Feb 03, 2019, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Itty bitty Hercules

I spent this sunday designing a new plane. An itty bitty Hercules. I hope for an all u p weight of 100 g or less, but think it might end up at around 115 g. 1S 450 mAh, 3,5 g Rx with onboard servos, four coreless motors and a single tiny aileron servo.

It is not an accurate rendition of a Hercules, but close enough to a Herc to be fun. The first nose piece that I printed weighs 6,5 g so it's much lighter than I thought possible. I'm printing a single 0,3 mm wall (with a 0,4 mm nozzle actually) and 0,12 mm layers. Wingspan will be 600 mm, which is tiny for a Herc model, as you can see from the photo of the fuselage section. The top and side outlines are pretty close to scale, but other than that it's not accurate.

EDIT:
Get it here:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...cules-rc-model
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3411464
Last edited by Lynxman; Feb 07, 2019 at 12:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2019, 11:52 AM
Now that's interesting. Single wall shapes have long intrigued .
Hopefully it proves a reasonable print technique for airframes
Feb 03, 2019, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Seems to work very well for these small parts. The round shape probably helps everything hold its shape. The nose part is incredibly strong to the feel. I'm going to try ptinting thinner to see where the limit is. I tried 0,2 mm, which almost worked but left gaps. I don't have smaller nozzles but am surprised what can be achieved with a 0,4 mm nozzle.
Feb 03, 2019, 12:00 PM

hollow wing profile?

Have you tried a hollow wing profile ?
Many of the early parkzone "umx" models have a wing that is just a thin depron sheet pressed into a wing shape
Also use "differential trust" and a bit of dihedral might be enough to eliminate ailerons or rudder.

Looking forward to the result

Feb 03, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
The wing profile is a hollow undercambered profile. There's two tiny tubes along the length. I can try without the tubes, but I think they add necesary stability.
Feb 03, 2019, 12:40 PM

u shaped channel for spar?

What about leaving a shallow groove to glue in a spar from the underside if needed?
That way you can make sure its glued over it full length at minimal additional weight
Feb 03, 2019, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
I'm going to finish the prototype before I change anything.
Feb 03, 2019, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I spent this sunday designing a new plane. An itty bitty Hercules. I hope for an all u p weight of 100 g or less, but think it might end up at around 115 g. 1S 450 mAh, 3,5 g Rx with onboard servos, four coreless motors and a single tiny aileron servo.
Just like the Speed 400 subject - you must be Nucking Futs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I'm printing a single 0,3 mm wall (with a 0,4 mm nozzle actually) and 0,12 mm layers. Wingspan will be 600 mm, which is tiny for a Herc model, as you can see from the photo of the fuselage section. The top and side outlines are pretty close to scale, but other than that it's not accurate.
Ha. The undersized nozzle is a nice cheat - that I also use from time to time. I use it whenever I need a detailed print but I don't want to change nozzle. It gives very good efects.
Feb 04, 2019, 04:00 AM
Thread OP
Printed a new nose with 0,28 mm extrusion width. After printing I cut away the bottom that was stuck to the bed using some lexan RC car body scissors. The weight of the new piece is 6,1 g. It's still strong. This nose section will fit inside the end of the center fuselage section, which is not closed up.
Feb 04, 2019, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Changed the shape of the nose slightly since my last print to make it more accurate. Here's the STL for those that want to take a look
Feb 04, 2019, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
The full fuselage weighs a whopping 29 g, including the oversize tape I used to hold the parts together. I was worried it would weigh 40 g so this is good.
Feb 04, 2019, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Started printing on my Wanhao as well in a green filament. It seems to print slightly lighter as this nose cone only weighs 5,4 g. That's so light.
Feb 04, 2019, 02:16 PM

vase mode?

Is the fuse just a single wall "vase" ?
Feb 04, 2019, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Yes, but the center section has a slot for the battery, a shelf for the receiver/servos and cavities for the landing gear.
Feb 04, 2019, 03:17 PM
Cool!!! - wish I had just a tiny bit of your talent.

Quick Reply