Feb 10, 2019, 05:19 PM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Thread OP
Discussion

Bridi Gyro Plans or Kit

Looking for a set of plans for the Bridi Gyro or a kit that has the plans.

Thanks
John
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Still looking for the Gyro plans if anyone has a set.
Oct 18, 2019, 12:52 PM
NMPRA 34C
I built one of those in the 80's. Painfully slow. Never really took as a legitimate Q500. The high- wing craze was just hitting at that point. Probably the only place you will find the plans is contacting whom ever has control of the Bridi collection.

Don't even know where to start.

I will say however, a kid showed at a 428 contest in Vegas around 94' with a Nelson powered Dodger. He and the airplane were notably fast. If I was going to build a low wing Q500, I would try to find one of those. They looked cool too.

The Gyro was a Spicker Q500 clone with a round tail. The only one I ever saw go kind a fast was piloted by Bruce Brown, they had good K&B 6.5 engines back on the day. But it would get killed by a QV6 or even a Viper these days.

Dave
Last edited by Dave Yost; Oct 18, 2019 at 01:06 PM.
Oct 18, 2019, 01:11 PM
NMPRA 34C
http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bigdirtybirdy.html

They might be able to help you.

Cheers, Dave
Nov 03, 2019, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
I’m building one just as a sport plane, not to race. This is about the only Bridi design I can’t seem to find the planes for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Yost
I built one of those in the 80's. Painfully slow. Never really took as a legitimate Q500. The high- wing craze was just hitting at that point. Probably the only place you will find the plans is contacting whom ever has control of the Bridi collection.

Don't even know where to start.

I will say however, a kid showed at a 428 contest in Vegas around 94' with a Nelson powered Dodger. He and the airplane were notably fast. If I was going to build a low wing Q500, I would try to find one of those. They looked cool too.

The Gyro was a Spicker Q500 clone with a round tail. The only one I ever saw go kind a fast was piloted by Bruce Brown, they had good K&B 6.5 engines back on the day. But it would get killed by a QV6 or even a Viper these days.

Dave
Nov 03, 2019, 02:05 PM
Hi Dave,
I only flew my Gyro a short time, just a race or two till a minor mid-air, then it sat in my closet for many years waiting for repair but we had moved on to F1 full time and I recently threw it away. Had a piece out of the leading edge and part of stab. The wing leading edge damage really kept it grounded for safety. I had good times with the Scat Cat and original Quickie. We had Bill and Mike Wiesnieski (spelling?) from K&B helping us make those 6.5s go even after they were out of production. I don't have plans left for the Gyro.
Nov 04, 2019, 10:52 AM
Pile-it
Not really plans....but a few photos at least. Should be easy to catch the essence of it anyway.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-50...yro-build.html

Red
Latest blog entry: Impulse - Wing build begins!
Sep 09, 2020, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech
Not really plans....but a few photos at least. Should be easy to catch the essence of it anyway.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-50...yro-build.html

Red
Thanks for the info, that will help.

Amazing how difficult these plans are to find, don't get it.
Sep 10, 2020, 11:19 PM
I have plans to the Bridi “Quickest 500” which was around 1980. High wing design, with slight differences from Gyro. Enough tail area for pattern.

Quick Reply