Apr 28, 2019, 10:37 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
WeaselFest 2019 “fish tank” effect (0 min 54 sec)

Classic WeaselFest “fish tank” effect yesterday afternoon.

Looks like it’s shaping up to have the same kind of conditions today.

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Apr 28, 2019 at 10:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2019, 11:45 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Yeah flying in the Fishtank yesterday was so much fun.
I couldn’t believe how many of us were in the air at the same time.

Dave
Apr 28, 2019, 01:54 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
Thread OP
Oops!
Apr 28, 2019, 02:47 PM
Lets build it
Anyone live?
Apr 28, 2019, 07:24 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Predictably, the lift got good after the San Diego guys left today. Super fun Ahi session ensued for Dawson, Michael and myself. Did some formation FPV flying with another local guy and that was fun too. Another great WeaselFest in the books, didn’t quite have magic lift but it was still a great time at the bluff. And having Bob Martin here was absolutely epic!!

Thanks everybody, hope to see you next year!
Apr 28, 2019, 07:39 PM
It's time for me to fly
That fishbowl video is nuts! What was the mid-air count?
Apr 28, 2019, 07:41 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind
Oops!
A least you didn't hit that beer
Apr 28, 2019, 10:07 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
That fishbowl video is nuts! What was the mid-air count?
Just got home. What a great weekend with a great bunch of guys!

The Fishbowl video.... you wanna hear something totally crazy!

At that time Steve was shooting video and I was taking pictures. Both of us realized how much fun everybody was having (there was about 11 in the air at that time) and so we put the cameras down and grabbed our Ahis and went out to join the fray. And with us about 8 more guys followed. It was nearly impossible to get an accurate count but we think there were 20+ airplanes in the air at once.
It was like the more people that were up the more contagious it got and the more joined in the craziness.
Totally crazy and fun. Some of the most fun I’ve had in a long time!
At one point I yelled out I hope somebody is videoing this. And someone yelled back I think we are all flying!
If you took your eyes off your airplane you were in very big trouble, considering they all looked mostly the same. With no sun your individual colors didn’t show up to well. Also flat lighting is not the best for depth perception.
(taking your eyes off your plane was very tempting when the midairs happened)
Dan, one of the San Diego guys, was calling the turns. And so we were staying in sync most of the time pretty good. We went for a good long while without any midairs and then I think there was three midairs towards the end.
It was really a blast and just that one session made the entire trip worthwhile. It was fun hearing everybody laughing and all the banter and smack talking. It was funny hearing Greg give Dan a hard time for not calling the turns perfectly.

After looking at that video on my home computer and pausing it I count about 11 aircraft just like my pics show. So imagine that video with about twice as many aircraft in the air!

Really a great day and a great Weasel Fest weekend.

And I would also like to thank Michael and his wife for all their generosity! Such good people!
I will be back next year for sure.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Apr 28, 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Apr 29, 2019, 12:50 AM
S.L.O.P.E.
Thread OP
I echo DWA's comments. That huge scrum was a ton of fun. Many thanks to Michael and Ashly for their friendship and generosity. The dinner was awesome and the raffle a wonderful way to end the day!

Alas, the camera didn't get out much. When it was flyable I tended to be flying!

Greg
Apr 29, 2019, 11:44 AM
Michael, thanks for such a great event, and thanks for the excellent dinner!

That "fish tank" session sure was fun! Seemed like very few mid airs for 20 planes flying in such a small area.

Already thinking about what to bring next year! Possibly something a little easier to pack, as the San Diego crew needed 3 wagons to carry all out stuff!

Ward
Apr 29, 2019, 02:41 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
Thread OP
(0 min 39 sec)
Apr 29, 2019, 03:33 PM
Just Toss It !!!
That was indeed a fun Weasel Fest.
A little grayer than usual and a little less wind than we are used to.
But all in all it great to see old friends and chill for a day or two.
As usual I didn't take many pics but below are the few I took.
I'm especially surprised there aren't more pictures of the dinner banquet.
And a great banquet it was..... Hosted generously by Michael Richter and family. .... It was greatly appreciated and heartily enjoyed.
I think everyone walked away with a raffle gift and I was no exception.

Looking forward to next year......Thanks again to Dream Flight and the Richter Family one and all !
Apr 29, 2019, 03:34 PM
Just Toss It !!!
And here's a short clip of what the fishbowl and the participants looked like before another 10 flyers joined in:

Weasel Fest 2019 (1 min 27 sec)
Apr 29, 2019, 06:49 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Matin,

Thanks for posting the video...that flight was so darn funny...just shows how you don't need huge lift to have a great time flying these little aircraft. Thanks to Dan, calling the turns too!

It was a good time to socialize and catch up on all the folks that I've come to know over the years... the entire Ricther family, my buddy Surfimp and his talented son Jose Luis, TFLG, all the great North County guys...wow, just a great time, all in all.

On top of that, I really was stoked to get to talk to Mr Bob Martin, thank him for all the years of enjoyment I have had, and for all of his efforts advancing our crazy hobby. Getting to hear first hand the story of developing the SR7 was just to damn cool. Thank you again Bob!

Andy

Quick Reply