Jan 30, 2019, 05:33 PM
KE your cub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivalSteve
Donít think it will mate.
But what will happen is youíll pay an additional registration fee annually to be able to continue using those sites.
Next up anything RC, cars, boats yachts etc
Hard to take an airliner out with an RC boat unless you've a killer throwing arm.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2019, 05:49 PM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz
No, for decades people have flown rc gliders, planes and helicopters without issue. The last 5 or so years drones have hit the ultra cheap market and anyone with money is buying them and too often, doing something stupid.
I was watching the new years fireworks the other week and saw at least 3 drones flying above the crowds.
Hi Coopz, did you see or hear of anything in here about community consultation?

Maybe I missed something.

Looking on the site where the feedback form is, all consultations were Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane and Dalby (Qld).

Nothing here, though not surprising.

And not that it really matters either. The government have obviously made up their minds.

Just another tax to pay for the enforcement of the tax. /s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
Hard to take an airliner out with an RC boat unless you've a killer throwing arm.
No, not so much throwing at an airliner.

But they will be next, to protect the QM II, just in case an RC yacht rams and sinks her with all hands onboard.
Last edited by vimy g eaou; Jan 30, 2019 at 05:57 PM.
Jan 30, 2019, 06:03 PM
Biomass processor
CASA are following a process, here is the link for community consultation, explanation of the process and further informative links.

Don't now why or if the Associations passed the link around to their members, irrelevant at this point hang them later if need be but get to the link and log an opinion, community consultation closes 22/2/2019

https://consultation.casa.gov.au/reg...gram/pp1816us/
Jan 30, 2019, 08:14 PM
Found this on page 4 of The RPAS Technical Working Group report.

( Mike Snabaitis, Australian Miniature Aerosports Society (AMAS), stated that AMAS Inc maintains
the stance that ALL recreational RPAS operators be registered. Mike also noted that other ICAO
member states operate a registration system that require ALL recreational RPAS operators to
register. )
Jan 31, 2019, 03:40 AM
Thread OP
A friend is saying you will need to register the drone upon purchase? Can anyone find that in the Casa link?

I thought anyone can purchase, but you need to register if outside a casa approved flying field being a recreational flyer.
Jan 31, 2019, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerd18
Do you know why they want registration?

Because if there is unsafe model aircraft/drone activity near your current address, be sure you will be on the watch/questioning/potential suspect list.
This is all very pointless--As 95% of unsafe drone activity to date is done by people who know nothing about rules and regs, or don't want to know. So the status quo wont change.
Feb 01, 2019, 06:14 AM
I hope both MAAA and AMAS are strongly fighting to exempt all model aircraft operators from this proposed scheme. Seems unfortunately that they're not...
Feb 01, 2019, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S
I hope both MAAA and AMAS are strongly fighting to exempt all model aircraft operators from this proposed scheme. Seems unfortunately that they're not...
Then you should read more widely. They are certainly working to have MAAA/AMAS members and flying sites exempt.
Feb 01, 2019, 07:57 PM
Perhaps I should have bolded "all"...

I've been flying RC gliders and electrics on and off for around 30+ years. I'm currently a member of both an MAAA club (mostly glider related) and a AMAS club (mostly small electrics), but at various times haven't been a member of either or both of them.

Under the current CASA drone proposals, the following activities which form the core of my flying activities would all be illegal:
- slope soaring at coastal dunes on public land
- slope soaring at inland flying sites on private land
- DS'ing at private slope sites
- flying a DLG glider down at a nearby vacant block of land
- flying a small electric parkflyer at the local sporting field

I've read through the 47-page report from the CASA technical advisory group which included representatives from both AMAS and MAAA. It doesn't provide any confidence that either body is trying to ensure that the CASA regulations apply to drones only.
Feb 01, 2019, 08:36 PM
I'm the same as you, mostly small electrics and DLG at a sports oval 2 min walk from home. I fly when no or minimal others around, keep it within the field boundaries and mostly under the height of the lighting towers around. Absolute minimal danger but will soon be required to register.

