This thread is privately moderated by AA5BY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 10, 2019, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Giant Scale Plan Building

Recent years just prior to and after retirement have provided opportunity to embrace plan building several giant scale projects, some of which are profiled in my blog here and on build threads in the Balsa Building Forum.

The first of those was a plane I called Big Red, my only self designed creation, It was a thirties era looking open cockpit having an eight foot wing span, and powered by an MLD 35. It was a sport/aerobatic plane and flew wonderful. It is profiled in elsewhere here in the blog. Unfortunately it was lost last year after going downwind too far and skidding it into the top of a pine tree off the far end of the runway. The causes of the crash were two fold and combined to produce the sad ending. It happened on a very windy day and I'd not flown the plane in a many months, having given focus to slow flyers. Bottom line, the plane went downwind further than I'd expected due to the high wind and faster airplane than I'd been used to flying. When turning onto final, I was beyond the trees instead of inside them.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post40355828

The second was a 1929 Travel Air 6000, my first and probably only effort within the scale building genre. It was also an eight foot wingspan build and powered with a Zenoah G-26. The most striking thing to say about it, the maiden was a bit hairy... it yawed horribly away from a turn and needed a lot of down trim. Fortunately, after giving it a huge amount of aileron differential, generous aileron to rudder mix, and cranking +1.75 into the adjustable stab... it became a putty tat to fly. The inspiration for the build was having enjoyed a ride and even the controls in a full scale.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6000-Build-Log

The third was a Das Box Fly Bipe, built 90". also using an enlarged Outer Zone plan like had been done with the Travel Air. In my hanger was a kit build of this plane half its size that was such a great flyer, that it seemed a good candidate for giant scale. It got powered by a engine given to me for the build, an OS 40 cc four stroke. The giant Das Box Fly is a very slow flyer, having a lot of drag but a lot of wing area. At twenty pounds, it is the heaviest plane in my fleet, but will amazingly fly safely with eight pounds of engine thrust. That however can be a negative... having once landed and coming almost to a complete stop, a sudden and very hard blast of wind down the runway, caused it to flip over like it was a Mexican jumping bean sitting on the runway.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ratch-build%29

The fourth and current build is a 28% Fly Baby, also from an enlarged Outer Zone plan. Power will be from a Ryobi weed conversion. A notable feature of this build is that it incorporates independently adjustable wing incidence trimmers for the two piece plug in wing panels, that will allow not only adjusting the wing incidence but trimming the ailerons neutral. It is expected to be a gentle and slow flyer. It also features functional and dependent wing flying wires and bolt on stabs.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...45-28-Fly-Baby

Next project... will possibly be a 100" Eindecker.... we'll see.

All four of these planes have been featured in build threads in the Balsa Builders Forum.

Thanks for reading,
Arlyn
Last edited by AA5BY; Feb 10, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2019, 02:44 PM
Arlyn-
You have been busy! I gotta catch up with your projects , they look great !
regards, Jef
Feb 22, 2019, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Hey Jef

Not near as busy as I ought to be. I've been putting off covering the Fly Baby for a few weeks now but part of that is the lack of pressure, because painting season is a way off.

Anything on your building boards?
Feb 28, 2019, 09:36 PM
Hi Arlyn - sorry missed your reply ---Mostly been flying and repairing , but am getting back to a 72 "Comet Clipper .
Some drivel I post over on 'super light sticks' Including a very successful stabilizer intermixed with my usual incomprehensible nonsense..but I promise to get the Clipper in swing .
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...k-planes/page8

Quick Reply