Feb 02, 2019, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

MZ-32 ->MZ-24 buddy box

After spending two hours trying to get this to work I am yielding and posting here. I just need to understand the menu and selections better. So I was able to get the trainer switch and binding set up last night but when I tried to use the 24 for the pupil certain flight controls were inoperable. I need someone to explain how the teacher pupil inputs and outputs work as I suppose the manual didn't click for me. On the 32(teacher) do I set the channels to pupil that I want the 24 to be able to use? Do the model settings in the 32 automatically work for the 24? Does the model have to be set up on the 24 prior to binding and activating trainer mode? This is my first buddy box set up and I have only recently transitioned my fleet to the Graupner radios so I'm still very much on the learning curve. I'm using this set up to perform my maiden on my turbine so I'm trying to ensure its correct.

Thanks,

Zach
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2019, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Here are my channel assignments.
Feb 07, 2019, 10:02 AM
There are several potential reasons. I have successfully used the MZ32 / MZ24PRO combination. You appear to have a MZ24, but let’s try to give it a shot anyway.

It appears that you have not used / or changed the automatic model setup feature on the MZ32. While you can do that, it makes things much more difficult and some of the Function Modules might not operate as intended. For example the mixers expect certain channel allocations i.e Aileron on Ch2 and Ch5 (depending on the kind of wing setting) That way ST2 is automatically assigned to Ch2 and Ch5 stays blank which is handled by the TX. This could very well be your main problem.

However, before you dig into that do/check the following. Check the Signal Pos. setting in the MZ32 Trainer Module, it needs to be set at After Mixer for both ailerons to work (you will loose an aileron when setting it to Before Mixer) . Try this first. I would suggest the following, shouldn’t that work for you.

Create a new Model with automatic channel allocation and try the Buddy Box setup. That way you don’t loose your existing model setup work.

Like I said, I don’t have the standard MZ24 but believe it works the same.
Have fun!
Last edited by yrag; Feb 07, 2019 at 10:21 AM.
Feb 09, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrag
There are several potential reasons. I have successfully used the MZ32 / MZ24PRO combination. You appear to have a MZ24, but let’s try to give it a shot anyway.

It appears that you have not used / or changed the automatic model setup feature on the MZ32. While you can do that, it makes things much more difficult and some of the Function Modules might not operate as intended. For example the mixers expect certain channel allocations i.e Aileron on Ch2 and Ch5 (depending on the kind of wing setting) That way ST2 is automatically assigned to Ch2 and Ch5 stays blank which is handled by the TX. This could very well be your main problem.

However, before you dig into that do/check the following. Check the Signal Pos. setting in the MZ32 Trainer Module, it needs to be set at After Mixer for both ailerons to work (you will loose an aileron when setting it to Before Mixer) . Try this first. I would suggest the following, shouldn’t that work for you.

Create a new Model with automatic channel allocation and try the Buddy Box setup. That way you don’t loose your existing model setup work.

Like I said, I don’t have the standard MZ24 but believe it works the same.
Have fun!
Thank you for the reply and yes I have the MZ-24 and bought the pro upgrade software. So it appears I wired my flight controls differently than what the transmitter wants so when I changed the model type to 2A2P it didn't work correctly. Once I switched everything back to 1a1p all the sudden everything on my 32 works properly after setting the channels correctly. When I set it to 2 ailerons and 2 flaps aileron deflection caused elevator movement and elevator deflection caused flap movement. I have set up my MZ-24 identical to the 32 and will try the buddy box today to see if everything works. If not I will have to re wire the receiver and start over again. Thanks for the input about the before and after pos as right now I have it on before. I may try setting up a new model so I don't lose all my settings again.

When I use the 1Aile1Flap and a normal tail the model behaves as it should. Will it be an issue to fly like this even though I have seperate servos for each flight control? It operates just fine right now on the ground?
Feb 09, 2019, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach
Thank you for the reply and yes I have the MZ-24 and bought the pro upgrade software. So it appears I wired my flight controls differently than what the transmitter wants so when I changed the model type to 2A2P it didn't work correctly. Once I switched everything back to 1a1p all the sudden everything on my 32 works properly after setting the channels correctly. When I set it to 2 ailerons and 2 flaps aileron deflection caused elevator movement and elevator deflection caused flap movement. I have set up my MZ-24 identical to the 32 and will try the buddy box today to see if everything works. If not I will have to re wire the receiver and start over again. Thanks for the input about the before and after pos as right now I have it on before. I may try setting up a new model so I don't lose all my settings again.

When I use the 1Aile1Flap and a normal tail the model behaves as it should. Will it be an issue to fly like this even though I have seperate servos for each flight control? It operates just fine right now on the ground?
FYI - MZ24PRO that is what I did. Originally I had the standard MZ24 and upgraded to the MZ24PRO - it’s a very nice TX.

Your question: That is fine, you just loose the ability to make adjustments to the individual Aileron and Flap servos.

HOWEVER - Please make sure you have the correct deflections (flaps up/down, aileron left turn/right turn) BOTH WAYS when the Teacher is in control and when the Student is in control. You probably checked already, just want to make sure.
Feb 09, 2019, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrag
FYI - MZ24PRO that is what I did. Originally I had the standard MZ24 and upgraded to the MZ24PRO - it’s a very nice TX.

Your question: That is fine, you just loose the ability to make adjustments to the individual Aileron and Flap servos.

HOWEVER - Please make sure you have the correct deflections (flaps up/down, aileron left turn/right turn) BOTH WAYS when the Teacher is in control and when the Student is in control. You probably checked already, just want to make sure.
So I got everything working but have confirmed that I will probably have to re wire the receiver since I cannot adjust the D/R or expo on the MZ-24 without changing the way I have my channels set up. I think the thing to do is start a new model and begin wiring as per the new model set up for 2a2p. I was able to adjust one of two flight controls but since they are not on Y harnesses I don't have the ability in the 24 to add D/R expo to other channels. Just when I thought I had everything ready lol.

I did have everything reflecting properly but when I realized I would have no expo or throw setting on half my flight controls I realized I had no choice...
Feb 09, 2019, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
I guess I could program a mixer in the 24 and force adjustment on the other channels maybe?
Feb 09, 2019, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach
I guess I could program a mixer in the 24 and force adjustment on the other channels maybe?
My recommendation would be to create a new Model on the MZ32 and set up everything in a standard way. Then you only need create an automatic basic (same channel allocations and proper servo directions) on the MZ24, the rest is all done on the MZ32. It will make things easier down the road.

It is just my opinion, but whenever I tried to take a quick shortcut it caused me problems down the road. After a while it becomes difficult remembering all the special configurations and making changes, particularly on the flight line.

Once configured the wireless Student / Teacher function between the MZ32 and MZ24 works great.

... and as always - have fun!
Last edited by yrag; Feb 09, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Feb 09, 2019, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Yeah. I ended up creating a new model just to see where it assigned everything and then moved wires accordingly. Then went into my existing model changed it to 2a2p. Most flight controls are now functioning properly and I have to take a break to take care of my sick wife. Receiver batteries went dead so they need to charge again lol. I hate being on the learning curve of a new radio. Thanks for the help.
Feb 09, 2019, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
So making tons of progress now and have figured out that my servos were drawing hard on the batteries due to binding. I'm programming it out and my nose gear door servo is binding pretty much the whole time it's on. I moved the limit down and now need to adjust the gear door link. More work to do.

Quick Reply