for now and Solidworks Student i get for free, so I am pretty fortunate to have this software to work with.

Quote:
Have you started building yet?
Not much going on, still doing a bunch of research and collecting photos. I have been on the road for the last three weeks for flight training on the L3 Latitude Engineering FVR-90 Hydrid UAV. It looks like I will be on the road a lot this summer flying the FVR-90, but it all depends on fire season. I will do as much as I can while I am home, but don't expect a lot of progress this summer. Thanks.
Apr 20, 2019, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Not much going on, still doing a bunch of research and collecting photos. I have been on the road for the last three weeks for flight training on the L3 Latitude Engineering FVR-90 Hydrid UAV. It looks like I will be on the road a lot this summer flying the FVR-90, but it all depends on fire season. I will do as much as I can while I am home, but don't expect a lot of progress this summer. Thanks.
You lucky dog. I have wanted to be a UAV pilot but I am to old for anyone to be willing to hire me.
Apr 21, 2019, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
You lucky dog. I have wanted to be a UAV pilot but I am to old for anyone to be willing to hire me.
I do feel fortunate, for sure. If you have group 2 UAV experience and your Part 107, there are quite a few companies hiring, age should not be a factor!
Apr 22, 2019, 03:54 PM
Quote:
I do feel fortunate, for sure. If you have group 2 UAV experience and your Part 107, there are quite a few companies hiring, age should not be a factor!
I understand the word experience but have no clue about the meaning of group 2 and Part 107. My aging memory is already causing occasional problems with my flight sim procedures, especially with the more complex multi engine types.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Aug 06, 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:03 PM
hello im a 12 year old and im looking for some free plans if anyone could help that would be great i have just finished building an a 10 warthog and im looking to build an airliner
Sep 20, 2019, 09:31 AM
IWC
IWC
Aerosquare Airbus

Quick Reply