Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 15, 2019, 06:16 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Actually we haven’t flown a gas plane in almost 30 years …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2019, 08:14 AM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
56 years for me...... so that must mean you know the latest developments!

I might try MInwax under Rustoleum on a foam model, just sort of, to see.......

Hard to let go of the ease of water cleanup quick drying non-fume acrylics, though
Mar 15, 2019, 08:21 AM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
GPW -- how big a block of balsa do you need? There is actually an LHS in the neighboring town with a big balsa rack. I might pay them a visit shortly.

----- Just found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Produ.../dp/B00081FL14
Last edited by vtdiy; Mar 15, 2019 at 08:31 AM.
Mar 15, 2019, 02:03 PM
gpw
gpw
VT, Size? I dunno’ ! Old Fool that I am , I carefully cut out the templates , put them nicely away in a folder , and now can’t find them at all … …. what an Idiot !!!

Thanks for the link …
Mar 15, 2019, 06:44 PM
Space Coast USA
GPW,
Have you checked ebay?
Lots of Balsa, many with free shipping. Prices look good.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+wood&_sacat=0
Mar 16, 2019, 06:08 AM
gpw
gpw
Guys , Thanks !!! I’ll have to get some from one of those sources …

Best I could find in the bin ( trying Salvage ) was some Alaskan Cedar , which was light , just not as much as Balsa…but I guess hollowed out enough it would be Light … ?

…and so Polyurethane Varnish is Fuel proof ??? I can’t imagine walking in a store today and asking for “Dope” ( Aircraft Lacquer) …

Waiting for it to get light so I can continue the search for those templates … aargh !!!
Mar 16, 2019, 02:08 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
GPW, I checked the size of a typical 1/2A Musciano high wing hollow log balsa design that I started as a display model before I got back into R/C.

It was an Aeronca Sedan....and I made it out of white pine, becuase it wasn't intended to be flown. That fuselage would fit in a 12" x 2" x 3"-depth balsa block, and I bet that's a standard size that Scientific used.

The block I linked to earlier on Amazon has a 4" depth -- otherwise the same. So you could easily get it out of that, and have spare wood for other bits on the plane.

From what I understand polyurethane varnish is fuel proof, yes. But so is Rustoleum enamels, apparently if you just let them dry a couple weeks.

--- hate it when I lose things I just made!!!
Mar 17, 2019, 06:22 AM
gpw
gpw
I know as soon as I print out another set of templates , I’ll find the first ones … Typical !!!
Mar 17, 2019, 12:06 PM
gpw
gpw
And naturally I’d put the templates in the box of Balsa, and put that back on the shelf …. Duh !!! ( another “senior moment” )

Fuselage is 13.5” from firewall to tail where the rudder joins , over 3.5” tall and 3.125 " wide … So Forget that chunk of Ecuador , I’m going with the 1/4" Profile body, plywood doublers , maple motor mounts (old school ) TD 051 … much simpler , and Scientific made profile kits too …. a few ...
Last edited by gpw; Mar 17, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
Mar 17, 2019, 08:12 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Yup, they did.
Mar 17, 2019, 11:01 PM
True , gpw , I for one learned to fly C/L on the Scientific - P-40 ( the profile with a 21" built up , symmetrical airfoil . Being young and stumbling blindly my second plane was also a Scientific profile , the 14" Kingpin which I built with the leadouts coming out the right wing , to see what it was like flying the other way , in preparation to try inverted . Dah … Anyway that aside I had several log type Scientific models after that , so with fond memories of those aircraft I am going to try and follow Vtdiy"s post request and build a Scientific log aircraft . ken
Mar 17, 2019, 11:17 PM
Well gpw I wish you well , but I will deviate from the Scientific designs for the typical bulkhead mounted .049"s and go electric . Donated enough blood on those 5X 4 butcher props , and the knees won't tolerate all the time on them , fighting with the often stubborn glow engines .
Mar 18, 2019, 05:55 AM
gpw
gpw
Thanks Tom , If I had a baby bee or golden bee I’d use the full fuselage (log) But all I’m left with is the TD 051 , and a TD 020 … And i’m not investing 40 bucks in a baby bee now just to make essentially a nostalgic display model to recall my youth ( some time ago) …

Actually I’m saving my pennies now for a 1969 Saab 96V4 , which I’d like to restore … ( may or may not happen ? )
Mar 18, 2019, 07:52 AM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Yup a TeeDee side mount on a profile would make sense, and is a lot cleaner looking than the BabeBee on a profile with a radial mount. Seems like each type engine had a logical type fuselage to go with. Radial = log, bearer = profile.

Besides, GPW, you're the foamie profile king!
Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Space Coast USA
No posts today? I'll fix that.

Been a while since some flight reports have been posted. Weather problems?

Quick Reply