Feb 27, 2019, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
First real LRF I have every experienced. I've got more flight time in the last few days than in the previous 3 months - all of it indoors.

I have been switching back and forth between "Beginners Air Mode" and "Experienced Air Mode" and I think they are slightly mis-labeled. In Beginners Air Mode, you have the throttle on the left stick and the steering and elevator are combined on the right. I say steering because the instruction book calls it rudder and elevator combined on thw right stick in this mode and the turning effect is something like a flat rudder only turn in a real airplane. However, for me, I feel like I am flying aileron and elevator with this stick, just as I do when flying a larger 4 channel r/c model outdoors. The right stick on larger 4 channel airplanes (aileron/elevator) is my primary means of control and I use the left stick (rudder) primarily when landing or on the ground. In "Beginners Air Mode" on the Switch there is no effect when you use the left stick (rudder) control. In the Experienced Mode, the primary steering control switches over to the left stick (rudder) and there is an extra element of control on the right (aileron). If I move what would normally be the aileron, the Switch makes a flat sideways yawing movement in the direction indicated. This adds an extra element of control but it is of little use to me I feel like I am back in the old 2 stick control days. I'm steering with my left stick and the right is the elevator. If I'm going to be flying this thing a lot (and I am), I would rather be training myself to respond to controls that mimic my larger 4 channel R/C planes rather than going back to a style of control I left 35 years ago so I will probably favor the "Beginners Air Mode".

Gerry
I noticed what you are describing. I'll probably end up creating a mix for advanced mode which also increases throttle when turning to maintain throttle.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2019, 01:35 AM
I think I will probably end up using both modes. I prefer the "Beginners" Mode cause its what I'm used to, but the "Advanced" Mode will help me with my "Lazy Left Hand" I use the rudder so infrequently that I sometimes forget how to steer with it. I need more practice steering with the left to help me on landing approaches and steering on the ground. I just don't want to get too used to steering with the left hand.

I did try the Inductrix alone without the wing. It is very much a different animal. I was happy to go back to the Switch Air. I am a fixed wing pilot first. At one point the little velcro tabs holding the front of the Inductrix let go and the Inductrix went screaming toward the ceiling dragging the hapless wing behind it. That was startling.

Gerry
Feb 27, 2019, 03:43 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
I think I will probably end up using both modes. I prefer the "Beginners" Mode cause its what I'm used to, but the "Advanced" Mode will help me with my "Lazy Left Hand" I use the rudder so infrequently that I sometimes forget how to steer with it. I need more practice steering with the left to help me on landing approaches and steering on the ground. I just don't want to get too used to steering with the left hand.

I did try the Inductrix alone without the wing. It is very much a different animal. I was happy to go back to the Switch Air. I am a fixed wing pilot first. At one point the little velcro tabs holding the front of the Inductrix let go and the Inductrix went screaming toward the ceiling dragging the hapless wing behind it. That was startling.

Gerry
lol...
I am glad that you mentioned it, I didn't check and didn't know the front was held by these two tiny strips of velcro. I made sure it is attached well.
Thanks!

As an aside, all this talk got me curious at the Hover mode and I looked at the online manual for the Inductrix Switch, since that product is only available as a RTR, it is completely devoid of any instruction as how to setup with a computerized transmitter. Only thing I learned is to push the sticks INWARD either up or down depending on the preference of ONE STICK or TWO STICKS operation.
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Feb 27, 2019, 07:27 AM
Blue Skies

Connector confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdffdsa
That connector has a few names. I've seen them called "Micro JST," "Micro JST 1.25," "Molex 1.25", "Molex Picoblade", I'm sure there are other names too.

Here's link to a sight that sells them as Micro JST:
https://www.tinywhoop.com/collection...for-tiny-whoop

The e-flite 150mah/25C are nice and small/light. I have many 260mah for my tinywhoops, but they have the bigger JST 2.0 connector.

Since this has a wing, for now I'm going to try to keep mine as light as I can. I might experiment with it later and put one of my other flight controllers with JST 2.0 connector on it, but I haven't tried it yet.
I think there are 3 of the little white connectors you could use with this Switch Air. I haven't bought one yet b/c I'm still wanting to know if the PCB/Rx board can handle the higher current if I swap out the leads for one of the other 2 possible white conns.

As you wrote, the stock conn is the 1.25mm pitch conn (MOLEX Picoblade), and may be the cause of short flt times some see. In some cases the conn may overheat and you lose the power to heat rather than flt time. I'm basing that on the YT video someone here or on a HH review of the Inductrix linked. The low flt time is dependent on the quality of the connection to your battery. Poor or loose connections mean heat and low flt times.

