Jan 28, 2019, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Big rule changes for Australians

Drone News - Big rule changes for Australians -- ACT NOW! (15 min 23 sec)

Interesting, CASA is looking to introduce model registration for all models above 250grams, unless you're flying at an approved CASA flying field.

Registration is proposed to be $20 per year per person.

You would also need to do a accreditation course that CASA advises will be free, but for how long?

So it looks like more rules, regulations and taxes for this hobby of ours.

Thank you to xjet on Youtube for bringing this to my attention.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2019, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Do you know why they want registration?

Because if there is unsafe model aircraft/drone activity near your current address, be sure you will be on the watch/questioning/potential suspect list.
Last edited by panzerd18; Jan 28, 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Jan 28, 2019, 01:02 AM
Arr pieces of foam me hearties
All the more reason to respond to the survey. In particular those that fly photographic/video optimised drones. Who wants to take photos/videos of the same "approved" flying locations over and over again?
Jan 28, 2019, 06:08 PM
Unregistered User
I've responded to the survey.

One thing I commented on, there wasn't any "community consultation" done in Adelaide.

And now we will have to pay a $20.00 annual tax.

Just for pursuing a hobby that for nearly 100 years, hasn't impacted anyone.
Jan 28, 2019, 07:07 PM
Beady eyed thermal seeker
Bruce got most of it correct, except for the "industry experts" part. The Secretary's of both AMAS and MAAA were part of the working group.

There is one nasty part to the proposal. CASA intend to not allow public parks and beaches to be registered as recognised flying sites. This means the members of any clubs flying at those sites will not be afforded the accreditation and registration exemption. So even though clubs may be affiliated with AMAS or MAAA, members will be treated like joe public and have to register. This affects two clubs in Perth that I know of. I wonder also whether this may affect clubs operating on school ovals as these are generally open and accessible and treated like a park by the public.

Take the time to read the explanatory notes. Some of them are very concerning, some are just hilarious. Like equating the need to licence pilots flying 1-2kg models the same as licencing car drivers driving vehicles weighing 1.5-2 tonne capable of 200+. And someone got paid to come up with that?!

It is worth having a say in this as if we don't, we could end up with some very bad regulations.
Jan 28, 2019, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
My fear is, the rules will be enforced and the community feedback they're seeking is just to tick a box because they have too.
Jan 28, 2019, 08:54 PM
Its an election year fight back..... or like I have switch to boats and cars
Jan 29, 2019, 04:01 AM
Ground Rocket
Makes me hate drones even more..
Jan 29, 2019, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
Your hate is misplaced ...
Jan 29, 2019, 10:28 AM
Arr pieces of foam me hearties
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringswan76 View Post
Bruce got most of it correct, except for the "industry experts" part. The Secretary's of both AMAS and MAAA were part of the working group.

There is one nasty part to the proposal. CASA intend to not allow public parks and beaches to be registered as recognised flying sites. This means the members of any clubs flying at those sites will not be afforded the accreditation and registration exemption. So even though clubs may be affiliated with AMAS or MAAA, members will be treated like joe public and have to register. This affects two clubs in Perth that I know of. I wonder also whether this may affect clubs operating on school ovals as these are generally open and accessible and treated like a park by the public.

Take the time to read the explanatory notes. Some of them are very concerning, some are just hilarious. Like equating the need to licence pilots flying 1-2kg models the same as licencing car drivers driving vehicles weighing 1.5-2 tonne capable of 200+. And someone got paid to come up with that?!

It is worth having a say in this as if we don't, we could end up with some very bad regulations.
This is exactly the issue my school oval based club will have. We have permission, MAAA insurance, signs etc so we are trying to do the right thing. But there is no way we can guarantee the "exclusive access" CASA want for exemption.

Attached is the outcomes of the TWG advisory group meeting in November kindly provided by the MAAA secretary Tyson Dodd in response to an email I sent after finding out about the new regulations. Makes interesting reading. MAAA is represented in the TWG.

Kwaz
Jan 29, 2019, 09:37 PM
Diesel Danny
This is going to make a few local slope soaring sites obsolete as well as a very large local lake.

Accreditation, already done, Dec 2017
Jan 30, 2019, 05:10 AM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
I understand where you are coming from.

Trouble is, it's going to impact everyone.

It will kill off flying gliders off Black Point, Hallett Cove, for starters.

Something that has been done without incident for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
No it isn't. This has all come about since multi-rotor drones became available and were misused.

Now the federal government with the media and the general public on it's side wants to be seen to be doing something and will legislate. Since it wants to be a world leader, it will come up with needless laws that will outdo all other countries.

All thanks to reckless multi-rotor drone operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au_Wozza View Post
Its an election year fight back..... or like I have switch to boats and cars
Those other two RC hobbies are a poor substitute for piloting something that operates on an X,Y,Z axis.
Last edited by vimy g eaou; Feb 02, 2019 at 05:45 PM.
Jan 30, 2019, 07:57 AM
Ground Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
No, for decades people have flown rc gliders, planes and helicopters without issue. The last 5 or so years drones have hit the ultra cheap market and anyone with money is buying them and too often, doing something stupid.
I was watching the new years fireworks the other week and saw at least 3 drones flying above the crowds.
Jan 30, 2019, 07:58 AM
Card carrying pensioner
Not sure it's fair to blame pilots entirely, how about a fair portion of blame be attributed to the manufacturers/distributors of RPA/drones that enable these pilots to commit acts that affect us all.
Not sure that making new rules will stop idjits being idjits. The current CASA rules always seemed simple but achievable to me, what doesn't appear to be happening is that those who have been caught getting smacked with a BIG stick and the occasion being made public knowledge.
CASA should be advertising their successful prosecutions, I would happily pay a "registration fee" to fund that.
Jan 30, 2019, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz View Post
This is going to make a few local slope soaring sites obsolete as well as a very large local lake.

Accreditation, already done, Dec 2017
Don’t think it will mate.
But what will happen is you’ll pay an additional registration fee annually to be able to continue using those sites.
Next up anything RC, cars, boats yachts etc

Quick Reply