Feb 19, 2019, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
As noted in the second post, this appears to be the same charger as the M8. The M8 user's forum is pretty concerning with a lot of bugs and a lot of firmware changes.

It's not clear that this is ready for prime time yet. I may wish I had waited a bit. I guess we'll see.
The main reasons I got the Hobbymate over the M8 is the wider DC input voltage range* (7v-30v vs 10v-30v) and the support I have seen Hobbymate give in these forums.

Also for the price, I'm fine with updating firmware. Though I understand why some would be nervous about using a first gen charger.

* While making sure I had the input voltages right, I noticed RCtoolkit now lists the M8 as having the same 7v-30v input, though the product pictures still show 10v-30v printed on the charger itself
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2019, 12:11 PM
Clive, Illinois
"Too good of a deal to pass up" - It's a piece of junk, and a rip-off @ $40 bucks
It is designed to fool the ill-informed and clueless
I am shocked that only joelspangler knows what's going on.
fwi - It doesn't have anymore features than any other charger

So what is the recommended power supply, (do they sell one on their site) ?

Bob

This statement boggles my mind -
"The main reasons I got the Hobbymate over the M8 is the wider DC input voltage range* (7v-30v vs 10v-30v)"

heyphred - please be specific and tell me exactly which power supply (model #) you use,
and if you use more then one, please tell the model numbers, ( I want to go have a look at the specs)
Last edited by Bob Marley; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:19 PM.
Feb 19, 2019, 12:46 PM
- Passing Through -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Marley
"Too good of a deal to pass up" - It's a piece of junk, and a rip-off @ $40 bucks
It is designed to fool the ill-informed and clueless
I am shocked that only joelspangler knows what's going on.
I think you need to check yourself, before calling anyone ill-informed” and “clueless”.

It’s a $40 charger. I’m not sure what your expectations are, or why you choose to slander a company offering something for sale. The charger works perfect for what I need. It’s compact, portable and charges my batteries just fine. I didn’t buy this charger to compete with my Hyperion chargers, I bought it for when I need something easy to transport. On my 12V car battery it works just fine. I don’t need it to do anything other than charge my batteries.

If you have an issue with the other claimed functions, so be it. Your argument might be better received without the name calling.
Feb 19, 2019, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Marley
heyphred - please be specific and tell me exactly which power supply (model #) you use,
and if you use more then one, please tell the model numbers, ( I want to go have a look at the specs)
Happy to, here is a direct link ->https://chinahobbyline.com/index.php...product_id=103

Yeah there is a story behind it, but it doesn't matter & I don't think you'll really care.

The D6 is doing everything I need it to do and then some.

It's all good.
Feb 19, 2019, 01:21 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Machine
Your argument might be better received without the name calling.
Keep in mind, if there were a contest for who is on the most Ignored lists, you don't want to bet against Marley.
Feb 19, 2019, 02:00 PM
- Passing Through -
Quote:
Keep in mind, if there were a contest for who is on the most Ignored lists, you don't want to bet against Marley.
I know hes a troll, I took the bait. Im bored and figured it was worth responding.
Feb 21, 2019, 12:43 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Mine already arrived -- that was fast. The free lipo box is kinda neat. It's a good size to hold the charger plus a small or medium battery being charged. Lid uses a double-zip so you can run the power supply cable inside wherever you want. For field use I use a 2.6Ah 4S battery. I think there's room for that too.

Initial impressions a bit disappointing. I like all the bells and whistles, but the quality is definitely sub ISDT. The main control knob is cheap and cheesy. Seems to be misaligned to the case and doesn't rotate well. For a while I couldn't get the press action to function at all until I realized it was binding on the case and I need to press the high point. I guess I'll mark that with a sharpie. So I probably got a bad one.

