This thread is privately moderated by Hubert1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 04, 2019, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Flycolor windragon esc review.

First impression: The esc was well packed, in a very nice box. The esc is however bigger and heavier than the average 80A esc, hopefully it makes up for this with extra features.

Connection: Connecting the esc to my phone was fairly simple. The wife from the module does sometimes take a while to show up,, but after you connect to the network, then hit connect in the app, everything works smoothly, and I had no connection issues. I donít believe that the wifi module is included if you buy the esc, but I wonít complain too much since most manufacturers dont include any progrmming tool.

App: The app is easy to use, and has a variety of settings, such as motor rotation, bec voltage, brake, etc. After connecting to the esc all of these settings are easy to change, and once saving the esc emits a series of beeps letting you know it has been updated. No issues here, everything worked as expected.

Reverse: This esc allows you to switch the motor rotation in the app, or you can do so with a switch, provided yo have an extra channel on your receiver. This is not very common, but is very nice to have, and allows for some very weird but fun maneuvers. It is worth noting that this feature only works if you have the brake enabled.

Glitches: I only had one glitch throughout my entire testing, and it was quite minor. In test 1, the rpm shot up to 522, 160 when the motor started rotating, but it went back down to normal very quickly. This occurred only once and I was not able to get it to happen again, so I assume it was a one time issue. No other data was affected, so even if this did occur, it would not be a big deal.

Accuracy: I tested the escís amp readings and voltage readings against my Klein tools DC clamp meter, and it was always within 3%, so no complaints here. I did not bother checking temperature, as the temp sensor in the esc is obviously inside the esc, so the temperature on the case would naturally be a little bit lower. I donít have the tools required to measure the other settings, but I can say they all appeared to be reasonable, so I wouldnít be worried about accuracy.

Real time monitoring: The real time monitoring works well, all data is displayed on your phone screen, and can be recorded. From what I can tell the data is analyzed 5 times per second which should be more than enough for the average person. Recorded data can be analyzed in a graph or table, both of which are very easy to read (see pictures). It is very cool to see all of this data and it is of course the primary selling point.

In flight data? Here is the major downside to the esc. From what I can tell, you cannot record data in flight. No matter what I tried, the data only records when it is connected to your phone, once connection is lost it simply stops recording. Furthermore, real-time monitoring does not restart once connection is regained. Once you lose connection, itís over. Hopefully this functionality will be someday added, as this would make the product much more useful.

Final thoughts:
So should you buy it? It depends. Lack of in flight data is a huge downside, so Iím afraid that until this functionality is added, this product wonít be that useful to most enthusiasts. The most important things to monitor are voltage and amperage, and most people in this hobby already have a watt meter to do so on the ground. However, the esc is rather inexpensive, for example the 80A is slightly cheaper than an 80A YEP, so if the extra weight and size does not bother you this is definitely something to consider. The app is convenient, offers lots of settings and very cool real time data, along with reverse functionality. If in flight data becomes possible, this will be a fantastic product. But as it stands, while it is a good value in terms of features, it may not be worth the weight and size penalty for many.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply