Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 09, 2019, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro DLG ( Yes you can use the 3 letter F word )

F Word = Fun ! ( Yes the 3 letter F word - Not the other one )

I really liked ( still do ) the UMX Whipit .
The only problem as I saw it , I may have got the last one in Oz ( I blame the Wizard for that ) .

So what is one to do when you can't buy another Whip ? Rip it off - of course !
That was how the Rip 1 was born , I kind of kept tuning / modding / breaking the Whip . ( I needed a spare micro DLG )
Could not buy one , well unless I wanted to pay double to get one ( I did not want to pay double = Shipping )

So I started making my own .
Ripit 1 was an experiment , and by Rev 1.3 it was gliding ok .
By now I was a little hooked on the idea of a DIY DLG for HLG at the park ( ATP ) ..
So it was time for Ripit Revision 2 ...
Oh the problems !
Oh yeah , R2 was a serious pain in the gluteus maximus often referred to as PITA .
I did learn stuff though ..

The cost of DIY is around $20 to $30 depending on your levels of materials on hand .
So for under $30 ozzi bananas I can build a micro DLG ..
Close to $20 is in the servos and Rx , this is a unavoidable expense .
Foam for wings and tail can be sourced for $0
But the carbon boom , control rods ...
If you tried really hard , I dont see why you could not do it for $20 even ..

V911 flight boards were as little as $12 a while ago , I still have 2 myself as well as some V949 flight boards ...
The 949 flight boards could be used for Aileron / Elevator with flaperon possible ... ( Bank and yank + some trick mixing )

I have some plans for my 949 boards as well the V911 boards ..

Anyhow , Part of the post ( reason )
I did what I did because I could not buy another Whipit ..
Rumour is , another production run of Whipit's ...
If we get some in Oz , I will buy another ..
Really itching to mod a factory fresh Whip ..
Put it on a diet , stiffen it , strengthen it , Have some serious fun with it !
I don't think I can make a better micro DLG than the whip ( pretty sure ) ..
But I know I can improve the whip ..
Last edited by old4570; Feb 11, 2019 at 07:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2019, 09:59 PM
I think if you made an RC micro dlg with a sanded balsa wing that was, say, 5 or 6 percent thick, it might be considerably better than the Whipit.

I think an all-balsa fuselage probably wouldn't cost you much, if any weight at this size. At least if you did it well.

The Apogee as seen on charlesriverrc.org is a really good small rc hlg design, plus there are some good building tips. The smallest one doesn't fly nearly as well as the three foot and 1 meter versions, but maybe it just needs a thinner foil. I suspect a well made model based on the Apogee but with a dlg style tail and a thinner airfoil would be considerably better than the Whipit.
Feb 10, 2019, 10:02 PM
BTW, if you make your own model, you might try putting a suitably reinforced hook under the nose and launching it as a catapult launch glider, but with, say, surgical tubing instead of a loop of 1/4 inch rubber tubing.
Feb 11, 2019, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Hmmmm , I haven't put any carbon in my wings ..
So ? Catapulting / sling shot / bungee - can put a fair load on the wings ..
A long time ago I used to visit a winch club , and I saw a few models clap their wings ..
A bungee launcher , always wanted to try that !
My DLG 1000 has a hook ...

Balsa - I want to build at least one Balsa Micro around 700mm ...
And I am thinking either Ail / Elevator or Ail / Ele / Rud
The 949 boards will allow the use of a extra sub micro servo ..

I have a 20 year old ( or more ) stack of balsa doing nothing ..

Hmmmm
Feb 11, 2019, 10:33 AM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
What is the other 3 letter F word?

Ryan
Feb 11, 2019, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
What is the other 3 letter F word?

Ryan
fad,fag,fan,far,fas,fat,fax,fay,fed,fee,feh,fem,fe n,fer,fet,feu,few,fey,fez,fib,fid,fie,fig,fil,fin, fir,fit,fix,fiz,flu,fly,fob,foe,fog,foh,fon,fop,fo r,fou,fox,foy,fro,fry,fub,fud,fug,fun,fur

that's about all.... I think

HA
Feb 12, 2019, 01:47 PM
Hi from Bob M. I really like your mini DLG design. I just released a micro DLG (31 1/2" span) . Mine uses Ivan's (YaShii's designer's) 3D printed pods and they have been coming in at 75 to 100 grams ready to fly. I have been designing and building mini DLG's for about 10 years and have tried all sorts of materials. Ivan's wings are hand carved and sanded balsa and are like jewelry-really first class. I had some connections and got my hands on one of the first pre-production Whipits and love it. They fly very well and can stay up as much as an hour using 200 MAH packs. They are also fun on small slopes and sand dunes. Anyways, keep up the good work. Bob M. owner RJM SYSTEMS.
Feb 12, 2019, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobcat56
Hi from Bob M. I really like your mini DLG design. I just released a micro DLG (31 1/2" span) . Mine uses Ivan's (YaShii's designer's) 3D printed pods and they have been coming in at 75 to 100 grams ready to fly. I have been designing and building mini DLG's for about 10 years and have tried all sorts of materials. Ivan's wings are hand carved and sanded balsa and are like jewelry-really first class. I had some connections and got my hands on one of the first pre-production Whipits and love it. They fly very well and can stay up as much as an hour using 200 MAH packs. They are also fun on small slopes and sand dunes. Anyways, keep up the good work. Bob M. owner RJM SYSTEMS.
Hi - Mine are foam , R2.8 being Depron ( Wing is a Depron Foam mix - Laminated )

630mm wing span ..

Weights are right around the 50 gram mark ...

I will try balsa this year ..
But I may expand the wing to 700mm
Also I will try a smaller DLG , around 500mm
As well I would love to try a 3 channel micro ( Ail / Ele / Rud )

The best part is the $ value and the Fun factor ( And the cheap education )

Thanks Bob , Im looking forward to getting my hands on a factory fresh Whipit ..
I have some ideas I want to try from my experience with my first Whip ( still flies well ) , but it has put on weight .. ( Not necessarily a bad thing )
Today, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
Ripit Revision 2 8 (5 min 38 sec)

Quick Reply