Feb 09, 2019, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What to purchase?

Looking at ordering 2 3d planes.

I only really sport fly and trying to learn some 3d stuff,
I am in Canada and for the planes that i like i will have to order direct from EF. This brings up a couple of qustions:

1) Anyone know if its unbearable cost wise to order from EF while im in Canada?
2) What other motors can you use, as this might save on customs fees. Cant seem to find a torque retailer within canada.
3) what should i get?

My thoughts are the following:

a) 64" MXS metal scheme and 3dHS 60" slick 580 V2
b) same as above just one 60" and one 70"
c) both 70" planes

For judgement help i had a PA Extra MX 52" plane before hand and a found it to be brittle. well flying machine but i had crashed it one to many times.

What would you go with and why?

I like the 60" planes as they are easier to get to and from the field, normally I drive a jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
I like to take planes and helis to the field simultaneously if i can.
However I also have a F-350 in the driveway. Which I can drive to the field and put the planes in the bed, but that means a chance of damage.

Anyways let me know you thoughts.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2019, 06:15 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
My opinion is learning most of any 3D maneuver you are better off with a EPP foam plane. I learn on the foamies and then transfer that move over to a balsa plane. Even then the balsa plane stays higher up. The bigger planes are easier to learn on but are harder on the wallet. I crashed more learning rolling harriers than I did learning to fly. Even to this day I fly the foamies harder and lower than I ever do with my balsa planes.
Feb 09, 2019, 08:28 PM
Foam is your friend my friend.

If I had the funding I would get the EF Slick and a 38" PP plane from Skywing or Future Models. They fly like a big 3d plane actually really awesome! And are cheap and both have good support. They will give you big plane handling and every 3d move in a small budget friendly package.

Then put what you learn o. The sticks of the EF Slick
Feb 09, 2019, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammied
Foam is your friend my friend.

If I had the funding I would get the EF Slick and a 38" PP plane from Skywing or Future Models. They fly like a big 3d plane actually really awesome! And are cheap and both have good support. They will give you big plane handling and every 3d move in a small budget friendly package.

Then put what you learn o. The sticks of the EF Slick
I have 3 twisted hobby planes and 3/4 of the time its too windy at the field for these planes.
I have the extra, MX and tuber beaver.

I was considering the veloxity.
Feb 09, 2019, 10:00 PM
Old's Cool
The Veloxity is probably the best plane TH sells for wind. I also think it flies more like a balsa plane than any other that I've tried. Its a bit pricey, but worth it. Plus you can save some money on servos, motor and ESC if you try.
Feb 09, 2019, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnooly
The Veloxity is probably the best plane TH sells for wind. I also think it flies more like a balsa plane than any other that I've tried. Its a bit pricey, but worth it. Plus you can save some money on servos, motor and ESC if you try.
I have no idea whats out there for EPP planes and whats the best for EPP...

Never heard of the othe two future models or the other one..
Feb 09, 2019, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Any thoughts on the new Timber X from E-flite?
Feb 09, 2019, 10:34 PM
Well the PP planes I mentioned are a completely different animal than the profile foamies!! They are full blown 3d airframe I fly my 38" SW edge. In 20 mph winds. These PP full fuse 3d planes are not even close to a profile foamie . They are extreme high energy xa machines that have the feel of big balsa planes. You can check the threads in the 3d foamie section.

But I am for sure getting a Timber x!! I have a soft spot for high wing 3d
Feb 09, 2019, 10:48 PM
Btw I also had a katana mx now the gear from it reside in a 55" PP Edge from Skywing and these edges will easily do anything the balsa 3d Edges will do. Feels like a balsa plane

Not harping and no bad mouthing PA or extreme flight but it is amazing flying this new generation PP not epp foamie
Feb 10, 2019, 12:54 PM
Team Extreme Flight
60" MXS is badass. Might be a little wild if you are still learning, though. Extra or Slick would be better choices in that case. The V2 Slick is the nicest and coolest plane I've ever owned, and the V1 is right there with it.

However, for learning 3D, most people are going to tell you to get the Edge EXP.

Hopefully you will find this helpful: The New Sport Pilot's Guide To 3D

Also, if size is a consideration, the 52s are less money, store and transport more easily, and fly nearly as well. There' a bunch less stress in flying something cheaper and more replaceable.
Feb 10, 2019, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Well the PP planes I mentioned are a completely different animal than the profile foamies!! They are full blown 3d airframe I fly my 38" SW edge. In 20 mph winds. These PP full fuse 3d planes are not even close to a profile foamie . They are extreme high energy xa machines that have the feel of big balsa planes. You can check the threads in the 3d foamie section.

But I am for sure getting a Timber x!! I have a soft spot for high wing 3d
I will second this suggestion on the PP planes. These planes are awesome. Get a 38" PP Edge from Future Model and put a $20 Eagle gyro in it. Set it on normal mode with about 20% gain and you won't even know the wind's blowing. Excellent tumbler and high energy plane, and does an absolutely wicked knife edge spin. It'll also harrier and hover almost as easy as a profile foamie, and also very durable.
Last edited by JoeDirtRC; Feb 10, 2019 at 01:32 PM.
Feb 10, 2019, 02:49 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
Profile planes while not as sexy as full fuse planes are easier to repair. As far as wind goes full fuse may have a slight advantage, but in my opinion not that much. For learning 3D you want a beater, you are going to crash a bunch. There is going to be compromises with any air frame you choose. Do you want to fly? Do you want to spend time repairing? Do you want to drain your checking account? My advice is get the cheapest, easiest to repair plane, then transfer what you learn to nicer planes.
Feb 10, 2019, 04:40 PM
My understanding is he isn't that thrilled about the profile foamies he has now. I can assure you that the PP planes are not as easily effected by the wind. And they carry momentum into high energy maneuvers. Imho if he wants to move into a big 3d plane the PP 38" will translate better to a big airplane. None of the profile planes that I have fly anywhere close to the big planes.

I believe you can still get the Future model slick or edge at around $100 And can have one flying for a grand total of around $150 that's including the airframe and electronics. They are fairly easy to repair with foam safe glue and are durable pretty much takes a nose dive into the dirt at pretty good speed to break them. I have cart wheeled mine and and done a lot of inverted flat spin landings on accident. Back in the air in a few minutes. Never broke anything major in my crashes with it.

So my opinion is if he has the profile planes and wants to step up. You really can't do better for the price than a 38" PP plane
Feb 10, 2019, 04:56 PM
I would like to have a Twisted Hobby Laser Pro and a 48" I think is the size Demonstrator Edge from 3dhs
Feb 10, 2019, 09:04 PM
Old's Cool
Quote:
48" I think is the size Demonstrator Edge from 3dhs
48" Demonstrator was discontinued last year. I think the EF 48" Edge is a better plane. Had a Demonstrator and currently have the EF plane.

Quick Reply