This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2019, 10:30 AM
Too many? No such thing.
Thread OP
Discussion

The fun world of glue and thread pushrods

I've built a few RACores planes, so the idea of glue and thread push rods is not new to me. Last night after finishing all the soldering, I was doing the aileron pushrods on the Precision Aerobatics (PA) Extra 260. I was really, really taking my time. Despite that, the first attempt was too short when I finally installed it. I took it apart, scrapped the CA and thread off of the CF rod, and started over. The second time it was too long. So now I feel I am missing something because everything looks good until I install it. So the third time while I am adjusting I look around and see what else is moving. I am using the PA CF servo arm extenders. I notice that they are what is moving because I'm not putting in the center screw when I put the arm on because I have never needed to do this in the past. This is my first time using extender arms. So, the third time I was dead on. Aileron 2 was so much faster...until I misplaced the servo screw and crawled around my work area for 10 minutes. You know where it ended up being. It was exactly where I put it to not lose it but forgot about while putting on the glue and heat shrink. After I found it sitting in the servo (from now on they all go back to the screw tray!) and finally got the push rod in place, I decided that would be a good place to stop for the day. I have the elevator servo, pull-pull system, electronics, cowl, prop, and spinner left to install.

It's funny because I have seen some threads where someone builds an entire wing before work or watch the PA build video where they just seemingly throw things together. There are even videos out there of the people on the factories doing the coverings of ARF planes with incredible speed. For the little I have left to do, I know it will probably take over a week to finish. I'm in no rush and having fun. I've been admiring the balsa planes at the clubs for years now and I'm pretty proud of my first ARF so far. I'm sure I'll have fun flying it. I can't wait to have a few others who really know what they are doing put it through the paces and get their feedback on it. Tonight is definitely elevator push rod night and if that goes well I'll start the pull-pull system.
Latest blog entry: Flying Season!
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply