Go Sabres!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danong
4300kv looks exciting. Let us know how it went.....keen to know flight time
+1 Flight Time
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2019, 08:23 AM
PSALM 14:1
Those big blades looks like an amp hog to me.

1000w doesn’t necessarily mean great performance.

Good luck!
Jul 06, 2019, 08:49 AM
Weather looks passable today, might get a couple of flights in. Unfortunately I have to replace a leaky fuel pump on my wife's car today... so, time will tell. Rather miss out on a good day of flying than pay $1800+ to have the dealership do it.
Jul 06, 2019, 02:25 PM
RC Addict
Rough day for the F-15 (again) three hard crashes. This is after just crash #1 believe it or not. Can it fly again, in this condition? You won't believe your eyes. Editing video now.
Jul 06, 2019, 03:16 PM
Dang Jax, tough day. Dumb thumb, or were you having electrical problems?

Mine didn't go so well either. About 30sec in, I lost power but not control. Managed an ungraceful belly flop, no damage. ESC was too hot to touch, despite being in the open air with a big heat sink. Wonder if I need to program different timing? I programmed the second lowest, 10 degrees (options are 5/10/15/20/25deg). Should I go lower? Higher? for a cooler running ESC?
Jul 06, 2019, 03:37 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork
Dang Jax, tough day. Dumb thumb, or were you having electrical problems?

Mine didn't go so well either. About 30sec in, I lost power but not control. Managed an ungraceful belly flop, no damage. ESC was too hot to touch, despite being in the open air with a big heat sink. Wonder if I need to program different timing? I programmed the second lowest, 10 degrees (options are 5/10/15/20/25deg). Should I go lower? Higher? for a cooler running ESC?
Sorry to hear that Rusty. I've never had mine run hot, not at all, and we run (ran) it hard for many flights. Could be a bad esc? Try a stronger battery too. Oh, first crash was me flying inverted, too low and too slow, then, as you will see in the video below, we just got silly.
Jul 06, 2019, 03:38 PM
RC Addict
Here is the video. A true rc miracle, you won't believe your eyes.

An RC Jet Miracle, flying HALF of an airplane (6 min 48 sec)
Jul 06, 2019, 03:56 PM
Amazing!!! A F-15 flying headless/nose-less on SAFE. HH
Jul 06, 2019, 03:58 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4RC
Amazing!!! A F-15 flying headless/nose-less on SAFE. HH
We never expected it to fly. We just gave it a toss and off she went. Flew great. Totally amazing for sure.
Jul 08, 2019, 06:41 PM
Hi

I am thinking about this plane and using some 4s LIPO's with it. I have 6 4s 1300 mah laying around that need a home, it is possible to use one of these and get a good CG or put 2 in parallel for more flight time?

Does anybody have the dimension of the inside of the fuse to see if these would fit side by side or in front of each other also ?

Thanks
Scott B
Jul 08, 2019, 08:16 PM
You may get CG right with one 1300mah pack. Have to be a very good quality to hold up, and you’ll get 2ish minute flights.

Depending on length of packs, you may get them in back to back, but not side by side. Bay is narrow, long, and maybe tall enough for a parallel adapter on top of the packs, depending on size.

Bay is 36mm wide, 50mm deep, and about 165mm long (but there are servo wires in the back, so may get tight).
Jul 08, 2019, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork
You may get CG right with one 1300mah pack. Have to be a very good quality to hold up, and you’ll get 2ish minute flights.

Depending on length of packs, you may get them in back to back, but not side by side. Bay is narrow, long, and maybe tall enough for a parallel adapter on top of the packs, depending on size.

Bay is 36mm wide, 50mm deep, and about 165mm long (but there are servo wires in the back, so may get tight).
I used them for FPV racing and they hold up good, 75c discharge so I am not worried about that....

https://www.horizonhobby.com/racing-...-xt60-ori60244

Scott
Jul 08, 2019, 08:32 PM
Sounds good. I don’t mind short flight times, since I get to practice landings a lot, but some people don’t like that. This pulls around 40-45A at full throttle, so if you want longer flights just take it easy on the throttle. It likes going slow too, especially with AS3X.
Jul 10, 2019, 05:50 PM
After 105 flights on my F-15 something is finally gone wrong. A little after take off this afternoon the pitch of the fan went from normal to a very high pitch. Still the plane flew like normal. Then when I went straight up the motor quit. I glided back to a normal landing. On the ground I applied full throttle the high pitch whine came back, followed by a small pop and something flew out the back. The motor and fan were still running but the high pitch sound was still there. Going to open up the bottom in the next few weeks to check the fan and motor. I believe the motor is going bad.

Anyone else have any ideas what could be causing the high pitch sound or what might have caused the motor to stop? OBTW the battery was not the problem all test should it was fine, cells were at 4.03 across the board.
Jul 10, 2019, 07:13 PM
Man, I don’t know WHAT happened. I swapped in a new 70A esc today and tried to spin up my f15, with the cyclone power EDF. The room immediately started to smell like burning metal, so I cut it. Pulled the EDF out, that sucker was so hot I couldn’t hold it. After just seconds of partial throttle. Probably burned it out on my 30sec flight the other day. The coiled wires are black and crispy, burned, and the rotor won’t turn. Guess no one else should try this... have to see if rc castle will let me return it. Shame is, my 64mm panther has the same one... also new. Hope that one doesn’t let go right away too. I guess this is what I get for chasing more power :-)

Quick Reply