Originally Posted by speedy01
You have learned well!!

Gene K
here here
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2019, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Thank you!
As i do not have a lot of experience with making dummy frames of windshields i have made a test copy to try the alu tape i bought at the shop for archicture students. It has a paper base so it can be cut easily even into very small details and looks scale from the inside of the canopy; also, once sanded it can be painted and the paint adheres nicely.
It was also time to finish the rudder, and there i did not dare to paint the red stripes (i tried it on another model and almost had a hart attack while removing the masking tapes ...) and just used painted decal sheet. The result is not that good but its much, much safer at least with my skills.
Cheers,
M
Apr 23, 2019, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Hi,
The rudder finally got its colours and the windshield got glued in place. A bit more of Buffalo shape but not there yet. The rear part of canopy looks easy to make but without molding its quite an exercise. Next pics hopefully in couple of days.
Cheers,
M
Apr 23, 2019, 12:59 PM
Beautiful. What is the weight so far?

Gene K
Apr 23, 2019, 01:25 PM
hdowding
As Gene says, that is really nice work. Wish I had your skill.

Harvey
Apr 23, 2019, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
Thank you!
Present weight seems to be slightly below 90 grams (with the motor and 2 servos), so no chance of auw below 100 g . Well, i still have hope to fly it one day.
Cheers,
M
Apr 23, 2019, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal4x4
Thank you!
Present weight seems to be slightly below 90 grams (with the motor and 2 servos), so no chance of auw below 100 g .
That's a scale feature; the real one was overweight too!
Apr 28, 2019, 03:35 AM
I Hate Orange Props
It should still fly fine; I had a 18” Guillows typhoon that flew at 130 grams, with a 9 gram motor.
What size battery do you intend to use?
May 10, 2019, 10:47 AM
Thread OP

Final retracts version

Hi,
Thanks for all replies!:
Ive been out for several days hence no news, but now the built is up at full speed
Firstly, im really happy to report that the final (i hope) version of the retracts work!
I have not shown the details of the prototype retracts on this forum as it was a really make shift test bed for my very first design. Now, as it proved to work fine (with only 2 provisional pins instead of dozens in the first version ) i post the pictures of retracting mechanism. While the basic setup is fairly evident on the photos id like to mention that the real key for this mechanism to lock and unlock is based on:
1.small magnets that are located near the axis of the side arms of the gear - they pull these arms to full extended and thus locked position,
2.thread that pulls the side arms is attached to the servo arm most distant point to ensure that side leg of the gear is pulled up (ie unlocked) a moment before this servo arm starts pushing the main gear leg pushrod.
3. small but important - the hole drilled in the servo arm that houses the main leg pushrod has much bigger diameter than the pushrod's end (so the pushrod fit is very loose in thecservo arm); this arrangement allows again to synchronise the gear closing so that push of the maing leg by the servo is delayed in relation to pulling the side gear arms, and thus ensures smooth unlocking.

The short video will follow.
Cheers,
M

Ps. I have not decided on the battery yet but i think ill use the small 2s (i think its 14 grams or so) ill try to find it and ill post the pic.
May 10, 2019, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Here's the video:
Brewster Buffalo micro retracts final version (0 min 23 sec)
May 10, 2019, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Here's the video:
Wow. That's amazing.
May 14, 2019, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Here's the video:
http://youtu.be/wYZ91RRDMgQ
Those are incredible!! Awesome work!!!!
May 19, 2019, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Thank you guys!
Next are the wheels made of soft balsa and ply( those awfull dummy foam wheels i used to test the gear bays etc may finally be scrapped! ). Now, i try to make a decent gear legs which proves to be very time consuming as each part needs to be dry fitted first then tested in retracting process (gear legs fit is very tight in the bays i made, now i know it is a bit too tight! )
Anyway, i hope i will finish the landing gear this week!
Cheers,
M
Ps the first pictures (from the net) show my goal (more or less)
May 24, 2019, 01:36 PM
Thread OP

On its own wheels ...

Main gear legs and wheels are ready, just need some final paint touch and a bit of alufoil to imitate the oleos. So, next come the ailerons powering and the wings may be covered with tissue.
Have a nice weekend!
Cheers,
M
Aug 28, 2019, 02:43 PM
Thread OP

Construction continues...:)

Hi,
It's been quite a bit of break so its high time to get back to the built
Ive tried to get the ailerons installed but as their powering mechanism is very fragile ( even a drop of dope colud harm their torsion mechanism) i decided that i need to dope and paint most of the wings first and install them just before mounting the wings to the fuse.
In the meantime i made the main part of the belly, leaving the most difficult part of its skin (ie around the wheels) for later.
Cheers,
M

Quick Reply