Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 30, 2019, 07:05 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Heh, heh...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2019, 07:08 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
My club has a cub day coming up. Good excuse to try my hand at the Cub model. Paint her yellow of course.

I'm gonna price some gear.
Jan 30, 2019, 08:40 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
I like these older style EMP motors for 4-5 oz planes a lot with a 5-3" prop and a zippy 350 mah 2S batt. The motor has a built in prop saver, so the cost is lower than most. My favorite in this series was the C2025 - 2500 KV very hard to find now, but the C1822 2100kV is slightly smaller and works almost as well.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/c1822-mi...100kv-14g.html
~ $11

battery:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...ah-2s-20c.html

~ $4

ESC, 6 amp:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...0-5a-ubec.html

~ $8

Two 4 to 5 gram servos

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...0sec-4-4g.html

~$4

and a small receiver and you're done.
Last edited by vtdiy; Jan 30, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
Jan 30, 2019, 08:48 PM
flyin' fool
What a wonderful idea, count me in.

There's lots of tiny drome motors out there that will work on 2S and swing a 5X3 prop at under 6 amps.

Sunnysky R1406

Gartt 1306

Racestar BR1407

I made back plate mounts from Lexan for mine.
Last edited by goldguy; Jan 30, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Jan 30, 2019, 09:52 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Goldguy, we're going to have to blame GPW for this. He's the one who said, I wonder what one of these scientific models would be like with a KFM wing!

Wondering if we're going to need ballast forward on some of these -- those 1/2A engines weren't light. And the new tiny motors are. Maybe we can get the batt into the cowl somehow on some. Well,hard to say where the CG will be until we start building some. Maybe the balsa log construction counterbalanced the heavy engine, and now with foam fuselages things will balance back out.

Fingers crossed!
Jan 30, 2019, 10:00 PM
flyin' fool
Looking at the Bel Air, Stunt Master and Circle Master printouts as we speak. The moments look not to bad on all three for what I want.
Jan 30, 2019, 10:12 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Maybe it was a false alarm......

I just realized the original firewall is way back from where these little motors will need to be mounted, so we may need a second bulkhead forward -- especially if the original one is still needed to mount the LG.

Not a problem, but that means maybe we don't need much of a cowl -- so that part listed on my plans above could actually just be mostly foam block attached to the rest of the fuselage.

The new "cowl" might just be more of a nose bowl. In the past, I've done those by making the whole thing foam, sanding to shape filling and painting, before any motor mounting, then sawing off the section of foam to be the cowling. I take that, wipe it lightly with Vaseline and pour a plaster of Paris mold of it in a little cardboard box, or cut down yogurt cup. Then grease that and lay in layers of tissue and white glue. let dry and pop out a nice cowl molding that fits perfectly.
Jan 30, 2019, 10:27 PM
flyin' fool
Got looking around at other pioneer's designs too, like Sterling, Goldberg, Comet, Frog, Keil Kraft, Mercury and Veron and there seems to be a overall design theme that runs through their DNA.

It's almost bring tears to my eyes. It's like looking at long lost relatives.
Jan 30, 2019, 11:12 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Yes, same here.

Scientific was the most affordable for me, and the planes that started me out. I really like the size, too, now. I can put a plane that size on my dresser, even if flying weather isn't here, it's nice to look at, like a little bit of bright colored sculpture. It doesn't take over the room, but it does draw the eye.

I have a small space adjacent to the house lined with trees, and I like flying at 10-25 feet high inside that space. Not so very different than control line flying back in the kid days. Similar models similar point of view flying around you. Well, could be the same models if we build Scientific designs.

Still want to build the Mr. Mulligan again, my first plane. If anybody has a set of the Scientific C/L plans for that, I'd love to hear from them!
Jan 30, 2019, 11:18 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
I like that Bel Air too, GG, a lot! Interesting wing construction on it, too. Quite different than the usual Scientific model. It looks to be a very early product for them. Great period lines.
Last edited by vtdiy; Jan 30, 2019 at 11:37 PM.
Jan 31, 2019, 02:22 AM
flyin' fool
The motor, wing and horz. stab of the BA has good decalage too. The shape of the horz and vert stab makes it recognizable as classic ………….. and beautiful too.

Should be good as an aerobat.
Jan 31, 2019, 06:41 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
I blame You guys !!! Makes me want to get out what remaining balsa i have …

You know if we built these twice the size ( in Foam) they should be good fliers eh..
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 31, 2019, 06:57 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
22x2=44, right in my sweet spot!
Jan 31, 2019, 11:29 AM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Okay, okay GPW, push them up in size, since I know 36" is what you like best for your field. Just promise you'll use cloth hinges on at least one for old time's sake? Not tape, or glue hinges. You know, cloth, the stuff we wear...... I bet you have pinking shears, too! A dab of white glue or carpenter's glue, and they're on foam forever. And you can adjust them before they dry, unlike tape. And really free movement.

For me, it's the 2-6 oz AUW 16-24" AUW size that remind me so much of flying these simple little C/L models --- AND keeping them in my room. BUT, lets have fun for everyone, and bring back these overlooked planes no matter what the size!

My only request is cloth hinges! Hahahaha! Ridiculous.....
Jan 31, 2019, 12:03 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Oh, I give up.....starting on the 22" Thunderbird. You guys..... well, all my good intentions of finishing older builds before starting a new plane just flew out the window......uhhhhh so to speak.

Big UL bipe on hold. Never even finished my F-82, (which was in fact a Scientific/Musciano kit inspired design, but ignore that.....the Shoestring racer...what ever happened to that one? Also balsa log inspired...Scientific-ish. There seems to be a pattern here......)

But a NEW Scientific plane possibility....wipes all that away! Of course. Where's my hacksaw blade? Lessee, need foam chunk.......

Quick Reply