If it didn't have a defective switch, I guess it would be okay. But I haven't tried many of it's various functions yet. I guess we'll see if Hobbymate really does follow their threads and offers to do something.
Last edited by hard line; Feb 21, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Feb 21, 2019, 02:29 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Mine already arrived -- that was fast. The free lipo box is kinda neat. It's a good size to hold the charger plus a small or medium battery being charged. Lid uses a double-zip so you can run the power supply cable inside wherever you want. For field use I use a 2.6MA 4S battery. I think there's room for that too.

Initial impressions a bit disappointing. I like all the bells and whistles, but the quality is definitely sub ISDT. The main control knob is cheap and cheesy. Seems to be misaligned to the case and doesn't rotate well. For a while I couldn't get the press action to function at all until I realized it was binding on the case and I need to press the high point. I guess I'll mark that with a sharpie. So I probably got a bad one.

If it didn't have a defective switch, I guess it would be okay. But I haven't tried many of it's various functions yet. I guess we'll see if Hobbymate really does follow their threads and offers to do something.
I saw that the control knob didn't seem to be working all that smoothly in the review video, either.
What's your opinion of the screen display quality, Hard? Also looks sub-ISDT.
Feb 21, 2019, 03:41 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
No, I think the screen is okay. Nothing obvious bit me when I used it earlier. I'll look closer next time.

On mine, and maybe all, the rotary knob works best if you use finger and thumb, like tightening a wing nut. It doesn't freely shuttle with a finger-tip. Obnoxious when you have to make many turns like turning 12V min input to 7V. But I only need to do that once.

BTW, the 2.6Ah supply battery would only fit diagonally in the box, so I guess I'll do a Velcro mount on the side. Besides, I'm trying to buy a bigger lipo for the supply. Trying to find someone with a big used-up junk-quality EDF battery that they can't use.
Last edited by hard line; Feb 21, 2019 at 03:47 PM.
Feb 22, 2019, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Mine already arrived -- that was fast. The free lipo box is kinda neat. It's a good size to hold the charger plus a small or medium battery being charged. Lid uses a double-zip so you can run the power supply cable inside wherever you want. For field use I use a 2.6Ah 4S battery. I think there's room for that too.

Hi hard line, I sent you private message, and hopefully to figure out what's going on, if it is defective, sure we will help you out.
Feb 24, 2019, 09:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Machine
Too good of a deal to pass up. I ordered the charger and the bag.
Thanks for dealing with us
Feb 25, 2019, 06:45 PM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Quote:
As noted in the second post, this appears to be the same charger as the M8. The M8 user's forum is pretty concerning with a lot of bugs and a lot of firmware changes.

It's not clear that this is ready for prime time yet. I may wish I had waited a bit. I guess we'll see.

Well, I now have purchased 2 M8s and 1 HobbyCool. I also own the ISDT 300W pro.I find them just fine. They replaced my 4 port $200 charger that the main AC-DC PS shorted out. Great replacements.

I'm now using and learning Open-TX and I find firmware changes a big PLUS.
Each to his or her own.
Feb 27, 2019, 10:25 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'm pleased to report that Hobbycool customer service came through. Reading my post they PM'd me some suggestions to try and when that didn't solve the problem they volunteered to replace the charger...which is now ordered.

Problem is a sticky switch and they think it might loosen up with use. And I agree, that might happen. But it shouldn't have come that way, and they took care of business.

Excellent customer service.

EDIT -- Replacement arrived and the switch works fine. Confirms the first one was bad, and all is well now.
Thanks Hobbycool.
Last edited by hard line; Mar 06, 2019 at 03:44 PM.
Mar 16, 2019, 06:54 PM
Electrons were young...
Question regarding charging 1s batteries. Can this charger do so, at high rates, without a balance connector?
Mar 17, 2019, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
Question regarding charging 1s batteries. Can this charger do so, at high rates, without a balance connector?
I have done my 1s batteries @2c with this charger.

It is a bit conservative with the final part of the charge and they come in a little under 4.2 when done.
I am going to try carefully setting up a manual charge where it will have a higher final voltage setting so when it's done they will be at 4.2v

Quick Reply