Jan 29, 2019, 09:52 AM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Discussion

Let's Build Scientific Models

Well better put my money where my mouth is. In the failed experiments thread, I suggested "somebody" open a thread devoted to building planes based on the Scientific Models brand kits we built as kids. Most were C/L, but with today's equipment, they could certainly be viable today with R/C and foam construction.

Here are my suggestion for inclusion here:

How about a Scientific models thread where we all build one or another of these -- any type wing or fuse construction, but limited to say 24" span to keep them small and similar to type, but not absolutely requiring micro equipment.

An original span model would be great though if you have the equipment -- I think they may have been around 18" WS, as I remember. There were some larger planes, too, and those could be built at their original size. Just generally try to adhere to the affordable kid-size street and park fliers, as close in simple appearance and construction as possible to the originals. Some were hollow log construction, some were profile, and a few larger models were built-up, but the actual method is up to you.

Oh and absolutely, you MUST use cloth hinges! Ideally pinked, if you have the shears, and a plywood firewall, if the model had it, with LG sewn (thread or wire) to the back, if the model was designed that way.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2019, 10:46 AM
Old Fart With Drones
Great idea
Jan 29, 2019, 12:34 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
I suppose this might force me to finish my F-82.........
Last edited by vtdiy; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Jan 29, 2019, 01:11 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Resources:

If you go to the Outerzone website, and type into the search field "Scientific" you're going to see a mile long list of possibilities. Of course my favorites are the balsa log fuselage, and flat 18" x 1/4" or so balsa plank wing types.

Seems to me that somebody might want to shake up this foamies section with a (gasp) ALL BALSA wing!!!!???!!!, just like the originals, and a hollowed foam fuselage. To me that would make a lot of sense, since it would give the wing good stiffness on a flat foil (the originals did have rounded LE, and tapered TE, as I remember it). A half sheet of 1/4" balsa, and there's your wing.

Or of course you could do a UC or KFM wing to add stiffness to foam, for foam "purists"! Then there's paper covered foam, or foam with attached carbon fiber or bamboo skewer leading edge. The main thing would be to do some kind of sheet material wing, for the same type in the Scientific line. Do realize a flat wing is going to need to fly fast, a UC wing will slow it down, and KFM, somewhere between. You'll need to add dihedral -- ranging from say 4" total for a low wing 24" to 2" for an 18" high wing model.

For equipment, and this is JUST a suggestion for those wanting some help to start.....

For a 24" version, You'll want to come in somewhere around 4-5 oz. For that, a 350 mah Zippy 2 cell, a light weight 6 to 10 A ESC, a 10 gram motor of about 2000-2500 kV, a 5-3 prop, and 4-5 gram servos and a small receiver will get you there.

For an 18" model, you'll probably want an RX brick of some kind, and a brushed geared 8mm motor, with a similar sized prop, and single cell lipos of the RTF and quadcopter variety. Parkzone bricks and motors for those who prefer, or various brand heli/plane bricks and Banggood motor/box combos can be had for a total gear outlay of less than $20. Assuming you have a Tx that will work with the brick in question.

Hope that sparks some thought.....
Last edited by vtdiy; Jan 29, 2019 at 01:28 PM.
Jan 29, 2019, 01:35 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Check your tail......

since these were C/L models, and we're converting to R/C, check that your H stab is at least 20% of your wing area, or enlarge it to suit. And your V stab should be about 1/3 of the HStab area. That should put you in the proper range. Some models are going to need tweaking, some aren't. FUN! Learning opportunities! Fun!
Last edited by vtdiy; Jan 29, 2019 at 02:26 PM.
Jan 29, 2019, 08:46 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Love the V tail Bonanza. Had to give way to a full-size one of these on Sunday, we share the air with manned aircraft.
Jan 29, 2019, 09:40 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
A blast from the past there. Faint echoes of a bygone era.
The Bullet is a pretty little thing,
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4379
Last edited by Whiskers; Jan 29, 2019 at 11:18 PM.
Jan 29, 2019, 10:52 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Hey that Bullet is nice, isn't it Whiskers! and quite a long wing on it too.

I don't think I ever noticed that one as a kid. Too busy looking at the WW2 fighters.
Jan 29, 2019, 11:02 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Having built a P-38 single engine pusher here on RCG some time ago, I like the Scientific P-38, which was a tractor on a round pod, with profile booms.

Makes a lot of sense -- houses the gear and fairs the motor in the round fuse, and gets it forward avoiding the CG issues I had to solve. Prop in front really doesn't look that bad. I like that design a lot.
Jan 29, 2019, 11:19 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
I was intrigued back then by the Thunderbird bipe though. I still think it's cool!
Jan 29, 2019, 11:28 PM
That is cool as.
The pilot figure looks a bit 'un-scale' however.
Easily fixed.
Jan 29, 2019, 11:38 PM
low tech high tech
Thread OP
Whiskers the Outerzone entry for that one shows a built balsa model with several pics in color. No pilot and a bigger cockpit hole. Very nice -- done up in Navy raceri-ish style, to which it has some resemblance. But also to the Laird Super Solution. And a little bit of rat racer thrown in via the fully housed glow cylinder. Boy if I'd had built something that looked like that as a kid, I'd have been happy!
Jan 30, 2019, 12:03 AM
What a difference a nice finish makes.
The top one looks ho hum, the bottom one looks,"Wow! That's nice!"
Jan 30, 2019, 05:53 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Before we wandered into our first Hobby Shop, there was a hardware store down the street that had these , and we built at least a dozen of these … We had to expand our grass cutting business to accommodate our new Hobby …

Went to Philadelphia once and saw the old building where they were formerly made ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 30, 2019, 05:54 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Before we wandered into our first Hobby Shop, there was a hardware store down the street that had these , and we built at least a dozen of these … We had to expand our grass cutting business to accommodate our new Hobby …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply