Jan 14, 2005, 01:55 PM
SlingWinger

pager motor current draw stalled/running

I'm hacking my Skysprite. This plane uses a "rotor-rudder",A small fan in the vertical stab that uses a 6mm dia.x10mm long motor.I want to convert the fan to an actuator by either: Attaching a pushrod to the fan blade as I would a servo arm OR allowing the fan to spin and having the blades strike an extension of the rudder.The first method stalls the motor, the second would be noisy.What is the difference in current draw between the two is what I need to know before I proceed.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2005, 09:50 PM
Frequent Poster
What is the resistance of the fan motor? If it's >10ohms you can do the servo arm dealy.
Jan 15, 2005, 10:14 AM
Crash Master
I've been wiring 10-22ohms in series with the motors to limit the stall current and using them as actuators... works great!
Jan 15, 2005, 10:45 AM
The current will be highest when the motor is stalled. You should put a resistor in line with the motor to provide enough resistance for the driver that you use. About 60 Ohm should be safe with most actuator receivers. But take into account that the torque goes down with the current.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Jochen
Jan 15, 2005, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg
You should put a resistor in line with the motor to provide enough resistance for the driver that you use. About 60 Ohm should be safe with most actuator receivers. But take into account that the torque goes down with the current.
Is this a good way to make sure border line actuators/small motors don't damage the driver?
Jan 15, 2005, 02:57 PM
Crash Master
Yes, assuming there's enough torque with the resistor inline. The motors are not as efficient as actuators, and require more power to produce similar torque, but if the drivers can handle it, they are much simpler, cheaper and (in my experience) lighter.