Feb 08, 2019, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Skybench Aerotech Update

Greetings:

With the passing of Ray Hayes, there has been some concerns among customers and supporters as to the ultimate future of both Skybench Aerotech as a whole business and with regards to pending personal orders in particular.

The Hayes family has indicated a desire to see Ray's legacy, as embodied in the Skybench Aerotech business and brand, to continue as a tribute to all that Ray has accomplished in the model aviation field, both professionally and personally.

To that end, members of the LOFT soaring club in Fort Wayne, Indiana, several of whom have previously helped at various times in putting together kits for Ray, have agreed to help sort through both the business and personal side of Ray's operation in order to help the family obtain the best inventory and valuation of the model airplane side of the estate. We will also be including the prospective new owners as part of this effort. Hopefully, we will be able to provide the family and prospective new owners with the information they need to negotiate the best transition plan.

As the process proceeds, we will provide further updates, especially with regards to outstanding orders and what options customers will have. As there will likely be probate issues involved to some extent, this may take some time to straighten out. We ask that you please be patient as we work through this transitional process to keep Skybench Aerotech and Ray's Woodies around for a long time to come!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2019, 09:58 PM
Rectal cancer survivor
Great news!! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible (especially for Ray's family) to a positive outcome for all concerned, and for future customers. Me being one of them.
Feb 09, 2019, 12:49 PM
Glad to hear there is a chance these kits and Ray's legacy will continue.
Feb 09, 2019, 01:19 PM
Thats great news! I have several of Ray’s kits,some built some still in kits, always wanted more. Hope this happens, Ray was indeed a great man and a wealth of knowledge, he will be missed.
Feb 09, 2019, 05:04 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin
Greetings:

With the passing of Ray Hayes, there has been some concerns among customers and supporters as to the ultimate future of both Skybench Aerotech as a whole business and with regards to pending personal orders in particular.

The Hayes family has indicated a desire to see Ray's legacy, as embodied in the Skybench Aerotech business and brand, to continue as a tribute to all that Ray has accomplished in the model aviation field, both professionally and personally.

To that end, members of the LOFT soaring club in Fort Wayne, Indiana, several of whom have previously helped at various times in putting together kits for Ray, have agreed to help sort through both the business and personal side of Ray's operation in order to help the family obtain the best inventory and valuation of the model airplane side of the estate. We will also be including the prospective new owners as part of this effort. Hopefully, we will be able to provide the family and prospective new owners with the information they need to negotiate the best transition plan.

As the process proceeds, we will provide further updates, especially with regards to outstanding orders and what options customers will have. As there will likely be probate issues involved to some extent, this may take some time to straighten out. We ask that you please be patient as we work through this transitional process to keep Skybench Aerotech and Ray's Woodies around for a long time to come!
It is encouraging to hear that well-deserved attention to Ray's legacy is being paid. I look forward to a beneficial outcome for all those interested in preserving the Skybench product line for current and future Woody builders.

Kind regards,

Stan Hinman
Feb 09, 2019, 06:57 PM
Balsa breaks better
"Woodys Forever" - Balsa Breaks Better

First part is my Dad - Second part is me ;>)

Thank You Darwin and the rest of the guys from LOFT that are helping out.

Joe
Feb 10, 2019, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler
"Woodys Forever" - Balsa Breaks Better

First part is my Dad - Second part is me ;>)

Thank You Darwin and the rest of the guys from LOFT that are helping out.

Joe
I'm sure that I speak for the others in LOFT when I say that we wish we could do more.

At this point, all we can do is help sort, inventory, and put a value to things so that informed decisions can be made. If required, several of our guys can pitch in to help pack kits, but that's a later thing and only if requested.

I really wish that I had gotten to see Ray one last time before he passed. I had a bunch of hawk, crane, and other pictures I wanted to show him from our new property.

Regards,

Darwin
Feb 10, 2019, 10:35 AM
PM sent for details on existing customers with paid orders. I am saddened to hear of Ray's passing, what a legacy. I had ordered a couple of the Bird series last fall when he began accepting orders again and was looking forward to them as my winter projects.
Feb 10, 2019, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeedrive
PM sent for details on existing customers with paid orders. I am saddened to hear of Ray's passing, what a legacy. I had ordered a couple of the Bird series last fall when he began accepting orders again and was looking forward to them as my winter projects.
This PM has been answered.

For reference, I am keeping a log of all parties who contact me with regards to pending orders or business concerns. This information will be shared with the family and prospective owners for review and actions after we have assessed the state of affairs of Ray's business records.

Regards,

Darwin Garrison
Feb 10, 2019, 08:25 PM
who has rabbit ears down
I was asked by Ray for a rib laser setup, but I had really goofed things up for (us) I'd like to offer my assistances in the CAD works also.
Latest blog entry: My "Kubiak" Collection
Feb 11, 2019, 01:56 AM
So glad to hear Ray's beloved club LOFT is helping the family out. At our age most of us have lost friends and fellow club members. A club is frequently of great help to the families.
Wish I were closer so I could help. And thanks to the LOFT guys from all of us.
OzMo
Feb 11, 2019, 11:42 AM
So sad for the family. Was just getting ready to order my first kit from him (1.5M Osprey) when hearing the news. Look forward to hearing how things develop.
Mar 01, 2019, 11:35 AM
Is there any new information available on the status of Skybench or options / contact information for customers with paid orders?
Mar 02, 2019, 10:08 AM
I received an email from Ray's daughter yesterday indicating that they are still in the process of inspecting all in process kits and inventory. Sad that both of his children knew nothing about his business so it's a learning process and they are contacting all individuals with orders.
Mar 06, 2019, 08:55 AM
Forever Tinkering w/ Stuff
I contacted Ray's Daughter and she let me know they are sorting thru stuff and I may end up getting my Oly III kit. I sure hope so. I got a Big Bird in 2002 and it was a real pleasure to build. I still have it and it flies straight as an arrow.
It would be awesome if someone picked this business up and continued to offer kits.

Quick Reply