Mar 04, 2019, 05:39 AM
Thread OP
Receiver on it's way.I replaced the ageing eneloop tx packs with 9.9v life packs.Hopefully they'll be fine. I'm thinking of adding a couple of end pin Nanos to the order.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2019, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Yeah, I have heard stories for years how the TattleTale has saved aircraft. It even saved one of our turbine aircraft one day that exposed an issue with a Deans Ultra connector. The issue with using the eneloop in a transmitter is when they get low the voltage swings wildly due to the current draw that occurs every frame that is transmitted. You start getting an oscillation and this typically causes increased current draw from the transmitter as its voltage regulation system is trying to cope with the changing voltage. You end up with a situation that kills the battery much faster than normal once they reach that point. You are better off with old school AA dry cells.

We have only a handful of TattleTale's left in inventory. It is being replaced by a brand new product called "ProConverter". This new product offers a ton of features besides just low voltage monitoring like the TattleTale. It has connectors at each end.. two at one end and one at the other. I will convert serial protocols - any serial protocol to any serial protocol. So, you can go from Spektrum to SBUS, JETI to PPM, etc. Whatever you want to do, you can do it (including inverted polarity SBUS required for some flight controllers). Also, you can plug two serial receivers into it to give ANY system receiver redundancy! This is huge for people flying with the standard flight controllers out there, with most offering just a single serial receiver input. You can change the voltage for Spektrum satellites too. There is the ability to use the unit to slow a servo down, or reverse it. It really has a lot of different things that it can do. It can be programmed through the push button and dual LEDs or through the SerialLink. It's .6" x .9"x.2", and it weighs 2.5 grams making it ideal for multirotors, helicopters, and anything else.
Brilliant.....Bring it on! .....
Mar 13, 2019, 10:43 PM
We got your 8 channel receiver back today. It connects to the XDP, dumps the EEPROM, etc. without any issues. I personally tested this many dozens of times.

One thing I did notice is that it was bound to a transmitter module that was set for hopping mode 1. I added the other hopping modes in 2008 and you should be using hopping mode 4 for Australia. This will increase your range quite a bit.

The XDP uses the old hopping mode 1, which your receiver was set to (through the binding process) so that is not the issue you were seeing. The only thing I can guess is that you had your transmitter turned on while trying to access the receiver with the XDP program.

I will range test it tomorrow, but I do not expect any issues.
Mar 16, 2019, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Transmitter not turned on.
Hoping mode full time (FCC) as shown for rf module.
Wouldnt have wasted my money sending a working receiver back!
I was prepared to do a video proving my findings although you didnt want it when asked.Wish i did now to prove what i found.
All other receivers under same conditions connected just fine to xdp as previously stated many times after all removed from sealed packaging after return from firmware update,
Except the faulty receiver you have which was faulty straight out of the sealed package upon return .
I wondered why you sent the two end pin nanos i ordered separately to the faulty 8 pin receiver and why the repair order said waiting on customer even after tracking showed you had the receiver till i looked here.Good thing i did as there was no communication via email or otherwise which were given on repair and purchase orders!
Last edited by Craig 01; Mar 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Mar 16, 2019, 01:21 AM
The receiver was definitely bound in hopping mode 1. This is easy to determine by applying power to the receiver and looking at the LED. If the receiver was bound with hopping mode 1 it will be solid red on power up for 3 seconds before it starts flashing. If it was bound with any other hopping mode the reciever immediately starts flashing red when power is applied. It could be that you did a reset before you returned it. That puts the hopping mode to default of 1.

I did not try plugging power in backwards, as that was not necessary for use with the XDP. I am not sure what to think. I opened it and there is nothing inside of the case (dirt can cause odd issues because dirt has iron in it and is conductive). The range test is completely normal. I even placed it on a power supply for 24 hours to see if this was heat related.

I will continue to test it over the weekend but I really don't expect it to fail.
Mar 17, 2019, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
What voltage are you testing at?
Mar 18, 2019, 12:46 PM
We use a dedicated 5v power supply for testing. I also tested the receiver with a 6.6v A123 pack and got the same results. It was crummy weather over the weekend, so I will get to do a long range test today.

By the way, you might notice that if you plug the power in backwards to the B/T port it flashes orange/red as a warning. This doesn't happen if you also hold the programming button down before applying power though.
Mar 18, 2019, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
The problem as noted in previous comments and on the repair order is when using a 4.8 volt pack with voltage below 4.9.Anything above the receiver will connect to xdp and upload/download from eeprom just fine.You say it should work down to 2v no load which it doesn't.All other receivers work fine with xdp under identical conditions to the faulty receiver as noted in the discussions prior to returning the faulty receiver!
Mar 18, 2019, 09:42 PM
I will try it below 5v, but technically you better have more than 5 volts if you expect to use the receiver with servos plugged into it!
Mar 18, 2019, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Obviously!
The receiver you have that i returned is the only one of all that exhibit the problem so there is obviously a fault with it!
Mar 19, 2019, 02:09 AM
My point is that a '4.8v' pack would be a "dead" pack at anything less than 5 volts. A charged 4 cell NiCd or Nimh pack will be well over 5 volts. 4.8 volts is the discharged voltage. Much like you see a 2 cell Lipo pack called a '7.4v' pack. That is the discharged voltage. So, if you see less than 5v out of a 4 cell NiCd or Nimh pack then it can hold current sufficient enough to be used. Eneloops are even worse.

So far this receiver has performed flawlessly in every test. I will try low voltage in the morning.
Mar 20, 2019, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
The problem the whole time was found to be due to not operating with Xdp on a 4 cell pack with no external load on the receiver unless straight off the charger where the rest of the receivers worked just fine under the identical conditions .As it is the only one that exhibits the problem there is obviously an internal fault wether high resistance in the power bus,high current draw on the power bus or faulty components.Whatever is causing it doesnt matter.It is faulty as you stated it should work down to 2v with no servo load with Xdp.
Mar 20, 2019, 10:48 AM
The receiver works fine down to 2.1 volts and any voltage in between 2.1v and 6.6v.

I am not sure what to think. This receiver has absolutely no problems, and passes all of our tests.
Mar 20, 2019, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
The receiver works fine down to 2.1 volts and any voltage in between 2.1v and 6.6v.

I am not sure what to think. This receiver has absolutely no problems, and passes all of our tests.
Jim,

I think that the only way you're going to satisfy Craig is to send him a new receiver as you've already made the offer......keep his for resale or as a spare.

Just my opinion.......
Mar 20, 2019, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
As i said earlier,I wish i had taken a video to prove what was happening.I sure as hell wouldnt have sent a perfectly good receiver back at my expense,or have spent all the time i had screwing with it!

Quick Reply