The High-Current UM connector is the one you linked to and HH sells batts with those 2.0mm pitch conns. HERE are some of the ones HH carries. They call them UMX batteries. That's confusing to me b/c I associate UMX with the UMX BNF planes that normally use the UMX conn with a 2S LiPo. Maybe it's the same conn, but in a 3-wire configuration rather than the 2-wire the Switch Air uses.

The other possible little white conn is the MOLEX 2mm 2P (aka LOSI) conn. Like the HC UM conn, the pitch is 2.0mm. I have half a dozen of these but they haven't held up well. Mine are from BG and I'm lucky to get more than a min flt time with them. I think it's more due to the brand rather than the conn.

But if you wanted to use a batt you already own with the little red JST conn, I don't see why it wouldn't work too.
Don
Feb 27, 2019, 10:17 AM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
Got mine 2 hours ago. I bound the TX and the Rx, assigned channel 5 to switch B and Aux1 to "I" and reversed the channel.
No problem whatsoever, press the "I" to arm and disarm.
Initial impression:
The aircraft is shipped in Air mode. I don't like beginner Air Mode as it does not have yaw on the left stick like other quads or heli. Using the right aileron to turn the aircraft is ungainly, it banks but I never know when the thing will eventually turn around, lol....
However, both Intermediate and Experienced Air Mode allows the use of left stick to give "YAW" input and I am liking it. I prefer to set it in Air mode/Experienced level ( position2 on the ch. 5 B switch) . That is because I feel on my unit, at least, when Air mode is in the Intermediate level, the on board electronics give slight bias towards forward flight and due to the restriction inside the room I have to use the elevator stick to "pull back" ( slow down) the aircraft. Interestingly enough if i flip the "B" switch to Experienced lever ( position2) , the aircraft does not fly forward so eagerly, I have more control with my right elevator stick. I don't know if this is the case with other examples of this product.
I did not like flying in Quad mode as I think the gyro gains are set differently. If I maneuver the aircraft and there is some winds/currents generated under the wings, it affects the gyros and thus making the wings tip left and right. I think the quad mode is best to use when one takes off the wings and flies the Inductrix like a regular quad.
Inside my house i am very happy with Air mode set to Experience level.

In conclusion, I think this is a fun product for the days one is confined to inside, I am currently under medical treatment and not always have the energy to go out and fly, so this is perfect for me.
I hope later shipment of this product would be supplemented with a better instruction and /or an addendum.
Thanks for the detailed report RC!!!

Looking forward to my maiden, hoping today when I get home

Like most I picked her up for a “dedicated” LRF ‘cause I was never able to find that “perfect” indoor cruiser for me but glad to hear everyone is having a good time with her....... once you get your Tx programmed correctly, LOL.

I’ll use my DX9.

Have fun flying guyz & thanks to everyone else taking the time to give detailed flight reviews as well as video!!

Coconut
Feb 27, 2019, 10:45 AM
I finally got the mode switch figured out last night and it is interesting to have a three position switch on it. In basic, hovering, if you move the aileron it yaws left and right. in 2 it tips the wings and in 3 it acts like any 4 channel plane. Charging a bunch of batteries now to play in the living room. I am gonna play with this "rudder" mode. I've had a bunch of fun with that little Asx controlled Cub that will fly all day on rudder and throttle inputs in beginner mode. might be fun for the grandkids inside this weekend while it's still under 20 outside, icy and very little snow to play with.
Feb 27, 2019, 10:56 AM
Not sure people know the the proper name of the "Power whoop" upgrade battery connector that now commonly replaces the 1.25mm milex pico connector.

It is JST-PH 2.0 2-pin connector. there is an example in the link below. lots of new 1s HV batteries are being sold with the male connector, so all that would be needed to upgrade is a female pig tail to replace the factory connector pigtail.
https://www.amazon.com/JST-PH-Female.../dp/B072B66P5C

FYI the JST-PH 2.0 3-pin is the connector that HH uses on its UMX 2 cell batteries.
Feb 27, 2019, 11:07 AM
Is there a way to put the Switch Air in wing mode in Agility mode without any self leveling.
Feb 27, 2019, 12:00 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis

DX6i will be used with the switch air

Just got mine a few minutes ago. I am going to use old reliable with this thing. DX6i I have a another DSM2 TX but will use ol trusty for this one.

