U-SAFE Radio Controlled Life Saver

This has to be one of the coolest and most obvious uses for a radio controlled watercraft. U-SAFE is a radio controlled life saver, built to handle the high seas and reach people in the water faster and safer than other methods.

Splash

Radio Controlled Watercraft Can Save Lives

This has to be one of the coolest and most obvious uses for a radio controlled watercraft. U-SAFE is a radio controlled life saver, built to handle the high seas and reach people in the water faster and safer than other methods. It's built to save lives, but can I also say it looks like it would be a total blast to drive around just for the fun of it too.

U-SAFE has what looks like two jet drives for propulsion and steering. You wouldn't want normal boat props hanging out as people will be grabbing on to the back for dear life. It has an RC transmitter that looks intuitive and easy to use with just a simple one handed controller and a thumb stick used to drive the raft. The idea here is you can get close to a drowning person, throw the U-SAFE overboard and drive it right to them quickly. It's a lot harder to safely get close enough to throw a normal float ring and then have the throw be right on target. With U-SAFE you can get it right to the person and drive them to safety. It has a range of 3 miles, autonomous features, can float up to 200KG and has a top speed of 15 knots. Pretty cool stuff!

Check out the U-SAFE Website Here

Jan 30, 2019, 07:22 AM
Cute idea. My questions would be though:

1. How do you keep it charged and ready for instant use over periods of months/years?
2. Where do you keep the transmitter so it's safe and immediately available?

Would be nice to see some pics of the propulsion system!
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jan 30, 2019, 02:12 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Good start for a bait boat.
Jan 30, 2019, 02:29 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Cute idea. My questions would be though:

1. How do you keep it charged and ready for instant use over periods of months/years?
2. Where do you keep the transmitter so it's safe and immediately available?

Would be nice to see some pics of the propulsion system!

I would have to assume:

1. Regularly serviced, like fire extinguishers. Maybe even long-shelf-life chemical batteries ("Pull string to activate"). Many solutions for that.
2. Right there with the safety device. Perhaps both in a receptacle box, again like fire extingushers ("Break glass to...").

MY question as usual is....How much pain would my wallet feel? To put it bluntly, not looking for a $1,500 electric lifesaver ring.
Jan 30, 2019, 02:41 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
I think Buddy the Surf Dog was the first version...

Buddy and the Amazing Technotronic Dreamboard (3 min 30 sec)

This thread is two years old
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Jet-drive-help

And in that two years, the drone version in Australia.

Worlds First Drone Rescue AMAZING! - 2 swimmers off Australian beach (1 min 4 sec)

Jan 30, 2019, 03:23 PM
Chuck
A local company here in southern Arizona has been developing this type of system for several years: https://www.hydronalix.com/emily
Jan 30, 2019, 09:43 PM
I dont know the price of this one, but there are others that look the same costs 3500+
Jan 30, 2019, 10:45 PM
Cool
Jan 31, 2019, 04:53 AM
OK if the person being saved is in a condition to grab hold of it. Any other time needs somebody with hands to assist.
Jan 31, 2019, 03:05 PM
Just Plane Nutts
So, we need a remote lifesaver with robotic arms? Getting right on it, Mr. Musk sir!

Jan 31, 2019, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
OK if the person being saved is in a condition to grab hold of it. Any other time needs somebody with hands to assist.
when i was a young boy, maybe 6 years old, i went to a water park with my family. they had a wave pool where there were artificial waves created. the further out the larger the waves

some dude was right at the back with the biggest waves and started to drown. the lifeguards shutoff the waves and the life guard jumped in and grabbed him. the man was still swinging his arms around after being pulled from under the water for many seconds. he would have been in no shape to try to find/grab an rc life circle.

as cool as this is, no person drowning will be in their right mind to look for this thing. so i would suspect it could only be used for someone that is not currently drowning, but maybe too tired to swim back and they need help to stay afloat. will this be strong enough to pull the person back? if so then great. i think this would only be usable in very specific situations.
Jan 31, 2019, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekim
as cool as this is, no person drowning will be in their right mind to look for this thing.
So when someone is drowning it's far better to nothing....than something?
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Feb 01, 2019, 03:46 AM
Just Plane Nutts
I nearly drowned twice in my life...Once at 4 falling in a pool while walking backwards and again at 10 in a small lagoon when I fell off a styrofoam mini surfboard in too-deep water where I didn't belong. The result of not knowing how to swim until my junior high days.

I can sincerely say that you just flail in panic, trying to grab on to something, anything, to get your head above the surface.

I'd very likely get a grip if the remote had loose lines roped around it like the lifesaver ring seen in the same video, but not sure of those molded-in grip handles. Perhaps if one looped some rope through those handles and all the way around it....
Feb 01, 2019, 10:32 AM
Whether some people "panic and flail" or not is irrelevant. The device is intended to replace a throw life ring. It gives the rescuer the ability to put the flotation device right in the hands of the person in the water. If the person in the water is incapacitated for whatever reason then other measures are called for.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Feb 01, 2019, 12:30 PM
Here's a look at my developments last year,
I'm about to conclude with some more speed,
just waiting for the ice to melt,,,
I've some later test vids on my YT channel,,
Happy New Year Jet Boarders and Friends (1 min 42 sec)

Quick Reply