Mar 01, 2019, 08:46 AM
Thread OP
Yes,the receiver is flashable.
As mentioned earlier and above in this thread i noticed it is voltage dependant.
Jim stated it will operate down to 2v without servo current draw.
I connected the fully charged 4.8v eneloop and its hit or miss with being seen by Xdp
Connect a fully charged 6v pack and it finally connects to Xdp repeatably and can update eeprom and can flash via updater v5.8 to version 3.9.
Next question is,
Why is it not able to operate on lower voltage,
ie,4.8 v pack?
Last edited by Craig 01; Mar 01, 2019 at 09:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2019, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 01
Just let me know where and what you need and written to refresh you that it's the one we've been discussing and trying to sort.
See here:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...prod=XPSREPAIR

The voltage won't matter. These receivers operate down to 2.1 volts. Current will matter though, and the eneloop batteries are the absolute worst choice of battery you could ever use, so this would not surprise me.
Mar 01, 2019, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
Thats without servos connected,so no current draw apart from the receiver itself as stated previously in the thread,all other receivers ,8 channel,10 channel,Sail plane,Nano and Park flier work perfectly under the identical condition,same eneloop battery pack!
As mentioned previously,
This particular receiver has a problem.
Why is this receiver ,the only receiver of all returned from firmware upgrade and not been used prior to being removed from platic bag seal recently,displaying/suffering this problem?
Last edited by Craig 01; Mar 01, 2019 at 08:43 PM.
Mar 01, 2019, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Thats without servos connected,so no current draw apart from the receiver itself as stated previously in the thread,all other receivers ,8 channel,10 channel,Sail plane,Nano and Park flier work perfectly under the identical condition,same eneloop battery pack!
As mentioned previously,
This particular receiver has a problem.
Why is this receiver ,the only receiver of all returned from firmware upgrade and not been used prior to being removed from platic bag seal recently,displaying/suffering this problem?
Do yourself a favor and get your receiver replaced while you can .....

Despite what Jim says , the oneloop batteries are the best in the industry and trusted by most ....

Get a replacement receiver and be done with it .....
Mar 02, 2019, 12:57 AM
Technically, the end-of-life cycle for the 8 and 10 channel receivers ended last year (see notification thread in this forum), but I will replace your receiver. Unless the device does not have a flashable CPU, we just use our firmware updater software through a XDP to do the update. It's a lot easier than having to take a receiver apart and program it on one of our machines. So, if that receiver has the latest firmware (which you can check using the XDP with the power plugged in backwards since that works for you) then it was programmed via an XDP here. I would like to see the issue myself, if we can duplicate it here.

NOBODY in their right minds uses Eneloop batteries in the UAV world (or R/C)! They have EXTREMELY poor current handling capabilities. If you use them, you are asking for a problem! I have lots of horror stories about these cells until we finally got the industry turned around so people don't use them. I don't even trust them in a transmitter.
Last edited by JimDrew; Mar 02, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
Mar 02, 2019, 03:57 AM
Thread OP
No,i dont use the eneloop for flight with xps.
As stated to you earlier all receivers pulled out of storage after received back from firmware upgrade.I found through my own testing the receiver in question has a problem with being seen via Xdp on a 4 cell nimh pack correct battery polarity in any other port other than B/T as advised..It connects fine to Xdp on a 5 cell pack correct polarity.I updated the firmware to 3.9 on the 5 cell pack.
After updating firmware as stated in previous post/s,the receiver still has the same fault.
I was interested to know why this receiver required higher voltage than a 4 cell pack,no servo connected to be functional with Xdp and updater.
I will send the faulty receiver back,my bad for not testing it when first received to find it faulty upon its return after upgrade.
Last edited by Craig 01; Mar 02, 2019 at 04:12 AM.
Mar 03, 2019, 07:42 AM
I only use them for the transmitters ....... they have worked very well over the years ....
Mar 03, 2019, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Yes,i used eneloop in my transmitters as well.
I never had a problem with 4 cell eneloops as a flight pack on basic 4-5 servo setups using 36 mhz receivers either.
Mar 03, 2019, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Have paid for the repair/replacement-return postage and will send the receiver off shortly.
Mar 03, 2019, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Yes,i used eneloop in my transmitters as well.
I never had a problem with 4 cell eneloops as a flight pack on basic 4-5 servo setups using 36 mhz receivers either.

::shaking head::

That's asking for a disaster. It's not enough current capability for the servos. Graupner wanted people to use 4 cell Nicd setups too, even telling their (our) customers to simply ignore or put tape over top of our receiver's LED so they didn't have to see the low voltage warning indicator.

Consider that a single tiny HS-55 servo draws .75A when stalled and nearly double that during a direction change. If you do a snap manuever with 4 servos you can easily pull 5A+, which is more than eneloops and most Nicd/Nimh packs will deliver. It's also why 3A BEC's built into speed controllers won't work either. Now, step up the amp draw to what a full size servo needs and you can easily see why 4 cell Nimh/Nicd packs and BEC's should never be used.
Last edited by JimDrew; Mar 03, 2019 at 10:11 PM.
Mar 03, 2019, 02:29 PM
Itís simply amazing how we ďgot away with it ď for all those years !!!! LOL !!

And continue to do so ....