It appears to me that MAAA/AMAS are working to protect members and sites, quite simply why would they need to protect non members? If you want to push for your current activities to be protected by them you'd need to join them and lobby for it to happen.

Of course its mostly politics driven so MAAA/AMAS probably have no real say in the matter anyway, its the political types who feel the need to be seen doing something that are pushing it.
Feb 01, 2019, 09:16 PM
Diesel Danny
I have the same apprehensions as Geoff_S.

Here in Albury/Wodonga a few of us (MAAA members btw) fly slope soarers at Bethanga Gap and Huon's Hill.

Both venues are accessible to the public and I cannot recall a single incident in the 25 years that we have been flying there.

Also a few of us fly floatplanes off of Lake Hume at a secluded spot, but still open to the public. No incidents there either.

The local club does not have a lake at their field so is this the end of all floatplane activities?

Well at least I still have my Free-Flight and Control Line models! As they are not controlled by r/c it looks like they can meander around the sky at will without breaking any rules

Also, how does one put a registration number on a scale model without stuffing the accuracy?

* Danny M *
Feb 01, 2019, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk
I'm the same as you, mostly small electrics and DLG at a sports oval 2 min walk from home. I fly when no or minimal others around, keep it within the field boundaries and mostly under the height of the lighting towers around. Absolute minimal danger but will soon be required to register.
and you'll still be flying illegally !! The proposed rules only cover those flying at registered fields which will exclude the vast majority of school/sporting ovals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk
It appears to me that MAAA/AMAS are working to protect members and sites, quite simply why would they need to protect non members? If you want to push for your current activities to be protected by them you'd need to join them and lobby for it to happen.
I am a member of both. I'm raising it here as a starting point, but disappointed by the narrow self-interest and power struggles from both bodies, and apathy and/or lack of understanding from those flyers who will be affected by it.
Feb 01, 2019, 09:59 PM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S
and you'll still be flying illegally !! The proposed rules only cover those flying at registered fields which will exclude the vast majority of school/sporting ovals.
Exactly!
And I bet our official flying representative bodies think Club Field Only is a good thing for the hobby, but I see it will only shrink the hobby participation and future growth because itíll become illegal for the young ones (who wonít be registering or catching taxis out to remote fields!) to just fly some little foamy or LOS toy drone in their local park.
Ridiculous waste of taxpayers resources.
We already have today a good balance to freedom and paperwork, CASA did well, but now our politicians want something new to keep their hordes of pen pushers busy.
Feb 01, 2019, 11:59 PM
G'day Gang,
The proposed rules will allow you to fly at headlands and the like if you are registered with CASA.
This is according to the written information put out by ANSW. Normal personal insurance would/should cover you but check it out first.
Whether this remains correct will need to be seen of course but this is the current information.
It seems logical [but we are talking about people in Government trying to justify their big pay packets] that anyone who is a member of MAAA [as such] or AMAS already have their registration numbers. To ask us to have another number is simply doubling the paperwork and over complicating things. But that is the way of modern governments so it seems.
I would urge you all to give our 'pilots in command' a chance to do their thing. After all, the rules will affect them as well.
It will not hurt to lobby your local federal member either. After all, they are supposed to help us.
This is how I read the statement and I do not feel like being flamed for it please.
The FAA in the USA tried something similar and ultimately fell on their backsides through good pressure from the AMA and the general membership.
I am somewhat surprised that our Governing body, CASA, is trying the same thing.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Feb 02, 2019, 03:06 AM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongroad2
I would urge you all to give our 'pilots in command' a chance to do their thing. After all, the rules will affect them as well.
The Commercial Drone Industry your mean ... they were apparently some of the main consultants! Of course they'd love these new rules.

Quote:
It will not hurt to lobby your local federal member either. After all, they are supposed to help us.
Good idea!

Quote:
I am somewhat surprised that our Governing body, CASA, is trying the same thing.
As I understand it, politicians with their own agendas essentially forced CASAs hand.
Probably like Trump, only watch the News channels and succumb to the media hysteria around drones.

Quick Reply