Jan 25, 2005, 07:02 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebola
Well, you see, I live in Brazil, and Carbon Fiber is not common , at this side of planet, can you inform where and how to buy this Carbon Fiber sheet.

Tks

Cebola
Brazil
Sierras online distributor will ship internationally, check them out here (they also have a lot of other neat stuff too ):

http://robotcombat.com/marketplace_carbonfiber.html
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2005, 03:37 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP

Progress report

Got the ribs attached. I have been rather busy with work lately, and havent had much time to spend working on the plane. It looks like the guitar case idea might just be possible. I stacked the panels with the ribs in place, and still came in under 4"

Jan 30, 2005, 10:52 PM
Peakaboo!
Hi Nihil,
I'm into some serious building too. My next plane is, roughly, a copy of the last one, except it's a twin boom pusher.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&page=24&pp=15

The blue circles represent water noodle sections, used as a bumper (in front) an to protect the Aiptek camera (on top).

By the way, I will also replace the rounded Wingo-like wing tips with some home made Wingrids, in order to obtain a surprise free behaviour on landing.

Here is a picture of the fuselage core:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...d=397951&stc=1
Untitled-1.jpg
Last edited by Gwelan; Jan 30, 2005 at 11:39 PM.
Jan 31, 2005, 12:34 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP
Looks good, how big are you going to make this one? I am starting to like the pink foam, I had about half a sheet of it get blown into my backyard recently, I figured it was a sign from god.
Jan 31, 2005, 12:35 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
nihil- I would be happy to beta test when you go commercial. P.
Jan 31, 2005, 12:43 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP
I hadnt really thought about kitting it, but if theres enough call for a collapsable AP plane I could see it. No more parts like those CF subframes are going to be made until I get a CNC router, or at minimum a scroll saw. The scissor technique left me with a huge blister/dead skin spot on my thumb that came off the other day. Now I have this adorable little festering wound
Jan 31, 2005, 07:41 AM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP
Got a little bit more done on the wing tonight.

Aileron servos are mounted:

Wire routing holes, aileron servo access cutouts, and magnets:

Another panicked test fit to make sure everything lines up:

The magnets work pretty well:

I am going to wire the aileron servos and the lights into single multipin connectors right at the wing joints to make assembly and disassembly easier. I dont think I would trust the magnets as contacts for the servos, and if im going to use a connector I may as well run all applicable wires through it. The magnets hold pretty good, I can shake the center panel pretty vigorously up and down with a wing panel attached below, and it doesnt fall off. If I do the same with all panels attached, and shake it from the top panel, the center panel and bottom panel fall off. I dont see it being a problem in flight unless I somehow end up with a roll rate in the 2 per second range.
Jan 31, 2005, 07:59 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Hey Nihil, I love your fridge doing the hover move... it's so close to the ground, what a mere inch or so? Very skilled.
Jan 31, 2005, 10:01 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
PLD- That's what I love about this fourm
Jan 31, 2005, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Hey Nihil, I love your fridge doing the hover move... it's so close to the ground, what a mere inch or so? Very skilled.
I wonder if he moved the water melon to the lower middle shelf for an aft CG!

Looking good nihil!

Matt
Jan 31, 2005, 12:08 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
nihil- where did you get the Kozmo com fridge mag I have one too. P.
Jan 31, 2005, 06:22 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan
nihil- where did you get the Kozmo com fridge mag I have one too. P.
Oh man, I personally am the only reason kozmo stayed around as long as it did. I ordered so much garbage from them, that they gave me a staff t-shirt, which I still have, still sealed in its original plastic bag. I threw out a whole box full of their post-it notes and probably a couple hundred magnets. I still have some of the bottle openers around here somewhere. I miss them
Jan 31, 2005, 06:28 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
I don’t even know what they did I just got the sticker at a dot com Christmas party in S.F. years ago! P.
Jan 31, 2005, 06:36 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Thread OP
Kozmo used to be a delivery service for pretty much everything. Food, movies, gadgets, etc.. I was living in chicago at the time (may satan cast the fires of hell upon that miserable city), and pretty much everything I needed to survive came from kozmo for about 6 months, then they went under.
Jan 31, 2005, 08:29 PM
Peakaboo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
Looks good, how big are you going to make this one? I am starting to like the pink foam, I had about half a sheet of it get blown into my backyard recently, I figured it was a sign from god.
The pink styrofoam has the best density/weight ratio for my projects. It's less brittle than the white foam, and lighter than the extruded foam.

-Wing chord is 9.5". (Same ugly wing but fitted with Wingrids)
-Overall wing surface will be still around 510 sq inch with Wingrids
-Typhoon15/13 and a 12/6 APC-E prop
-The V-tail is inverted in this twinboom version

I still have to find an accurate method to shape the 8 small wings for the Wingrids. The hot wire method is just not accurate enough for the job.
Last edited by Gwelan; Jan 31, 2005 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply