Mar 10, 2002, 04:02 PM
Thread OP

Looking for a Slope In Northern Virginia

Iím looking to do some slope soaring to try something new. However, Iím not sure where to look for hills. Does anybody know of a Web site, or guide that can point me to legal slope soaring sites?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2002, 07:44 PM
Hi,
I'm in Northern VA as well. I don't know where there is a slope, but was hoping if you do find one to let me know as I would really like to see a sloper fly.
Tom
Mar 11, 2002, 10:02 PM
Good to hear from fellow No VA flyers!

Actually, I'm looking too. Live in Falls Church and work out in Ashburn. I know there's "sites" out in the blue ridge, but I'd like to find something a bit more close in to the city.

In fact, my 2x4's seen better days and I'm looking for a new HLG that's relatively cheap, can travel kind of easily, and would be good for the light lift that we NoVA flyers will probably find most often.

Sorry I have no tips, but I'm always looking and I'll be sure to post when I find a suitable site.
Mar 12, 2002, 12:43 AM
Hey,

Yea, I've been looking to see if I could find a place to slope. What about trying to get access to the Fairfax Co. landfill off Rt 66 near-ish rt 50?
I was driving past there today and once again was wondering if I could get up there, however there seems to be alot of short shrubs and stuff that would make landing a pain. Just a thought.

~Andrew
Mar 12, 2002, 06:39 AM
Thread OP
Sounds like we just created a club. :-)

The landfill hill is off limits. Even if we could us it 66 is very close and the stuff around there would tear up the planes.

Do you guys know of any electric flying clubs in NoVa?
Mar 12, 2002, 07:48 AM

Neat thread.....lets keep it going for a spell.:)

I have a neat HLG I just bought that I am dying to try out (Omega HLG). Also have an old Kyosho soarus that I refurbished that needs some air.
Where do you guys fly that is close in? The Lacross girls have just recently taken over my fields (to be followed by BaseBall, Socker), so It's late PM flying for me until next late-fall. :-/

Pullin'
Mar 12, 2002, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Sounds like we should put our heads together and think of a place to fly.

I fly in a park in Centreville. However, from time to time there are players on the fields.
Mar 12, 2002, 09:10 AM
I just started this year, and have joined the PPA that flies at Fort Belvoir. While mostly gas, I have seen quite a few electrics and a few gliders. This is a great group of people, very friendly.

I'm currently building a Terminator and hope to fly sometime soon.

http://www.pohickpilotsassociation.homestead.com/
Mar 12, 2002, 09:55 AM
Guys, I drive by that landfill every day and I've often thought about how that could be an ideal slope. If only the site wasn't hard by I-66. You often see larger birds up there having fun.

I've heard of guys sloping at a dam somewhere in Northern Virginia, but I don't know the location.

Hey, HavingFun, come on out to PPA sometime and fly with us. We've got the gamut when it comes to electrics--aerobatic ships, slow flyers, park flyers and fast, run-for-the-slit trench stuff. We've even got a well-known electric flight columnist and enthusiast in our ranks now.
Last edited by Brian Nixon; Mar 12, 2002 at 10:03 AM.
Mar 12, 2002, 11:49 AM
hi gang. fyi, there's a new forum on ezone for sloping:
http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...ne=&forumid=97

now we don't have to use the foamie forum anymore
Mar 19, 2002, 11:06 PM
Just started a new thread in the new Sloping forum. (Use the menu at bottom left to get there.)
Mar 19, 2002, 11:09 PM
Best kept secret on the Web! Locations, plane reviews, and the flight log.

http://www.slopeflyer.com

Here is the VA listings....

http://www.slopeflyer.com/html/virginia.html
Mar 20, 2002, 12:50 AM
I live in Vienna and find that my old middle school (Thoreau) is a good place to fly. Last week I went right after school got out, and before the baseball teams invaded the fields for practice. I have yet to be confronted flying there.

Also, I fly kites (the 2+ line variety) and we fly at Lake Fairfax Park alot during the summer.
Whenever we take a break and the kites are out of the air I'll get my Razor out and fly that around for a bit. My kite buddies told me that they once saw people flying zagi's (speed 400 I think) there, so maybe some sort of peaceful agreement could be reached.

What about the Ellipse? (j/k)

~Andrew

Quick Reply