Mar 04, 2019, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal4x4
I made my own rudder hinges, but the tails will be hinged in traditional way ie on strips of disk foil.
Thanks for this excellent build log!

Could you provide a little more detail on how you do/did the hinges -- both your way as well as the "traditional", please? By "disk foil", do you mean floppy disk material?

Gene K
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2019, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Thank you!
The rudder hinges were made of 0.4 mm ply strip glued to thin strip of hard balsa. Then, ive drilled it to be able to fit approx 2 mm dia plastic tube. When the tube was glued, its remaining parts except of that remained in the ply/balsa were cut off. Then, the strip with small plastic tube ring was sanded to the required shape ( resembling an arrow in my case). Finally, that "arrow" shaped hinge was lightly soaked in CA. All the rest is best illustrated by the photos. I hope i have not omitted any part of the process.
Re what i called a disk foil was to mean a floppy disk stuff
Cheers,
M
Mar 05, 2019, 08:01 AM
Quote:
I hope i have not omitted any part of the process.
Thanks much for the clear explanation. So I assume it is the hinge riding in the slot that positions the control surface relative to the stabilizer?

Gene K
Mar 05, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Oh, im sorry, now i can see that ive made a wrong (or misleading) illustration of how the hinges are actually fitted ( i just wanted to make a quick fit for the purpose of making a photo and i made it wrong!).
Below are new photos showing the correct position of the hinges (these are to be glued to the slot in the rudder /the rest of the slot will be filled with spackle or balsa after instalation/ and their extending parts (the tail of the "arrow") will be glued into respective point slots in the fin. I hope its clear now.
Best regards,
M
Mar 05, 2019, 10:03 AM
Quote:
... (these are to be glued to the slot in the rudder /the rest of the slot will be filled with spackle or balsa ... .
Thanks for that explanation as I was wondering why the slot was so long (obviously for alignment). Fine workmanship.

Gene K
Mar 05, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks the slot is long also as it has to house the rudder's axle that will go into the fuse, where the steering horn will bo fitted.
Cheers.
M
Mar 07, 2019, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Hi,
The work on the second half of the fuse continues... Ive spotted lots of small areas where some improvements of the shape of the formers need to be made; also now when one side of the fuse is skinned and stucture is fairly rigid i could slightly reduce the height of the keel, specifically at the tail to save as much weight as i can. I have also started working on the motor mount which is also to house the battery. As im not sure how the model will balance i will also make an additional battery compartment slightly aft and above the motor. This will hopefully allow to avoid adding any dead weight to the nose.
Cheers,
M
Mar 10, 2019, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Hi,
The motor mount construction proved to be a bit time consuming but im happy (so far) with the result. It should allow to accumulate most of the equipment weight in the nose of the fuse. Wheter that will balance the model correctly remains to be seen...
Cheers,
M
Mar 13, 2019, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Hi,
Next stage: the engine cowl. Nothing particular but i really enjoy carving and sanding balsa
M
Ps the "big" white cowl comes from the Dumas kit.
Mar 20, 2019, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Hi,
Ive finished the mainframe of the fuselage. The fuse and the engine cowl have been covered with dope and await covering with tissue. The fuse plus the wings (with uc gear, no servos) and tail weigh 47 g.
Now, ive started building the radial engine. Still, lots of work to be done...
Cheers,
M
Mar 20, 2019, 02:03 PM
Go small or go home
Looks good! I can't quite get my head around the size and weight proportions. She's going to pack on the grams with final finishing, but for the size that may be fine (better than fine).

I really like what you did with the hidden rudder control. I'm going to assume you're going to do the same with the elevator? I think I need to review some of your earlier pics again
Mar 21, 2019, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Hi,
Yes, both the rudder and elevator will have their horns located inside the fuse and will be operated by pull-pull thread linkage. As the fuselage is fairly thick at the rear i also considered a retractable tail wheel, but after a while i had to scrap this idea as it would be too difficult for me to mount that many installations in one place ;(
Cheers,
M
Mar 23, 2019, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
The fuse is now covered with tissue and has finally got a new colour. This is obviously only a light coat ment to show all imperfections in covering and indicate the places for further sanding.
Now i need to finalise the inner side of the cowl and prepare the dummy motor.
Cheers,
M
Mar 25, 2019, 08:59 AM
Acorn Barnsley Bitter
Michael

Fantastic skill cannot wait to see it to the end
Mar 25, 2019, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Hi,
Thanks
Still lots of work ahead, but today ive finally assembled the body of the dummy motor. Now, onto all the pushrods and spark plug wires...
Cheers,
M

Quick Reply