I have owned and used the DX6i for over a decade.
Feb 27, 2019, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by motp4tj1
Is there a way to put the Switch Air in wing mode in Agility mode without any self leveling.
In Air Mode you cannot disable the self leveling, I think the only way to do this is to put it in Quad mode - AS3X mode, and it behaves a bit different. At slow speeds it does weird things with dropping wing tips and it just feels kind of funny, at higher speeds the wing is more in play. But you probably want more room that your typical living area to fly in.
Last edited by asdffdsa; Feb 27, 2019 at 01:02 PM.
Feb 27, 2019, 12:39 PM

Used a Mini Vapor TX to get started

I dug up a mini Vapor TX to use initially as I am impatient to fly my new bird. With this style TX its a no brainer lol. Here is what I figured out. Just make the DX6i emulated the Vapor TX. This should apply to any DSM TX you want to use.

Had no trouble binding to the DX6i using the standard bind switch. The mode change well I did not get that far as I remembered I had a mini vapor TX and used that for now.

This thing is sweet! I used an old lipo and it did not last too long and was warm when I removed it. I got maybe 2 minutes time with the old lipo. This thing uses more juice that a Blade nano CPX as I can get 5 minutes out of that lipo in the heli but this is way easier to fly. I am using the mode that allows yaw on the throttle stick. I started with the other mode without yaw and did not like that mode too much. Ok charging some lipos now and will come back with more in a while.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
Feb 27, 2019, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Just got mine a few minutes ago. I am going to use old reliable with this thing. DX6i I have a another DSM2 TX but will use ol trusty for this one.

I have owned and used the DX6i for over a decade.
Could you show your mix settings to get 3 positions using 2 switches on channel 5? I have a dx6i for my son & am curious about the programming. I remember having to do this on his sport cub S to get 3 positions on channel 5, but don't remember how I did it. Maybe when I dig out his dx6i I'll be able to remember how I did it?!
Feb 27, 2019, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren
I just now got mine working! I reset the model and started over and we have lift off.

Step one - press and hold the scroll wheel and turn on your transmitter. This will put you in the "System Setup"menu. Find the "switch select" menu. Set all the switches to "Inh" and then set Trainer to Aux1 and Flap to Gear. Once done there go back and select "Main Screen" .

Step two - In the main screen, press the scroll wheel and enter "Function List". Enter "Servo Setup". Reverse Aux1 and leave all the rest normal.

To bind: plug in the flight battery and wait for the lights to start flashing rapidly, then turn on you transmitter while pressing he bind button. (It will still bind even with the switch setup above)

Hope that helps and thanks to the collective in making suggestions that helped get me set!
Thanks!
Feb 27, 2019, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
Could you show your mix settings to get 3 positions using 2 switches on channel 5? I have a dx6i for my son & am curious about the programming. I remember having to do this on his sport cub S to get 3 positions on channel 5, but don't remember how I did it. Maybe when I dig out his dx6i I'll be able to remember how I did it?!
Still have not got there yet but on page 6 in the middle of the page where it says BNF, the paragraph there explains it pretty good.

Meanwhile, I have been playing with the 3 modes. There is a mysterious 4th mode (purple) for quad operation but we will not get into that for now It is hard to see the color changes when looking down at this bird so how do you see the colors of the LED's? It easy, just send a text no just kidding flip it over and have a white sheet of paper under the leds and suddenly, you can see the different colors very clearly

I suggest you put a timer on your flights for no more than 3 minutes with the 150mah lipo. Repeated LVC hits will damage the lipo.

Ok I got about 10 flights in so far and I have to say this bird makes the the other LRF's in my collection seem clumsy and obsolete. The next best LRF I have is the mini vapor and it can not match this Switch Air bird except for ROG capability but I think gear can be added to the Switch Love this thing! This is the LRF we have wanted for years and is superior to any other flying LRF ever.

Hit command R (apple) or refresh (pc) to see the descriptions below if not present.
Last edited by modfly; Feb 27, 2019 at 05:24 PM.
Feb 27, 2019, 04:29 PM
I just bought a replacement wing for my Switch Air. When I looked yesterday I could not find this for sale and I wondered if Horizon would be selling them. A call to Horizon Product Support gave me the answer and a part number (BLH8301). Price was $19.99. I went back to the Horizon site today and did a search and there it was.

My Switch is a long way from needing a new wing, but I glued a couple fatigue cracks (between the battery cutout and the fan cutouts) and added some small pieces of tape to the leading edge where I could see creases. I have flown this little airplane more than any other airplane I have ever owned and am having a great time with it. It will be nice to know when the wing gives up the ghost, I will have a replacement ready for it.

I tried a 200 mah battery today. I could not see much difference in flight characteristics but the motors were noticeably louder and i suspect they were working hard. I need to respect those little brushed motors as the lifespan is not that great sometimes. It looks like replacement is simple as they just plug in, But I would like to keep them going as long as possible. I think I will stick to the 160s.

Gerry

Quick Reply