This thread is privately moderated by japim, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2019, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

3D Printed F8F Bearcat 1:12 scale

I am slowly finishing printing of my own designed F8F Bearcat in 1:12 scale (ACES WWII R/C Combat class compatible).

One year of design process... I know I know - this could be faster, but I have had other things to do

Model is build in "conventional" way - not fully utilizing the benefits of organic style 3D printed internal supports.

Wings construction:
45 deg angled internal ribs
CF rods (1 x 6mm + 2 x 1.8mm) to be used as main strength members.
Segments attached with small tabs.
Due to wing chord length I had to split the segment in half way to fit on ordinary printer.

Fuselage construction:
Slices that have the channels for 6 CF rods 2mm diameter.
Each slice has "semi" stiffening formers that bind the channels for CF tubes at each slice end.
It works really well as even in a case of small wall fracture the fuse is still kept integral due to these stiffeners.
The fuse has separate belly.
Motor cowling is removable.
Motor mount attached to fuse & the CF rods glued joints.
Wings to be attached the RC combat style - alignment tab @ leading edge + 2 x 6mm aluminum tubes crossing the fuse + rubber bands.

Currently designed for 3536 motor 1200kV & 4S setup but 4108 600kV & 6S setup (3D lab print style) is also feasible due to removable/adjustable motor mount.

Fuselage has been 100% printed but not glued - just missing internals to mount servos and pack.
Wings are 85% ready - I am printing final pieces.

Model has not been weighted yet. I'll do that before I start final assembly.

Model is solid body type and the shell/reinforcement bodies are exclusively designed for Slic3r. I really disliked the way Cura 2.x was operating long time ago when I started the design process.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply