May 17, 2019, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Hello all,
I am planning to go to Middle Wallop this weekend and apart from the aero tow, fly my Tomboy Senior at the SAM 35 gathering. I hope the PAW 09 TBR gives the performance I want. However, I also wanted to fly my Tomboy Junior but the MP Jet .04 has given out on me. I think I have a piston/contra piston issue. Not sure why the failure, but it has.

I want to buy another one as it was good to run and gave ample power. As far as I can see the only option is to buy the classic version direct from MP JET in the Czech Republic using their web site. Question - are the company "easy" to deal with?

Richard.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2019, 01:54 PM
If it's nose heavy, you could always go for lighter batteries. That ought to get a couple of ounces out.

If you do end up removing some of the nose weight, you could remove even more by using one of those large brass prop nuts. I don't know if it's still true, but the AMA (US model airplane organization) used to require a spinner or an acorn style nut.

As far as moving the engine forward, would changing the front attachment of the plate to a countersunk screw help?

I don't know what kind of glue you used for the ballast, but I'd expect most glues would succumb to heat before wood does.

I'm sure it will still be a fun airplane even at the current weight, though., If I keep reading threads like this, maybe I will get around to restoring an old Viking I have. (Possibly built before I was born, and, in the case of a model airplane, that's saying something!)

Good luck this weekend.
May 17, 2019, 07:46 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA2017
Hello all,
I am planning to go to Middle Wallop this weekend and apart from the aero tow, fly my Tomboy Senior at the SAM 35 gathering. I hope the PAW 09 TBR gives the performance I want. However, I also wanted to fly my Tomboy Junior but the MP Jet .04 has given out on me. I think I have a piston/contra piston issue. Not sure why the failure, but it has.

I want to buy another one as it was good to run and gave ample power. As far as I can see the only option is to buy the classic version direct from MP JET in the Czech Republic using their web site. Question - are the company "easy" to deal with?

Richard.
You may run into difficulties-they're Czech and whilst they have an english option on their website-I'm not sure fluency in english extends to those people who actually work there.....more to the point, over the past decade or so they have moved heavily towards the electric and accessory side of the market-and their IC engine production has been reduced to about zero. As I understand it they will produce batches now and then-basically in response to an order...David Owen of course was one of their bigger customers and they would produce batches for him from time to time.

I have never heard of, or seen any reference as to how MP Jet are as regards customer support in terms of engine repairs.....

These days Icare RC seems to be the biggest stockist: http://www.icare-rc.com/diesel.htm#Letmo_MD-2.5 and they currently show the 040 Classic on special at $77US

ADDED IN EDIT: the url above is out of date, try: http://www.icare-icarus.com/
and specifically: http://www.icare-icarus.com/Diesel-G...ines_c_19.html even better they show a P/L unit in stock in the spares section

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Last edited by ffkiwi; May 18, 2019 at 12:51 AM. Reason: additional info added
May 20, 2019, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for the replies Lincoln and Chris.

Chris, I have emailed MP JET using their web site but have yet to receive a reply. Sometimes items shown on sites are not in stock.... If the problem persists, probably, then it will be Icare. Will keep you posted.

On a more positive note the Tomboy Senior climbed away really well on PAW 09 power. The 17cc tank gives enough capacity to enable a really good climb up to altitude. So that has worked well and I can now give more attention to trimming the plane and making the tail feathers easier to rig. The engine is also easy to operate and should get better with more run time.

No pictures I am afraid, too busy flying.

Richard.
May 28, 2019, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Hello Chris,

I have successfully ordered and received a new MPJET 040 from the company itself using their English language web site. Emailed them first thing Monday to ask if the engine was in stock and received an affirmative reply on Tuesday following which I ordered on line. Engine received Saturday morning.

Garden work has delayed running in until late this afternoon when I was able to get it going for the first time. It will soon be bolted into the Tomboy Junior.

Richard.
May 28, 2019, 05:46 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA2017
Hello Chris,

I have successfully ordered and received a new MPJET 040 from the company itself using their English language web site. Emailed them first thing Monday to ask if the engine was in stock and received an affirmative reply on Tuesday following which I ordered on line. Engine received Saturday morning.

Garden work has delayed running in until late this afternoon when I was able to get it going for the first time. It will soon be bolted into the Tomboy Junior.

Richard.
take care with the running in process and you should be rewarded with a long useful life. Does it feel quite tight when turned over slowly with a prop on? Traditionally these engines have been set up quite tight from new -not ABC 'squeak tight' over top dead centre-but quite tight by ferrous P/L fit standards-in the interests of a reasonably long life-which ought to be typical if run on the normal prop sizes and at the generally used rpm band of about 7000-8000 rpm...my oldest example must be closing in on the 30 year old mark-it would have been obtained new about 1991 or 92....and still in good running order.. this sort of factory fitting though implies the user gives the engine a slow careful running in period using the traditional approach-short runs, low revs, rich and allowing to cool down between runs.... fortunately the engine setup with the integral tank lends itself to this approach quite nicely..

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
May 29, 2019, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the post. Yes. I am running the motor in using short run periods from the "integral" tank with the needle on the rich side. I have not yet run the motor flat out on its 7x4 prop - a few more tankfulls to go yet. The motor was very tight at top dead centre when I first turned it over but now feels OK. Starting is also pretty instantaneous now.

A few pics for flavour. It has been so much fun I feel like ordering a spare!

Richard.

Quick Reply