Feb 01, 2019, 03:31 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc
Whether some people "panic and flail" or not is irrelevant. The device is intended to replace a throw life ring. It gives the rescuer the ability to put the flotation device right in the hands of the person in the water. If the person in the water is incapacitated for whatever reason then other measures are called for.

I disagree. Panic is a big issue when it comes to rescuing a drowning victim. Many would-be rescuers have been pulled under and drowned by a panicked person. My previous post had nothing to do with unconsciousness.

And as I stated, the life ring in the video has rope around it to make grasping it much easier with your eyes closed (you cannot see much when you are in such a state, flailing and splashing water, trust me......I've BEEN there). No reason the remote cannot have the same rope along with the molded handles.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2019, 10:19 PM
When I said "incapacitated" I meant all forms of inability to help oneself including panic.

I agree that a rope would improve the device.

My quibble is with those who say the device has no utility because everyone in need of a flotation device would be unable to use it due to "panic".
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Feb 02, 2019, 12:01 PM
I see it as an addition to rescue provisions, not as a replacement for a live rescuer. I can't see it being deployed, like life rings, unattended in a public park. Just too much temptation for lowlives plus it would need skilled control.
Feb 02, 2019, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
I can't see it being deployed, like life rings, unattended in a public park. Just too much temptation for lowlives plus it would need skilled control.
For sure. Given the cost (and need for periodic maintenance) this could only really be an accessory for a yacht etc.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Feb 02, 2019, 04:44 PM
Lost in the Sky
This is not a lifesaving solution for every situation, but it is helpful in that it offers an option that doesn't put a lifeguard's life at risk to save someone in trouble in the water.

The frantic fighting victim is a worst case scenario requiring a forceful rescue needing a person to be there, but a mobile life ring could supplement the lifeguard's capabilities.

I've thought of something like a drone with a camera to fly a life ring with a line out to a victim. The camera would tell the drone pilot when to drop the life ring and the line would be used to reel in the victim. Its advantages are speed to the victim since traveling in the air over the sea is much faster than on the sea and the line pulled in by hand or winch assures there will be enough power to reel in the victim. The life ring could have floating loops on its edges to increase its grab-able area

The drone could be quickly flown back to shore to deploy another life ring if needed for multiple swimmers.
Feb 02, 2019, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N
I've thought of something like a drone with a camera to fly a life ring with a line out to a victim.
In use for a year now in Australia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42731112
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Feb 03, 2019, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Good start for a bait boat.
Lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only to think that when I saw it the first time; regular quad drones are being used to fly baits offshore further than you can cast but are limited by the weight of the bait they can carry, some shark baits are half of a ray, and can weigh over 10lbs, that makes this boat a great start with a 200kg capacity. The smaller quads that have cams are great to use for scouting schools of fish.

Quick Reply