Last edited by JuanRodriguez; Mar 03, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
Mar 03, 2019, 07:50 PM
Living the dream
I have used an Eneloop pack in my JR 11X transmitter for years with no issues. I was once told the transmitter does not get voltage increases like receiver packs. Don't know if that is true on not but I have not had any issues.

I use to use the 4 cell and 5 cell 2000mah Eneloop packs for my receivers. But when I switched to using XPS receivers I was having issues with brown outs. I found this out by using the TattleTale. I have switched over all my planes except for 1 to A123 packs. No issues at all since the switch.

The 1 plane that still has an Eneloop 5 cell 2000mah pack in it is because an A123 cell pack will just not fit. That plane has 5 analog Spektrum servos and using the Tattle Tale on it, it have never shown a brown out.

However, as a test (on the ground), I changed out the 6 volt 2000mah eneloop pack to a 4.8v 2000mah eneloop pack. Same 5 servos and the TattleTale. As soon as I moved the sticks the TattleTale was showing a brown out. This was even at full charge on the pack and of course it got worse the longer it was on.

As for getting away with it for years I am not sure we were. I think we had the brown out problems but either we did not know it or we attributed it to being "hit". One day a buddy and I were the only ones flying at the field. His plane was on 72 MHz and had a 6 volt NiCad pack with a regulator along with 4 analog servos. He constantly complained about getting hit when his plane was making turns at both ends of the field. I asked him about his battery and when he told me he what he had in it I told him to remove the regulator. Once he did no more problems. It went away. I have convinced him to switch to A123 packs on all his planes.

I have 2 videos showing my test on my Mid-Star. One with a 6 volt 2000mah Eneloop and a second one with the 4.8 volt Eneloop pack. If you are interested in seeing them, PM me your email address and I will send them to you. It will be in 2 emails. I tried to upload them here but it will not let me.

A123's are the way to go...
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Mar 03, 2019, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemax
I have used an Eneloop pack in my JR 11X transmitter for years with no issues. I was once told the transmitter does not get voltage increases like receiver packs. Don't know if that is true on not but I have not had any issues.

I use to use the 4 cell and 5 cell 2000mah Eneloop packs for my receivers. But when I switched to using XPS receivers I was having issues with brown outs. I found this out by using the TattleTale. I have switched over all my planes except for 1 to A123 packs. No issues at all since the switch.

The 1 plane that still has an Eneloop 5 cell 2000mah pack in it is because an A123 cell pack will just not fit. That plane has 5 analog Spektrum servos and using the Tattle Tale on it, it have never shown a brown out.

However, as a test (on the ground), I changed out the 6 volt 2000mah eneloop pack to a 4.8v 2000mah eneloop pack. Same 5 servos and the TattleTale. As soon as I moved the sticks the TattleTale was showing a brown out. This was even at full charge on the pack and of course it got worse the longer it was on.

As for getting away with it for years I am not sure we were. I think we had the brown out problems but either we did not know it or we attributed it to being "hit". One day a buddy and I were the only ones flying at the field. His plane was on 72 MHz and had a 6 volt NiCad pack with a regulator along with 4 analog servos. He constantly complained about getting hit when his plane was making turns at both ends of the field. I asked him about his battery and when he told me he what he had in it I told him to remove the regulator. Once he did no more problems. It went away. I have convinced him to switch to A123 packs on all his planes.

I have 2 videos showing my test on my Mid-Star. One with a 6 volt 2000mah Eneloop and a second one with the 4.8 volt Eneloop pack. If you are interested in seeing them, PM me your email address and I will send them to you. It will be in 2 emails. I tried to upload them here but it will not let me.

A123's are the way to go...
What He Said! .......^^^^^^^
Mar 03, 2019, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez
Itís simply amazing how we ďgot away with it ď for all those years !!!! LOL !!

And continue to do so ....

"Getting Away With It" is a totally different argument than "Being A Smart Idea" .......
Mar 03, 2019, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I have heard stories for years how the TattleTale has saved aircraft. It even saved one of our turbine aircraft one day that exposed an issue with a Deans Ultra connector. The issue with using the eneloop in a transmitter is when they get low the voltage swings wildly due to the current draw that occurs every frame that is transmitted. You start getting an oscillation and this typically causes increased current draw from the transmitter as its voltage regulation system is trying to cope with the changing voltage. You end up with a situation that kills the battery much faster than normal once they reach that point. You are better off with old school AA dry cells.

We have only a handful of TattleTale's left in inventory. It is being replaced by a brand new product called "ProConverter". This new product offers a ton of features besides just low voltage monitoring like the TattleTale. It has connectors at each end.. two at one end and one at the other. I will convert serial protocols - any serial protocol to any serial protocol. So, you can go from Spektrum to SBUS, JETI to PPM, etc. Whatever you want to do, you can do it (including inverted polarity SBUS required for some flight controllers). Also, you can plug two serial receivers into it to give ANY system receiver redundancy! This is huge for people flying with the standard flight controllers out there, with most offering just a single serial receiver input. You can change the voltage for Spektrum satellites too. There is the ability to use the unit to slow a servo down, or reverse it. It really has a lot of different things that it can do. It can be programmed through the push button and dual LEDs or through the SerialLink. It's .6" x .9"x.2", and it weighs 2.5 grams making it ideal for multirotors, helicopters, and anything else.
Last edited by JimDrew; Mar 03, 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply