Jan 16, 2005, 09:14 AM
Thread OP

To oil or not to oil?

Do small electric motors like the GWS EPS 350 or 400 motor require oil and what kind of oil and how much?
Put in your 2cents on this subject.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2005, 09:49 AM
OldDog,
I use a drop of "White" sewing machine oil from a toothpic on each end of the motor shaft. Check out https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319551 for information on breakin.

Alan
Jan 16, 2005, 10:19 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Yes. Only a small drop on the front and back bushing. I use Trinity motor oil. It's the stuff The car guys use.
Jan 16, 2005, 10:40 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
Yes. Only a small drop on the front and back bushing. I use Trinity motor oil. It's the stuff The car guys use.
After trying several oils, I also settled on Trinity oil. The stuff I buy comes in a slender cylindrical plastic squeeze bottle with a needle-point metal oiling tube (like a hypodermic needle without the sharp point). This makes it simple to control where and how much oil you apply.

Great oil in an excellent container.

Pete
Jan 16, 2005, 11:04 AM
eflyguy
Any machine oil is good on motors WITHOUT bearings - the frequency with which it is applied is more important than the type. Oil before and after every flying session if you can get at the motor. NEVER oil motors that have ball bearings (search and you'll find plenty of previous discussion on this - bearings are lubricated at the factory, usually designed to last thousands of hours, oil will wash this lube away).
..a
Jan 16, 2005, 12:27 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
NEVER oil motors that have ball bearings
This, I believe, is contrary to the information Astro Bob provides. I can't find my instruction sheet for my Mighty Micro 010 so I might be wrong but my personal experience supports the use of oil on ball bearings:

I'm on my 3rd set of bearings in 10 months on my 010. This last set is the first set I've oiled and they have outlasted the last two sets by at least twice as long. They're also noiseless to this day.

Some bearings are actually sealed but many are just shielded. Sealed bearings are "lifetime" lubricated but shielded bearings typically aren't.

Pete
Last edited by PGR; Jan 16, 2005 at 12:31 PM.
Jan 16, 2005, 12:47 PM
Radio Shack Oiler - Slick Zero Bushing Oiler
Jan 16, 2005, 12:59 PM
Permanently Banned

Marvel Mystery and STP Mix- Boater's Lube

Most brushed motors use oillite bronze bushings with what looks like stainless steel shafts, but I still feel it better to wet them with some 3 in 1 sewing machine oil or Marvel Mystery mixed with STP
Jan 16, 2005, 01:15 PM
Chillin till SEFF
I don't know about ball bearings. I would think thaey would use a thin grease of some sort. The bushings are what I oil.
Jan 16, 2005, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the replys.

OLddog
Jan 16, 2005, 04:51 PM
Suspended Account
on a himaxx direct drive brushless..should they be oiled??...
Jan 16, 2005, 06:38 PM
Gerneral practice is that phosphor bronze plain bearings need oil, and regularly. 3 in 1 is a reliable cheap brand. Camn motors don';t have stainless shafts: They don;t even have hard steel shafts. they have almost wire shafts as anyone who has bent obne or cut it will tell yoiu.

Better motors have better shafts.

Ball races don't need oil, except to prevent rusting. But a thin oil does no harm. Grease may cause the balls to sieze and wear out very quickly - sometimes ball races come packed in gerase, and its important to wash that out wioth oil. Light oil in general does no harm to ball races.

Gearboxc gears though do need grease - and thick stuff - the sliding forces on the teeth will cause rapid wear if not lubricated by an oil that will stay functional at high temperatures and shear rates. I don't know a suitable brand, which I ought to, so if anyone else does, tell me!
Jan 16, 2005, 08:02 PM
Suspended Account
Vintage..thanks for the reply..unfortunatley..im not sure if it answered my question...I have no idea what type bearings are in my himaxx...I have only flown it once..and also wanted to know if the motor should be oiled before it is used...
Jan 16, 2005, 08:35 PM
eflyguy
Vintage's advice is in direct conflict with what I was told by Mike @ Kontronik and by a Hacker rep. I trust the manufacturers on this.

That said, not all motors are created equal - perhaps there are brands that require oil. I've not found one yet, however..
..a
Jan 17, 2005, 11:37 AM
Permanently Banned

Brushless Motors have Sealed Bearings

Sealed bearing R what I've seen when repairing BL motors

Quick Reply